Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
New Swing-away Bike Rack for behind the Camper

New Swing-away Bike Rack for behind the Camper

Well, for the last few trips where I’ve brought along bikes with me, I’ve used my trusty old el-cheapo Harbor Freight swing down bike rack.

It’s served well, held up decently through some abuse, but it was a pain in the butt to tip down and lift back up (trying to hold two heavy bikes up and push a pin thorough a hole at the same time is in no way what I’d call “Fun”) and required running a long length of chain through the bikes and then through the hitch extension to lock them in place.

So, I finally decided to invest some money into a new swing-away style bike rack that also locks the bikes in place.

I started up a few threads on various RV forums to get a feel for what was commonly used and the price range for most of them.

I just about had a heart attack after looking up the Thule and Yakima racks at nearly $500 apiece, ouch!

Then, google came to my rescue, along with Amazon.com, and I located a Surco OSI DBR-300 three bike swing-away style bike rack on Amazon.com for $225 + free shipping!

The few complaints were minor, mostly dealing with bolt threads binding from the bike rack being left constantly out in the weather by the owner. A simple fix for a handy many such as me is to lather the threads with a little anti-seize and no rust up problems to be had .

Bike rack ordered, I waited patiently for it to ship in.

Finally, the happy day came and my box arrived, sadly mid-work week, so I had to wait till the weekend before I could get a day with daylight in it (it’s dark by the time I get home from work).

Assembly was very easy, the only tool I needed was a crescent wrench to tighten down the big bolt that secures the swing arm to the section that slides into the receiver.

And then putting the carriage bolts in place on the top pivot arm along with their springs and handles.

It’s just simply that easy.

I gave everything that was going to be loosened and tightened frequently a coating of anti-seize to protect it from the Oregon weather and I was done.

The bikes secure in place via a beefy top metal plate that is tightened down via two screws. The one with the big handle on it has a key that can lock it so that the handle cannot be backed back off.

Something else I really liked

Bike Rack in action

Now, as you saw, on the truck, the swing away rack bumped the rear tire a little into the truck’s bumper.

With the hitch extension in place, the bike rack will actually be roughly 12” behind the camper, giving the rack more than plenty of room to fully pivot the bike 90 degrees without getting caught up on the camper itself, giving me a straight path in and out of my door.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the post and pictures. This may be what I was looking for.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Looks like you are ready to do some traveling on the bike with the panniers and racks.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
Looks like you are ready to do some traveling on the bike with the panniers and racks.
And there's a tow hitch on her as well for the cargo trailer I used to tow behind the bike. Many years ago I used to put a thousand plus miles a summer on that bike, now she's lucky to see a hundred.

Had her a long time, too, got it back in 1993 out of an insurance claim after getting run over by a lady on a very early generation cellphone driving a Cadillac.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice set up. I'll have to put one those on my list. Looks like you do some heavy duty riding. Also looks like you soon going to need to replace or recover that bike seat.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc
Nice set up. I'll have to put one those on my list. Looks like you do some heavy duty riding. Also looks like you soon going to need to replace or recover that bike seat.
Yeah the years haven't been too kind to it, just haven't gotten to searching for a new spring loaded unit yet.