Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you mean Double Coin; not Double star. I have been running the Chinese Dynatrac (same company as Double Coin) for almost 10000 miles with no problems at all. As mentioned above, you might be surprised how many tires are made in China. I did a fair amount of research prior to buying these and found horror stories about every brand out there - not just the "Chinese" ones...

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U, F53, V-10, Trimetric batt monitor, Scangauge II, 5 Star Tune, TST 507 TPMS
krautkamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Foretravel Owners Club
I run the Michelin, but also have run the Continental, feel they are on a par with Michelin.
Yes, FMCA in cahoots with Michelin, you can save some real bux.
Merry Christmas
Dave M

Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
I bought tires nearly two years ago. I narrowed it down to: Continental, Hankook, Toyo. I fussed and fretted, thought, rethought. My biggest thought was to NOT have a blowout and tear up my motor home. I got a decent price on Michelin, but would have accepted any of the above three also.

I would NOT accept any of the Chinese tires because I have heard too may bad stories in my three month investigation.

I see you are fairly near OK City. Check out truck tire dealers there, get a firm price, then cry over the price. I paid over $ 3,000 for mine and haven't had any problems on this set or the previous set.
Traveling America In
"God's Grace"
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #18
Lots of good tires out there priced way less than Michelin, General, Kelly, Hercules, Dunlop, Toyo, Cooper, Othsu(Japan) just put 6 on mounted bal.out the door $2700.00, the list goes on. Make sure you get the proper load range usually H, especally on the steer axle. Shop around see what you can find.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 295/80 is a very expensive tire - it is pretty much a large motorhome-only tire, so a specialty item with limited sales volume and price competition. Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone make that size; many of the others do not. The Bridgestone (R250, I think is the model) is your best bet for a lower price on a top-brand tire - they run about $150/tire less than either GY or Michelin. Continental may be another good option - I think they have recently added that size to their HSR2 line. They are an excellent tire and well known in the commercial tire world - I'm using 4 Continental 11R222.5's on my rear axle myself.

I would be very hesitant to use an unknown brand on my front wheels.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gary is right on the Brisgestone, the 295/ 80 R 22.5 is a 16 ply rating tire, and the bridgestone in that size is around 650 to 750 and up, depending on where you get them. I run them on my 10 wheeler on the steer axle, and they are a good tire.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Commercial Member
Things to consider

I did a post specifically on "What is the best tire". I did not give a brand name as there are too many variables and a tire good for Fred may not be the best for Bill.
What I tried to do is to outline items I think should be considered.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Hinkle Interstate Tire
Exit 201 Interstate 75
Jackson Ga
Call in advance my son will give you the best prices on tires

rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote