Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

New to forum... Sort of

Hello folks,

I been lurking around and posting questions in various sections but forgot to say Hi :-)

I am Edward a 50 year old disabled Veteran. I am still researching the costs of Full time RV living and what RV I want to try to get (Leaning toward a small to medium Class A and tow my car behind it) I am told if I plan to park in one place 3-6 months at a time I can live a lot cheaper than if I go rent or get a mortgage on a home. I will be debt free in a couple Months no life savings to speak of. I was hoping the RV lifestyle would be affordable for me and my Service Dog on $3,000 a month. Is this possible?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Better late than never

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome Edward and thank for your service and sacrifice for our freedom and safety. Yes you can full time conservatively on 3k a month. I would recommend the sw part of the country. Lower space rent and milder weather. Central to sw Texas is great. Fuel is a big cost but if you stay put for a while you can control that. Next would be rent 350-500 a month here in Texas for a decent park but not resort living. Next would be food. DON'T eat out lol or budget a weekly splurge. An emergency fund of a few K is essential for the unexpected but inevitable break down. I don't know what your disability is but look into work camping. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Edward! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang here!

We are getting ready to try the fulltiming thing in a few months. Hope it works out for you!

Thank you for your service to our country!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
A belated

For your service.

Glad you're aboard Ed. Best of luck in your decision on going FT. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #6

Greetings Edward! Glad that you are here.

My wife & I both live on about what you have so there should be no great problem, but you do need an RV to do so in. I suggest that you start your research by doing some reading by getting a book or two on fulltime RV living from the local library or if you prefer you can get them from Amazon. You can also learn a great deal by visiting the websites of those who post on these forums, as many of us do keep websites and I invite you to start by visiting Kirk & Pam's RV Adventure. You can find many of those in the signature lines of posts.

On living cheaply, we found that we saved a lot of money by volunteering in return for an RV site and we also had some great experiences. This can be a wonderful way of life!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

There's plenty of info of the RV lifestyle on the forum. You say you will be debt free but how will you pay for the RV? You can stay in parks for any amount of money depending on the quality and amenities. You can join up for discounts and memberships. Start researching parks. It's back to school and it's best you do it yourself, everyone has their own opinion. There are small parks where people without savings live out their life, helping each other. You can stay for free in the desert on gov't land, called dry camping or boon docking, something you may want to research.
It may be costlier since your RV will be depreciating and some day may fall apart as you are still young.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #8

Well I feel I have 3 Choices in life once out of Debt. 1. Continue to rent and hope it does not Skyrocket as I get older (It Will) 2. Buy my first home and hope it is where I really want to live. Or 3. Get a RV travel Full Time till I find where I want to settle down and Live.

3 choices on getting a RV 1. wait save cash for a decent one MOST of the ones I found at local RV store I liked were $85,000-$180,000 Used So it could be a LONG wait. 2. Go back in Debt for a RV Loan. 3. Buy a real cheap used one even if I do not like it and try to save money faster while learning the Lifestyle.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #9

If you really want the RV lifestyle, that's what the decision is. Saving up is just delaying the inevitable and will probably cost you more due to inflation. Find a late model trade in that just arrived that will suit your needs and buy a service contract. Let the sales managers at the dealerships know what you want.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

Let's be realistic and talk about option #3. IMHO, going this way could be an absolute disaster pretty easily.

You would need to be able to spot a diamond coach while sorting through all sorts of .... "stuff". That's going to take some patience. There will be no warranty. On any potential "diamond", coachwork (appliances, roof, ceiling, windows, etc.) and chassis (engine, brakes, cooling system, etc.) would almost certainly need inspection by somebody you trust to supply you with fully qualified no BS straight talk. These inspections are the only thing between you and expensive or near impossible repairs (a blown engine in a 3500 - 5000 dollar coach will likely total it. Same with a roof you can't get to stop leaking).

Once you've found one of those "diamonds", to stay on budget, you should be able and willing to accomplish almost any required repair work. To assume that will be at any sort of minimum level would likely be a mistake. There are likely several pretty good reasons that coach is available on the cheap?

Honestly, to pull this off (plan #3) with much in the way of a physical disability is going to take friends willing to help, or an unusual level of dedication, on an ongoing basis. Long term? Sorry to say I'm not sure how you could do it. Short term, say to find an area of the country that you'd like to stay in long term? It would be a gamble, but you might get that to work for you.....

This add was posted in a string here the other day. I know nothing about it, other than it looks like it might be a great candidate for what you want to do, and it appears to be well taken care of. Point being, they're out there, but you're going to look through a lot of junk to find one.

Vintage 78 Avco MotorCoach 28'-Classic

Not trying to discourage, only provide straight talk. Absolute best of luck! -Al
Old 11-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #11

I have absolutely no mechanical or handyman skills I was the family tech/geek while my brothers were the diesel mechanics, farmers hands on types. To give you an idea how hopeless I am I have 2 door knobs I have to jiggle the knob back and forth on to finally get open. I called landlord many times to no avail. Took them apart cleaned and lubricated them still same issue last time took over 2 min to get the door open. I hope I never have a fire I will be toast. But if I can not fix a door knob maybe I should not own any dwelling and continue to rent. The RV is a dream not (while I was young/healthy enough to enjoy it) I just thought it would be cheaper even if just a little but maybe it is more than I could learn to handle....I need to step back and rethink my realistic options.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #12

In my experience, geeks are resourceful folks who frequently get what they want in the end.

Have another go at what you're trying to do. Maybe renting short term, with something a little simpler than a full on class A sitting in the driveway? Something you can overnight in for a night or 2 - like a van? That might let you exercise a little of the vagabond in you, and who knows what you could trip into from there? Best of luck! -Al
Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My suggestions would be in the following order:

1. Determine if your present car can be towed 4-down. If so, this will not require you to have another expense such has purchasing one that is towable 4-down or having to buy a tow dolly for the one you have.
2. Look at some of the larger newer pre-owned class c's with 1-2 slides. These can be found to be more affordable in many ways than a class A and easier to work on for minor things .
3. When you find one to possibly purchase, do your homework on what your willing to pay, list any repairs that "must" be done(in writing on the purchase order), as a lot of dealers seem to have selective hearing after the sale but will say anything before.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

ahicks and everyone:
Thank you all for your suggestions, hints and advice and mostly your encouragement This is a HUGE and scary desire for me and I know I am hemming back and forth from day to day on what I want.

JC2:
1. My current car is a 2012 Prius V must be towed front wheels on a Dolly, I am considering paying it off completely putting it up for sale and putting the money towards a Ford C-Max (Think I can get more than if I used the Prius as a Trade-in and lower the monthly payments) same motor but the transmission allows 4 wheels on the ground towing and I do not have to give up my MPG but it does mess up the I am out of Debt feeling when adding the cost of the RV payments as well.
I also am wondering if I should just keep the Prius (Save money to pay cash for a 4 wheels on the ground tow-able later That would only take 3 years.) learn to get used to a Dolly (Limiting myself on where I can camp due to storage space for the Dolly when parked.

2. I have considered a Class C as a lets get this dream started while I save option. Trying to find some thing affordable to live in long term and learn while I save to pay cash for a better one more in line with what I (THINK) I want.

Tags
forum