Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

Question New to RVing

Hi, my husband and I are in the market for an RV and have 2 5th month old twin girls and 2 stepchildren part time. I would like to know what advice you have for us in general regarding RV's. Some specific questions are, we saw that Winnebago is the safest, do you know this to be true? Is a 40ft RV hard to manage, what things do we need to think about with this size? I think we have settled on diesel. We plan to go to OH 2x's a year, Tampa for business 10 times a year and NC 3x's a year. I want it to closer to 30-35ft if possible while being comfortable sleeping 6. I also want used between 2010-2013 for depreciation reasons. Any words of wisdom?
Whitneyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitneyaa View Post
Hi, my husband and I are in the market for an RV and have 2 5th month old twin girls and 2 stepchildren part time. I would like to know what advice you have for us in general regarding RV's. Some specific questions are, we saw that Winnebago is the safest, do you know this to be true? Is a 40ft RV hard to manage, what things do we need to think about with this size? I think we have settled on diesel. We plan to go to OH 2x's a year, Tampa for business 10 times a year and NC 3x's a year. I want it to closer to 30-35ft if possible while being comfortable sleeping 6. I also want used between 2010-2013 for depreciation reasons. Any words of wisdom?

Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

There's no reason to believe Winnebago is any safer than another brand! Some folks just like to brag on what they bought!

Most folks agree that 40' MH's ride and handle better than shorter ones, but there's a lot of discussion on this! You just have to get used to the extra length if you haven't driven anything that long before.

Six folks are gonna get awfully "close" in a 30-35' MH!

You have made a good choice on the diesel as opposed to gas!

Don't be afraid to go with an older model DP. We love our 2002 Windsor!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

used 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse with front electric dropdown queen bunk
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

1st. WELCOME TO OUT FORUM
2nd. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to... It's always best to visit multiple RV dealers who have couches in the size that interest you. Most will let you drive them. There is no better way to evaluate your potential next purchase.
3rd. Talk to as many KNOWLEDGEABLE RVers as you can find. Read through as many RV forums as you find helpful. ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!
4th. Think ahead several years. RV's - of all types and brands - shrik after you've washed them for several years!!! (:O) As you use them - especially with a growing family - you will find that you always can use several extra feet in RV length and amenities.
5th. This is suppose to be fun!!!!!! Look at your search for your first RV as the Beginning Of The Adventure. And not a drudge to be avoided.

See ya on down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

40ft RVs

Hello, some of the options that I'm looking for in an RV happened to be 40 feet like the Itaska Meridian or the Winnebago journey. I am apprehensive to get such a large RV for my first one although I do not want to do a step up process I would I would like to get one that can fit all six of us comfortably so that kind of room is appealing to me. What kind of planning do you have to do with that large of an RV roads cul-de-sacs turning around parking etc.?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

Take your time and look at lots of coaches .... with 6 of you, 40' is probably where you want to be comfortably ....
Enjoy the search ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

40 feet intimidates me. Are we able to still go to most state parks will we have any trouble doing that? What's the biggest challenge with that big of an RV?
Old 05-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #9

There are very few places I can't go in my 40 footer.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You can travel just about any state highway route. State parks can be a problem but there seems to be a private park or two always near by. Driveability of a 40' should be better. Look look and look some more for the floor plan for you. Might also look for an RV with an Aguahot system with that many young kids for hot water and better heat if you plan on travel in colder weather. Also with washer dryer installed so you don't need to run to the laundromat.

LEN
Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #11

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

First, I can't imagine where you heard that Winnebago is the safest. 'Safe' depends on the driver and other drivers.

As far as fitting a 40' into state parks, it depends on what parks. Since you mentioned Florida or the east coast, I would suggest picking out a few parks that might interest you and see what their camp site sizes are. There are no two parks that are equal. For private RV parks you will have no problem.

We traveled mainly in the West and had absolutely no problem with public parks - except for California's state parks. However, there are always options and we found wonderful California national forest campgrounds that we did fit. You just have to do your homework.

As far as driving a 40' motorhome....they are very easy to handle. Both of us drove it, including in the mountains.

You mentioned cul-de-sacs....for that there would be many differences in size - some have very little turning space. Personally, we wouldn't get ourselves in a situation of cul-de-sacs.

I would get the RV that you would all be comfortable living. Bunks would be great for you. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #13

I have a 40 footer and they are a snap to drive even with a toad. BUT, you may want to look into a 5 th. wheel they have a lot of room. Good luck and safe travels.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving