Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #1

New to US need some advice on tags

Hi All
We are buying a used RV private seller, I know we need to get a pink slip and a receipt from the seller.
We are buying in LA and have no idea what else we need to get tags, we want to register the RV in MO where we will be based.

I looked over the DMV websites and just ended up more confused.
Everyone talks about temp tags, but I cant work out how to get them or how this works.

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Rusty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am not familiar with LA but when we bought ours used in NY we went to the DMV in NY to get a drive-out tag. It was a 30 day tag that let us drive it back to GA. We had to provide proof of insurance good for 30 days to be able to get it.

Call the local DMV in LA to ask what they recommend.

You will need insurance regardless of what their procedure is. You will also need a Bill of Sale signed by all names on the seller's title.

Paul

pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought mine in Virginia. Spoke with there DMV and they did not give out Temp tags. They said as long as you have Bill of sale, and proof of insurance you would be good. Check with your state and see if they give out temp tags.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call MO dmv and ask what their requirements are for registration for out of state purchase of a RV. To get it out of CA, all you need is proof of insurance, bill of sale and the pink slip or a certified copy. And a drivers license in case you are stopped for any reason.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #5

We(Texans) sold our 98 DSDP to someone from MO. We all went to the local TX Tax assessor/collector office where the buyer got a temp 30 day tag.

Proof of insurance was required, Bill Of Sale, and sellers current registration.

As I recall, in MO a yearly property tax is due on MHs.
Not in TX.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

Definitely contact the MO DMV and find out EXACTLY what they'll need. When I brought my motorhome from New York to Kentucky earlier this year, the Kentucky DMV provided me with all the paperwork needed and I took it to New York with me. Also, find out how MO is going to tax the purchase. I know nothing about MO but Kentucky will base your usage taxes on what you paid or the NADA. However, if what you paid is under NADA, they require a certified letter from the dealer stating the price you paid. I found that out when I got back to Kentucky and couldn't register the unit until they had the certified letter in hand. Now, don't ask me the difference between a certified letter and a bill of sale
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #7

What ever you do DO NOT GO INTO California DMV. They will want to collect California Sales Tax (use tax) if you take possession in the state, even if you purchased the MH from a private seller. The only safe way to not have California Sales Tax due is to have the seller drive and deliver the MH out of state. Make sure you have out of state delivery forms signed and notarized. ( download for web site) The California law is very clear, Sales Tax is based on where possession is taken. Don't think California will not chase you down, it's not a happy moment when 2-3 years down the road you get a tax bill from California.

California Use Tax Information - State Board of Equalization
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

Honkytonkinn, based on your thread title I wonder if you are a legal resident or just a visitor. If a legal resident, then follow everyone's advice for the most part. If a visitor, you may find it difficult to register a MH without first establishing legal residence in the state of choice.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Here's another Kentucky episode. I bought a Safari Trek from a friend who had it registered in South Carolina. When I called the Lexington / Fayette county license bureau, she told me I needed a state Fire Marshall's inspection and sticker. My local RV dealer was happy to quote $150 to do this, but a call to the Fire Marshall's office brought an inspector to my driveway where he completed the inspection for $45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Definitely contact the MO DMV and find out EXACTLY what they'll need. When I brought my motorhome from New York to Kentucky earlier this year, the Kentucky DMV provided me with all the paperwork needed and I took it to New York with me. Also, find out how MO is going to tax the purchase. I know nothing about MO but Kentucky will base your usage taxes on what you paid or the NADA. However, if what you paid is under NADA, they require a certified letter from the dealer stating the price you paid. I found that out when I got back to Kentucky and couldn't register the unit until they had the certified letter in hand. Now, don't ask me the difference between a certified letter and a bill of sale

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags