Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
new to site mold allergies

I am new to the site and my wife has been living with ovarian cancer for 8 years now and is very allergic to mold. We had to remove all carpet from our house. We have some land in south carolina we are trying to sell so we do not want to build on it but would like to enjoy it by parking an rv on it. There is water septic and electricity. Gets cold in Ohio and my brother is in Hilton head. Found the Evergreen site by looking at and researching the history of dutchman. Needless to say the promise of an rv that won't leak and has composite materials that are less prone to mold is highly appealing. So always glad to hear about leakage/ roof and mold issues and which models might be best. Also any advice on simple modern, less carpet and drapes material would be great to hear about. Currently looking at a 2011 everlite in South carolina. Thanks for any direction or advice ..norm

nhorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Sorry I can't answer your question but I do want to welcome you to iRV2. We are happy you joined us. Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. My advice is to browse the Owner's Corner Forums as a start and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group here who like to help when they can.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I wish you and your wife the best, good luck with your search.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Keeping the inside of the any RV is a challenge. The better the construction the less of a chance of a leak, in particular is the roof construction.

I had a Class C with a rubber roof, I paid strict attention to the maintenance and upkeep. Even with that we had a leak develop on the edge seam across the top bunk. This started when the coach was less then 5 years old. Got it fixed but still a problem.

I now own a Class A with a full fiberglass roof, so far no problems and it is ~+13 years old.

Also pay attention to any openings for vents, sky lights, and AC units. Any opening will require periodic maintenance to prevent leaks.

Windows are another avenue for water intrusion, both from leaks and condensation. Dual pane windows will be less susceptible to condensation and wind blown rain.

Good Luck in you search.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Hello and welcome. I don't know much about mold problems, we have never had anything in our two motorhomes, other than some mold in the Frige rubber door lining in our smaller RV.

But I have read articles about the larger ratio of moisture in motor homes due to smaller living areas and being built out of non breathing materials. It seems that living in very cold climates or extremely humid areas would present some problems. The main thing is having fresh air (difficult in either extremes), and figuring out how to maintain the RV a lot like a home. Probably with dehumidifiers and stopping it from the start with no leaks, and no conditions that will cause mold.

I would buy a new motorhome if possible to make sure you have no hidden disasters, also to know there hasn't been mold in the past. I really haven't heard of such problems other than older rv's.
Best of luck to you both, as a cancer survivor myself, please give my well wishes and a hug to your wife. (((())))
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
As you are learning, all RV's have rather poor construction and may develop leaks in a number of places. The best you can do is have your unit tested by using the pressure test. Do that even if the unit is new.

Is there a possibility that you could build a carport type structure and park under that roof? That would not only keep the water out, but greatly extend the life of the RV.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
I also live in South Carolina. There isn't anything to stop the mold for many reasons. But what I have found is working for me is cutting vent holes throughout the camper to allow for air flow. When you really look at a camper no matter the camper there are a lot of blocked off areas and with the way the weather is in South Carolina there isn't any preventing it. Along with the vents throughout I have gotten the damp rid containers and put them anywhere there is a chance of mold, under the dinette, under the bunk, in the bathroom etc. Hope this helps. It has helped me! :-D
*Diesel Girl*
*Yellow Lab -Ace *Two crazy cats- Kamie and Midnight*
*2004 Fleetwood Prowler*
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Clean with bleach solution, then use 1/4 cup bleach and 1/4 cup borax spray it on let it dry. Mold has to have moisture to grow, and when it gets damp the borax makes boric acid which kills the mold. Pretty safe (eyedrops contain boric acid). This process was successfully used post-katrina.
RandyMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Dry is the word here. Ceramic and oil filled heaters combined with existing high humidity levels multiply the chances of mold. After chasing the mold thingy I now have a 4" pvc tube at the head of the mattress and run a dehumidifier anytime the windows need to be closed or temps get below 50.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp sd-65E.bmp (64.7 KB, 22 views)
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
Their are Ozone Machines on the market for removing mold that are far safer than bleach and acids.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote