Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

Smile New to RV'in from Midway NC

My wife and I will soon be empty nesters and hoping to enjoy traveling the country by motorhome/trailer soon. We are both new to the RV life but the people we have met so far have been fantastic and helpful. Lorraine and I are looking into purchasing our 1st RV and are actually having a lot of fun researching all the all the different options that are available from trailers to motor coaches.

If anyone has any ideas where to begin, or what challenges on how they went on in determining what was best option for them, it would be appreciated. We hope to travel throughout the USA and Canada over the next few years just the 2 of us.

Hope to meet you all soon on the way to discover the USA.

Tom and Lorraine
Midway NC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well then, WELCOME --- best of luck in your search, it's big wide world out there.

Keep pinging us with ideas as you noodle down your options, and we can all help advise along the way.

How about this question? Do you wanna drive it or pull it? Why?

I have a second question. What kind of budget are thinking this should cost?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom and Lorraine,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of great information here. These people will be very helpful to you. We have not yet bought our MH but have narrowed it down. Let me give you the advice they gave me.

Go to RV shows. They are everywhere so look in your state to find them. Go walk around MHs, TTs, and 5th Wheels. See what you like and don't like. What you absolutely have to have and not too concerned about.

Go to a RV dealership. Ditch the salesman and sit in a unit for a while. Does it have enough room for you if it is raining outside and you have to spend a day or two inside. Can you set out projects or hobbies to keep you busy. Does it have enough storage for what you need or want to take with you.

Test drive a unit. Both a gas and a diesel MH or class C. Do you want new or used. There are some great used units out there. You will start to narrow it down as you continue to look. We have been looking for a class A since last summer and have come close but not found one yet.

I think if you plan to live in it full time or part of the year you will want to look at the class A. Other people will tell you a 5thwheel is right for them. It's about what works for the two of you. Find the floor plan that works and go from there.

Good luck with your search. Read old threads on tires, delamination, roofs, appliances, and any other thing you think you might need to learn about. Have fun.

Hope to see you out on the road some day. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all, I would rent an RV for a week and see if that's exactly what you want to do before you make a costly mistake. We did that before buying our first Class "C" . Then after realizing we wanted this lifestyle we bought one. You don't want to make a costly mistake if there's any questions. We have been rving for about 5 years now and one year fulltiming and just love it. We sold our stick and brick home and everything we didn't need to carry with us and have never looked back. What a wonderful life! It's amazing at the stuff you don't need!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad you joined.
We've had tent, pop-up, TT and now a class A. The class A is so convenient compared to the TT. When we make a rest stop we don't have to get out unless we want to. Plenty of room and a great view going down the road. It has all the comforts of home.
A good used class A gas will probably cost from $40,000 to $100,000. For diesel you can add about 25%. (rough figures) I prefer gas, but that's a wide open discussion. Look for well maintained and good quality in whatever you buy. New is an option, but not one that I would choose. (That's another wide open discussion too.)
Good luck and enjoy your search!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Well then, WELCOME --- best of luck in your search, it's big wide world out there.

Keep pinging us with ideas as you noodle down your options, and we can all help advise along the way.

How about this question? Do you wanna drive it or pull it? Why?

I have a second question. What kind of budget are thinking this should cost?
Not sure about pulling or drive. Right now no tow vehicle so would have to purchase both. I don't really need large tow vehicle right now as I have been able to use a Van and small trailer to haul equipment around. I guess we are leaning to class C or class A.

Budget is 125,000-150,000 range and would like to keep it on the low end of the range.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Tom and Lorraine,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of great information here. These people will be very helpful to you. We have not yet bought our MH but have narrowed it down. Let me give you the advice they gave me.

Go to RV shows. They are everywhere so look in your state to find them. Go walk around MHs, TTs, and 5th Wheels. See what you like and don't like. What you absolutely have to have and not too concerned about.

Go to a RV dealership. Ditch the salesman and sit in a unit for a while. Does it have enough room for you if it is raining outside and you have to spend a day or two inside. Can you set out projects or hobbies to keep you busy. Does it have enough storage for what you need or want to take with you.

Test drive a unit. Both a gas and a diesel MH or class C. Do you want new or used. There are some great used units out there. You will start to narrow it down as you continue to look. We have been looking for a class A since last summer and have come close but not found one yet.

I think if you plan to live in it full time or part of the year you will want to look at the class A. Other people will tell you a 5thwheel is right for them. It's about what works for the two of you. Find the floor plan that works and go from there.

Good luck with your search. Read old threads on tires, delamination, roofs, appliances, and any other thing you think you might need to learn about. Have fun.

Hope to see you out on the road some day. Lynne

We have been to a few local RV shows over the past year. I was wondering if making the trip to Hershey PA this fall would be worth it as it is supposed to be the largest in the country. I am originally up from that way and might stop by some family on the way there. If anyone has been to it, would it be worth the time and effort to go, or are their better ones to go to?

Since we are looking to full time, I was heavily leaning to Class A but Lorraine is intimidated by the size--having to drive something that long and wide. If the ladies out there can give any "advice" it would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tom & Lorraine! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Great advice from previous posters. My wife drove our class A last Thursday for the first time. Started off at 25mph then over the next 25 miles got it up to 55.
Round trip was about 55 miles. She did great. We were on a 4 lane road for the entire trip. Next up for her is driving on a 2 lane road. She is a very cautious driver and quickly got used to using the mirrors. We have friends of ours that have a class A diesel and the wife does about 50% of the driving. They have been all over the USA so she is very comfortable driving their rig. Encourage your wife to learn to drive your rig. The only thing to fear is fear itself.
Why wait for Hershey? Go on down to Lazy Days in Fl. and look at their coaches.
You don't have to buy from them but just look. Also, they offer a drivers course.

Good luck in your quest.

Safe travels,

Alex
Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

The Hershey, PA RV show is fantastic. You will spend at least two full days (maybe three depending on what you want to see) looking at every MH, TT, 5th wheel they have. It is a huge show. I went last year and was amazed at everything there. It is well worth it. I would suggest going as soon as they open because it does become very crowded and especially on the weekends. I went during the week and it was a little less crowded. If you plan to be around PA during this time it's well worth seeing.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

You will likely find floor plan dictates size & type of MH you choose ... keep in mind, storage will be a high priority as well ... especially when full timing ...
My wife has not taken over the wheel of our Bus yet ... but is anxious to do so ... we will find an empty parking lot and turn her loose ... I'm sure she'll do well as she a good driver ....
Good luck with your search, take your time and enjoy the adventure ... You can certainly find some really good Class A's out there that will fit in that budget ...

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Good luck with your search

denlock is offline   Reply With Quote