Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredmsgt2
New RV'r Taken For A Ride

I wanted to go fulltime, and visited a highly recommended Used RV lot. Became infatuated with a 2003 Safari DP, and was told that it was completely checked out and ready for the road. Financing was approved, and smiles all around as I left the lot with my high expectations. Took it to a local Corps of Engineers Park for a test. Everything good for a few days, but went to dump holding tanks and the bottom fell out...literally. Sewer pipe fell out and left me a mess (no pun intended) to clean up. Tried to make temp repairs, but grey water still leaked. Packed up to go home but RV would not start. Called dealership and they sent men to start it and drive it back to their mechanics. Dealership was faithful to make repairs, and presently have my MH after other parts came in. If you are new to RVing, recommend you take someone knowledgeable with you when you make your selection. I am new to diesel engines, so have had to learn a whole new language about driving, transmissions, tire pressure, etc. We are downsizing and selling our home so have to give careful thought to what goes with us. Study before you buy, look before you leap...but do enjoy the freedom of the road.
retiredmsgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi retiredmsgt2 and welome to the forum. Sounds like quite an experience for the first trip out. Welcome to RVing. It also sounds like your RV dealer did the right thing in getting your coach repaired.. Sound advice in saying that it would be good for a novice to take a knowledgeable person with them in checking out a potential purchase. Hopefully, all will go some from here on out.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Heartland RV Club
Welcome to the forum ,it will only get better.
I am sitting at a Corps park right now...Cotton Hill Ga.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Don't trust the place you buy it from, take it to a shop without a vested interest for a once over.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A full check-up by an independent is good advice, but won't guarantee you a trouble-free RV. I know it seems horrifying to have something (messy!) like that happen, but the key thing is the RV dealership is stepping up to the plate and fixing it. We had alot of "break-in" issues with our RV (almost everyone has) one of which was the stovetop melting (yes, literally melting) due to faulty gas connections, and ours was considered "new" and "certified".

So, don't fret too much if you have initial issues. The good thing is the dealership is on board w/ fixing them. Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Welcome to the forum. When you get your coach back go back to the Corp site with a PDI checklist and spend several days goig over everything. THEN enjoy the M/H and the places it will take you.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #7

Sorry about your first adventures, but welcome to the forum...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Think of the repairs you make to your house and then imagine sliding wheels under it and driving it down the road.

Sorry to hear your first trip went bad for you. It really does get better. You may spend a bit of time finding the hidden gotchas but you'll survive that. The next mode you shift in to is again similar to your house when you start looking at things to modify or personalize.

Good luck and keep your chin up.

Once you have it back it might be worthwhile to have an independent pre delivery inspection (PDI) performed.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
DKO

Ouch

The holding tank experience brings back bad memories. So does the feeling of being overwhelmed with all of the things to learn with an older used unit and wondering if you have just made the biggest mistake of your life.

I was never quite sure if the switch, valve, panel, inverter, appliance or thingamabob was broken or if I just didn't know how to operate it. I nearly had a nervous break down.

But, IT DOES GET BETTER! You will make it. I have learned a lot just reading here the last year or so. Don't hesitate to ask for help. There are some very knowledgeable folks on here.

DKO
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmsgt2 View Post
I wanted to go fulltime, and visited a highly recommended Used RV lot. Became infatuated with a 2003 Safari DP, and was told that it was completely checked out and ready for the road...
Sarge, you're off to a great start, I hope.

I mean, we all have to burn at least one pair of shoes, you've filled that square. And, the dealer is giving the rig a good going-over.

It'll be like drinking out of the fire hydrant for awhile; that's what all of us are here for.

Hang in there, lean on your friends at iRV2!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKO View Post
...So does the feeling of being overwhelmed with all of the things to learn with an older used unit and wondering if you have just made the biggest mistake of your life.

I was never quite sure if the switch, valve, panel, inverter, appliance or thingamabob was broken or if I just didn't know how to operate it. I nearly had a nervous break down.
Truer words never spoken!! We are also new RVers and sometimes the amount of "stuff" to learn seems overwhelming!

Sorry you had a bad maiden voyage, Retiredmsgt2! Hopefully things will get better for you. Glad your dealer stepped up to the plate for ya. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Master Sargent, that should be a good motorhome for you to enjoy your retirement in once you get to know it and get on top of the initial set of issues. When you own a motorhome there is always something that needs fixed (even if you don't 'think' anything is broken). Welcome and don't give up. It will get better the more you learn. You are fortunate the dealer is helping you - some don't answer the phone once the check clears. I would say he is trying to do you right.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

Once you have it back it might be worthwhile to have an independent pre delivery inspection (PDI) performed.
A LITTLE late for a PDI done one it's paid for and delivered to the buyer don't you think?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for first experience to be a bad one. It does happen though. When you go to pick up your coach have them go over the entire coach with you. Most dealers would have a dump station as well. Have them fill those new tanks with water (and I do mean fill them) and check for any leaks. Not just the tanks but the valves as well. Most diesels have a good CCC rating I hope yours does as well. Well, again welcome to the forum and when you do have problems post them here I'm sure someone will be able to help. Enjoy all your future travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote