Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

New to RV's and looking for travel trailer for Alaska!

I am in the military, about to head up to Fairbanks Alaska for my next assignment. My wife and I were looking to possibly purchase a travel trailer for adventures while we are stationed in AK. I would much appreciate this community's help and assistance when it comes to selecting the right make and model.

Based on my research so far (I am completely new to the world of RV'ing), this is what I think I need (in order of importance):

a.) Less than 5,000 lb dry. This is the towing capacity for '14 my nissan pathfinder. However, once in Alaska, we will have a Yukon XL which has a 8-10K capacity. In other words, we need it to be 5,000 lb for travel to AK but not necessarily for use while in AK. Now, having surveyed possible brands/models, I doubt that we will actually buy anything that encroaches on 5K dry, but it's still something to keep in mind.

b.) Something USED. I don't want to drop 20 grand on a trailer. I don't know the market, so my numbers are flexible, but my wife and I were looking to spend no more than $15,000.

c.) Well-insulated and ready for cold weather. I've researched some possible recommendations, like the Heartland Mallard M185, with a temperature rating of 0-100 degrees. That works great. It sounds like fiberglass is the way to go for good insulation, as well as a robust base that's possibly heated. Some other possible brands were Starcraft, and from other research: Bigfoot or Arctic. We won't be roaming around the Alaskan interior during winter, but it would be nice to be able to get some good camping when things are somewhat cold (i.e. not JUST June, July and August).

d.) This is not absolutely necessary but hopefully we can get something somewhat versatile. I know that truck/camper combos are probably the most versatile, and we don't have a truck, but it would be nice to not be limited to merely straight, paved roads (like a 5th wheel would be, I imagine).

e.) The trailer needs to accommodate 2 adult sleepers and 2 children. I have a 1.5 year old daughter, and am planning on having a second child sometime while in Alaska. So they obviously don't need full beds, perhaps just "space" to put the pack-n-play.

I don't know anything about storing or winterizing or really anything else regarding owning and maintaining a travel trailer.

With all that said, I am open and ready to receive feedback, suggestions, accusations or whatever. Thank you so much IrV2!!

Alex
flyboy047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

Starcraft 31FKS 2002

I had a 2002 Starcraft 31 FKS and did do a little cold weather camping (15deg F) with no problems.

With a full hookup I used the furnace to initially warm the camper quickly. Then I had two ceramic heaters (electric) that pretty much kept us comfortable. The Starcraft had small windows and was a smooth side fiberglass unit. While in storage a large branch fell on the roof and slid down the edge and cut the rubber roof. The next spring I found the entire left side behind the slide room had delaminated. This alone totaled the trailer. Had it been an aluminum sided trailer it could have been repaired. I really liked the Starcraft. It was a 100th anniversary edition and saw a lot of action in the central east coast. Some cold weather but nothing that you would see in Alaska. The water lines ran inside the cabin and as long as you were warm they were warm too. The tanks had heaters too.

After the Starcraft we had two Rockwood Travel Trailers. They are just not made as well as the Starcraft but..
One of Starcrafts claims to fame is the fact that they make the floor of the unit at the factory and it has no seams. It's a one piece floor. So in addition to the delamination on the side the bedroom floor had a large soft spot that would be difficult to repair. But it was totaled anyway. Hope this helps and do look for the Winter Camping details like the plumbing being in the heated cabin. Low point drains make for quick draining of the water system.

I bought another water pump just like the one in the camper. I mounted it on top of a square 5 gallon bucket. I put an on/off toggle switch and a cigarette lighter plug on a 25 foot wire. I put RV antifreeze (usually about 3 gallons) in the bucket. I hook up just like I was camping and it is the fresh water hose. I turn the bucket system on and go in the camper and run each fawcett until I get pink antifreeze. I also had bypassed the water heater before doing this and put the antifreeze in the hot water side too. If just winterized for a short period you can catch the pink stuff with your low point drains and store it.

Had pictures but I can't find them.

Sudsy
Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Was in Alaska for 2 months in our motorhome , it was great except for almost the whole State being under construction. I would recommend a truck 4x4 and camper as the most interesting parts are all off of paved roads. With a camper storage and winterizing are minimal. You'll love Fairbanks , the museum at the University , the hot springs nearby, the Dalton highway (not a place to pull a trailer up) but worth the drive.
Lineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #4

You're probably not near PPL consignment in Texas but here is their trailer listing to give you an idea of what's out there and how much. I don't know the weights on any of these so you'd have to investigate. I think what you're asking for and price you won't find a 'quality, well-insulated' trailer. They will, most likely be entry levels.

I really think a bunkhouse would be ideal for you. It's an absolute pain making up a bed every night for children and taking it down in the morning. By bed... I mean using the dinette or sofa. Also, children don't have your sleeping patterns.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...rtBy=price+asc

From this site here are some bunkhouse suggestions although they may be too big for you to tow:

2007 Dutchman 17' $7500
2013 Sportsmen w/slide 22' $11,000
2012 Keystone 24' $11,500
2011 Jayco 22' $12,500
2016 Forest River 15' $12.000
2016 Keystone 20' $12,000
2018 Gulf Stream 21' $12,500
2013 Forest River 23' $13,00

You won't have any problem selling a trailer when you're finished with it. They're in demand in Alaska and can be used for a hunting/fishing cabin.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Alex! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know anything about TT's but hope you find the perfect one for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Thank you for your service to our country!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Thank you all, this has been helpful.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy047 View Post
In other words, we need it to be 5,000 lb for travel to AK but not necessarily for use while in AK.

You need to look at the info label on your door ... your capacity may only be 1,000 ... which would include everything you put inside plus the hitch weight.

Cargo Weight? - Nissan Forum

You may need to look at something like a Casita. And sometimes the military rents Casitas to those in the service.

Cost wise it might be better to see what you can rent and not buy.

the XL may be 1,500 but you need to check the specific truck.

https://www.carmax.com/research/gmc/...features-specs
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #8

I'm looking at possibly buying a new Forest River Wildwood FSX 197BH.

I know this is entry level. Anyone have reviews on this model?
Old 04-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy047 View Post
I'm looking at possibly buying a new Forest River Wildwood FSX 197BH.

I know this is entry level. Anyone have reviews on this model?
There's a Forest River Owner's Site on this forum.... look on the top line of this page. You'll get a lot of help there.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs, trailer, travel, travel trailer