RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #15

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
I would do the same as you have Joe

Having friends and family in and out is great.

Heat on also keeps moisture and mold at bay.

Enjoy

HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would NOT forgo antifreeze in traps, having returned from 10,000 miles/6months travel to a roach problem beyond belief when the person watching my house did NOT ensure the drain went dry!!!!

GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would NOT forgo antifreeze in traps, having returned from 10,000 miles/6months travel to a roach problem beyond belief when the person watching my house did NOT flush/ run facets to ensure the drains didn't go dry!!!!
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We go south every winter for 2 1/2 months. I set the thermostat at 50, open all cabinet doors near sinks. I shut the water off at the valves under the sinks but the kitchen. I always lose the argument with the wife. She has someone come over once a week to water her plants. I turn the hot water tank to pilot. Also put a couple of table lamps on timers to go off and on at night.

FWIW. Years back, my in-laws were gone for a month. They came home to a flooded house. A pipe under the bathroom sink (compression fitting) had let go and water had run for who knows how long. What a mess!

P.S. donít forget the washer water lines too.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Sell the house, sell the furniture. Next summer go to the PNW!.

I love that idea. The wife not so much.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #20

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I hadn't thought to turn the well pump off at the breaker, but I will probably do that.
We had to replace the HVAC system last year and so now have a thermostat that connects to the WIFI so I van monitor and even change it over my phone.
As for the cameras I stumbled on Wyze. They are pretty affordable and don't require any subscription service. You get 14 days free cloud storage and you can put in a memory card also.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shut the water off. If you have a well, turn pump power off.

Make sure your sump pump has power.

Make sure water heater is OFF.

Drain the water lines, flush the toilets.

Open cabinet doors and pull drawers out a couple inches so warm air can get in and behind.

Have a nice trip.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #22

On previous 5&1/2 mo. summer trips, we would pour a small amount of veggie oil in the toilet bowls and never had the traps dry up. This past 2&1/2 mo. trip, we had dry traps in both baths and dead sewer flies everywhere...well, very few were still alive but easily dispatched. Lesson learned...Won't forget that little step again.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #23

We winter in Az and live in Montana. So we summerize and winterize. Whenever we leave for more than a day, we shut of water to the house. You have a well, so just shut off the power to the pump. Your well will winter just fine without you. Turn off the power to your water heater and drain it as well. Ours tend to get stinky if we don't. We float a bit of cooking oil in the toilets and traps. Doesn't evaporate like antifreeze or water. Set the thermostat at 50 or 85 depending on which house and heat or cool. In Montana we use a plug in thermostat that turns on a light if the temp drops below 40. If our neighbor sees that light come on, we call our son to come check it out.

We have our water shut-off in Montana in a crawl space that took some effort to get to. I purchased an electric valve from Amazon that I installed. Now we just push a button to turn water on or off. Very easy so we do it now whenever we leave.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #24

We are in Southern Ohio and spent 2 great winters in the Florida Keys. Before we left we drained the hot water heater, turned all water off at the meter and set the house temps at around 55 degrees. Only issue we had was our first year it was the washer, didn't drain the lines and the pump froze up. Easy fix, got a new washer! Our daughter stopped in and checked things about once a week if the temps were really bad but all was good. Enjoy your journey!
Luv2sqdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #25

My brother lived in southern Ohio for many years. After retiring he and my SIL usually went to their timeshare in FL for a few months in the winter. They always managed to winterize their home adequately until one winter it got especially cold.
They came back one time to find a lot of water damage and mold on everything in their garage even though they kept the house furnace operating. The culprit was bare copper water pipes running the length of the garage near the ceiling and an exterior wall that split. Their garage was unheated as most are and they had grown complacent over the years.

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice