Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #15

I have a battery switch to disconnect the batteries. Then I connect a Battery Tender about 3 to 4 days per month. With this setup, I have no worry about over-charging, converter over-use or failure, and power surges from nearby lightening strikes.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have a storage garage for mine and do not plugin. Turn house batteries off and also make sure everything is off. On some MH's there is a switch for chassis batteries/battery also, some not. Mine I have no problem some do and need to install a switch on the chassis battery as well. I do run my Gen monthly to keep the batteries an Gen up.

LEN
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #17

Our 95 class A was kept plugged in. I am doing this with our new 5vr. The battery disconnects worked fine on the mh. Don't do squat on this 5vr... I will install a actual disconect on the battery. Other than that, plugged in,, ready to roll.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #18

It really depends upon your converter. Some overcharge and others "float charge". On my 2008 WBGO Aspect it overcharges the batteries and boils out the water if left plugged in for long periods. If I left mine plugged in (I don't except when in use) I'd check the water level in my batteries at least once a week if not more often. Once the plates are exposed they will sulfate and ruin the battery quickly. When I can afford it, I plan to replace my converter with one that will not boil my batteries. In the meantime I have to keep a constant eye on the water levels.

I have a battery shut off switch and I use a battery tender connected across both batteries to maintain them over winter or long term storage. I also exercise the generator under a load for 2 hours monthly when in storage as recommended by Onan.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep ours plugged into a 30A outlet to keep the batteries charged and to keep the fridge on.

You do have to monitor the water level in the batteries to be sure the charger does not boil the water out and ruin them!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #20

I installed a smart converter in my 2004 model this year and have started to keep it plugged into house current when not be used. I no longer have battery water boil down when plugged in for extended periods and I attribute that to the float cycle in the new convertor
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in MI

We do not keep ours plugged in because where we store it when not in use there is no electrical. We go out and run the generator once a month and had no problem with the batteries keeping a charge this past year. It was our first year. Plan to do the same this year.

LB
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #22

It's good to run the genset once a month but that doesn't do much to extend the life of your battery sets.

A better way during unpowered storage is to disconnect the ground from each battery set until you need to start the genset or the engine.

As most RVs have a parasitic battery draw that slowly drains the batteries over time, even with the salesman's switches Off, disconnecting the batteries ensures that nothing but time will discharge them. The starting battery is especially prone to discharge as it has items like the tranni, engine, and radio memory powered up all the time.

Remember that a battery is 50% discharged at 12.2 Volt and is fully discharged at 11.8 Volt. Although batteries will survive repeated discharges to below 50%, they do shorten life.

As the batteries age, or if you miss a trip to start it one month, there will come a day when you have to get a jump to start it. To delay that day, it's best just to get in the habit of disconnecting the grounds when its going to be sitting for more than a few days without power. BTW, the typical roof top solar panel that often comes as an option on RVs is only 8 watt, putting out a measly 0.667 amps, and is hardly suited to keep a RV battery charged.

I keep an adjustable wrench and a pair of gloves in the battery compartment just for this job. Takes just a minute or two to be ready to start and go.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #23

FWIW the parasitic drain on low end campers is mostly the internal resistance of the battery. It cannot be shut off. On higher end units with a BIRD it's the BIRD controller. If you have a single stage converter there is a significant chance you will cook the batteries dry and ruin them if you leave it plugged in. If you have a 3 or 4 stage converter you will probably be fine. That seems to say to leave the multi stage plugged in and the single stage un plugged. I do that.

Either way best practice is to check the water level and charge periodically. I'd do it weekly for a while then add a week at a time. If you are adding water consider unplugging. When you see a significant drop to around 80% charge then plug in for a couple of days. Adjust your routine as needed.

Also make sure you are monitoring engine batteries as most systems do not charge the engine batteries from the house batteries. You can add a second maintainer setup for the engine as needed.

Whatever you do it would be very wise to check your battery voltage at a regular interval as a way to avoid surprises. Chargers have been known to fault either higher or off. Either way is bad.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We keep ours plugged in. We also built a port to protect the roof from weather. Surge protector was first thing we purchased, had dealer install it before we picked it up, so we don't worry about lightning.

We keep front air on to maintain a steady temp and humidity, and have refrigerator on because residential refrigerators prefer running.

We check battery water level monthly (as previously noted, this is an important item!) and also run generator monthly under load for at least 2 hours.

If you think about it, if you were a full time RVer you would have it plugged in almost all the time except when you were traveling or dry camping...
Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=Patti Brown;3272397]We keep ours plugged in. We also built a port to protect the roof from weather. Surge protector was first thing we purchased, had dealer install it before we picked it up, so we don't worry about lightning.

QUOTE]

??? There is a thread where it was reported the lightning fried everything in spite of a surge protector. Surge protectors are not designed for that much voltage (up to 1 billion).