Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
A couple of tips:
1.) Check address sent from. Often the sender will say 'Walmart' but then it's @VDRCFYU.com -- IE. check it's from who it says it's from.

2.) Do they address you by your name or just 'Dear Customer.' Also, if you have your email set up to display your real name, a program can be written to just fill in a blank in the email with your name. If you misspell the name, or put your nickname, you won't be fooled.

3.) No packing slip, notice, or file attachment would be sent as a .zip or .html type of file. These types of files could contain an automatic opening virus or program.

4.) Don't click on a link in an email. The link could be a spoof of a real website. Always use a saved bookmark that you know links to the website or business.

5.) No real business opportunity will contact you out of the blue, with references to God or Jesus, offering you an easy, labor free way to make big bucks.

6.) The Director of the F.B.I. doesn't know you.

7.) Court summons are sent by process servers or deputy sheriffs, not email. If you get a court notice to appear, look at the attached file type, it will be as described in #3.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #16

Lots of this type of scam out there trying to get something for nothing. Everyone has to be very careful and let your other family members know as well so no one gets hurt.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
I have seen quite a few of these "can't be delivered" emails in the past few weeks. BUT, none of them have gotten thru to my regular email, but rather, end up in the gmail spam folder.

For those of you who use gmail but don't ever go in and check your spam folder, you should check it out every once in awhile.

Not only can't they deliver your packages, but the lonely women and men who want to get in contact with you are not able to do so, your friend or family member who recently passed has left you a ton of money that needs to be delivered, and your missing some really good deals on Rolex's.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #18

I got one from FedX about 4 days after I had placed an order on eBay. My cursor had almost reached the icon before my cynical nature kicked in. I called the local FedX instead and heard "oh yeah that happens often - we don't have any thing for you" The next day my package came by regular mail.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
I got one from FedX about 4 days after I had placed an order on eBay. My cursor had almost reached the icon before my cynical nature kicked in. I called the local FedX instead and heard "oh yeah that happens often - we don't have any thing for you" The next day my package came by regular mail.

Have a nice day - Darrel

You dodged a bullet on that one for sure!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I have seen them for a long time now only a moron would respond to them.I guess there are a lot of stupid old folks wandering around. I'm old but not one of them..Its amazing to me how some of the old folks let themselves get duped by this nonsense..
I think this post is one of the most offensive I have ever seen on this site. The positing "only a moron" would respond to [scam emails] demonstrates an assumed position of intellectual superiority that is contemptuous of any lessor intellect. Unfortunately, not everyone is as well informed and prepared to fend off attempts to deceive as the poster. Launching insults at those who might be victims serves no one.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Get the quite often too - the BLOCK E-Mail addressee works for me.
Same here.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #22

If you have any doubts, just go to the site of FedEx or UPS and do a track as they have all that you need for that and in that way you will know for sure that you are at the proper site. Those emails are actually pretty common and they are listed on most all of the warning lists.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I have seen them for a long time now only a moron would respond to them.I guess there are a lot of stupid old folks wandering around. I'm old but not one of them..Its amazing to me how some of the old folks let themselves get duped by this nonsense..

Well, here's a source that can be ignored. I learned a long time ago that people who make a point of telling you how smart / skillful / clever they are usually aren't.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
I think this post is one of the most offensive I have ever seen on this site. The positing "only a moron" would respond to [scam emails] demonstrates an assumed position of intellectual superiority that is contemptuous of any lessor intellect. Unfortunately, not everyone is as well informed and prepared to fend off attempts to deceive as the poster. Launching insults at those who might be victims serves no one.
Maybe we dummies can get together around a campfire and work up a "long con"... oh never mind. Not worth the effort and what goes around comes around. It'll eventually take care of itself.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
If you have any doubts, just go to the site of FedEx or UPS and do a track as they have all that you need for that and in that way you will know for sure that you are at the proper site. Those emails are actually pretty common and they are listed on most all of the warning lists.

Kirk, the e-mails that I received don't give any tracking number, just a link to click on for more info. I'm afraid that click would be disastrous!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post

Have a nice day - Darrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Kirk, the e-mails that I received don't give any tracking number, just a link to click on for more info. I'm afraid that click would be disastrous!

Got a 'notice' from 'Fedex' just today, my spam filter put it in the appropriate folder but thought I's share some clues as to why it's not real.

First, the address: FedEx SmartPost <support@dwstest.com>
It says it's from Fedex, but then the address should read: "@Fedex.com"

The message:

Dear Customer,

Your parcel has arrived at December 19. Courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.
To receive your parcel, print this label and go to the nearest office.

Notice the lack of details, no name, no address information. Also the poor grammar, "Your parcel has arrived at December 19" It should read, "Your parcel has arrived on December 19." Still not good grammar, but passable.

The link in the email: (h)ttp://files.klax-tv.com/list.php?fd=rWJTxZr5bn7BCExnFizxPVAmx33Dxm+Mast5OF p630GnD8fo=
My copy of a Fedex label is posted on 'klax-tv.com"

By the way, clicking on the link brought up a message: "This program is not compatible with your operating system, Compatible operating systems are: Windows 8
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98SE

Obviously is was a PROGRAM that would load and run on a Windows machine, not a shipping label from Fedex.

Finally, the Header: In your email program you can view the full header of an email. This email has the following header:
===========================================
Return-Path: <anonymous@ds8864.dedicated.turbodns.co.uk>
Received: from mx-mcdonald.atl.sa.earthlink.net ([207.69.195.177])
by mdl-compact.atl.sa.earthlink.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with SMTP id 1y4Bfd1Ub3Nl37e0; Fri, 26 Dec 2014 15:12:19 -0500 (EST)
Received: from ds8864.dedicated.turbodns.co.uk ([217.199.164.217])
by mx-mcdonald.atl.sa.earthlink.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 1y4Bfc3tD3Nl36F0
for <xxxxxxx@mypacks.net>; Fri, 26 Dec 2014 15:12:18 -0500 (EST)
Received: (qmail 28572 invoked by uid 10086); 26 Dec 2014 21:37:02 +0000
Date: 26 Dec 2014 21:37:02 +0000
Message-ID: <20141226213702.28180.qmail@ds8864.dedicated.turbo dns.co.uk>
To: xxxxxx@mypacks.net
Subject: Delivery Status Notification
X-PHP-Originating-Script: 10086:.include82.php(241) : eval()'d code
X-Mailer: MicrosoftCDOforExchange2000
Reply-To: "FedEx SmartPost" <support@dwstest.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;boundary="----------1419629822549DD4FE7D025"
X-ELNK-Received-Info: spv=1;
X-ELNK-AV: 0
X-ELNK-DA: xxxxxxx@mypacks.net
======================================
Notice it's return path is: anonymous@ds8864.dedicated.turbodns.co.uk an address in the United Kingdom (.UK)

A legitimate return path would be "@Fedex.com"

Besides that, there's other evidence that the email has bounced around through different accounts to hide it's origin. Look at the header of a personal email from a friend and it will be more direct than the header above.

You don't have to play detective to such detail as I did above, but I did love Sherlock Holmes' powers of observation and deduction growing up! If you pay attention to only parts of the above clues to it's fraudulent origins, you won't be tricked.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
BFlinn181, if that's indeed a "real" scam address in your post above - it would be good to change it so no one accidentally clicks on it...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
BFlinn181, if that's indeed a "real" scam address in your post above - it would be good to change it so no one accidentally clicks on it...
Thanks Joe, the forum automatically added 'url' to the link, making it an address. I certainly didn't want to. Took three tries to keep it from automatically converting it. Now I've modified the link to be bogus.

Bob & Donna