Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New snowbirds heading North

This is our first year of being residents of the sunbelt for the entire winter. Until now our only use of our current and previous motorhomes has been mid May to mid September.

We now must go home to Saskatchewan from Tucson and we were wondering what you all do for your trip North in Spring. We will be leaving next week and the temperature at home is still 1-3 degrees F. When do you dump your tanks? Do you sleep in your MH all the way our give up at some point and stay in hotels? What do you do with food items and liquids that may freeze? Any tips for winter driving in a 35ft MH plus toad?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whenever we come back home (from US or CAN), we dump the black/grey Tank the morning before getting home, use the food up as much as it is possible and move the rest into the house (if you still have a stick and brick)..... even in SASK it is getting warmer.... maybe just add some RVantifreeze into the black/grey Tanks. Use the fresh water up on the drive home. If possible plug the MH in at home, so that you could heat overnight a bit. You don't have to sleep in the MH, unless you want to!
Have a safe trip home
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm3206 View Post
This is our first year of being residents of the sunbelt for the entire winter. Until now our only use of our current and previous motorhomes has been mid May to mid September.

We now must go home to Saskatchewan from Tucson and we were wondering what you all do for your trip North in Spring. We will be leaving next week and the temperature at home is still 1-3 degrees F. When do you dump your tanks? Do you sleep in your MH all the way our give up at some point and stay in hotels? What do you do with food items and liquids that may freeze? Any tips for winter driving in a 35ft MH plus toad?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hi Norm,

I have the same rig. BTW, I love it. You should be able to find dump stations all the way up and careful looks at the weather ahead are worth while. Don't know about services in Sask but if you think you may have trouble finding dump locations, dump at your furthest North possibility and motel it the last day or two. Best to be safe.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
norm...
when plugged in to shore power, i use 3 metal drop cord trouble lights with 100w bulbs, 1 each, in the water pump compartment, the main water tank compartment, and the aft water service compartment. a 100w bulb puts out about 300 btu's of heat. when not plugged in, the propane furnace should keep the tanks and lines from freezing. i also run the propane water heater as necessary to keep the water pump compartment from freezing when not plugged in. i have 3 remote sensing indoor-outdoor temperature gauges to monitor the basement compartment temperatures, from walmart and harbor freight. i used wire type temp gauges, but wireless are easier to install and are available for a little more $. when plugged in to shore power, i use 2 thermostat controlled 1500w fan type box heaters in the moho, mostly set on the low 750w setting.
if i remember correctly, electricity in canada is mainly 220v. i don't know how you would deal with that in an rv.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #5

I think you have been given very good suggestions ... remote sensing thermometers, run the LP furnace, and trouble lights for overnight ...

The only thing I would add is to buy 4 gallons of either windshield washer fluid or RV antifreeze (whichever is cheaper) and dump two gallons down each of your holding tanks.

Organize your food preparation so that you do not have many dishes to do ... eat on paper plates ...

I think you can stay in your motorhome comfortably (just make sure your LP tank is at least 1/4 full all the time!!!) ... we live in Wisconin and leave there in January ... it has been in the single digits for the first day of travel more than once ... we stay in our motorhome and run the LP furnace day and night ... (the heat loss is more than what the front heater can keep up with when it is cold and you are going down the road 60 MPH)

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote