Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #1

New Towing Laws

There was an article in USA Today covering the new tougher towing laws that took effect in Virginia last week and how several other states may be considering the same.

The article mentions:

"States are beginning to address a highway safety issue that previously had little visibility: motorists killed in accidents involving passenger vehicles towing trailers.
An average of more than one person a day dies in such crashes, according to federal data."

"From 1975 through 2008, 15,211 people were killed in crashes involving passenger vehicles towing trailers, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

See link below:

State laws target safety of towed trailers - USATODAY.com

Regards,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I see countless boat and utility trailers without the safety chains in use.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safety chains, Hitch weights and an old joke:

Optimist: Yugo with a trailer hitch

All, apply.. I see many trailers with tow vehicles that aver very clearly in the TOO SMALL class.

And then there is the ongoing debate "Do I need an aux braking system on my towed"

The answer. folks, is YES. you do,

There are many ways for a car towing a trailer to mess up.. But the most common one is a 3 ton trailer behind a car with 3,000 pounds towing capacity or ..

Well, you can play with those two numbers but the idea is the first is way bigger than the second.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"A Virginia law that took effect last week requires that any vehicle towing another vehicle or trailer have a trailer hitch or similar device strong enough for the weight of the vehicle or trailer being towed."

common sense

i remeber seeing a VEGA towing a huge deep vee powerboat many moons agao
bumper was twisted like a pretzel.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've seen more stupid mistakes by people towing boat trailers, evidently in too much of a hurry to get to the lake. The best was on the 215 radial in Las Vegas a couple years ago. I came across a new Dodge pickup that had been towing his new speed boat. He evidently didn't attach the tie downs to the transom and when he hit a rise in the highway the boat took off and landed on top of the concrete median barrier where it sat perched for our bemusement. Luckely for him it didn't get over the barrier into oncoming trafic.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

So this is the wrong vehicle to tow a 5'er with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towing-too-much.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	4615   Click image for larger version

Name:	2x4-fail.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	4616  

Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #7

That pic is too funny. Amazing what some people will do.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #8

The phrase "trailers" covers an awfully diverse group. I have seen more dangerous "small" cargo trailer situations than I have RV trailers.

Although I will never forget the huge Fiver that was behind me one time on Hwy 76 in N. GA outside of Blairsville,(I changed lanes... I had been watching them drive thru the little town, I knew what was going to happen and I didn't want to be in the way). The Fiver was huge, the truck.... was not. Anyone could see the truck was way too small to be pulling anything of that size. Outside of Blairsville (heading west) a little ways from town is a traffic light. I don't know where the sensor is but I always was stopped by the light. I slowed down, stopped and told my daughter who was riding with me... "This is why you don't pull a trailer with a truck that isn't capable of stopping it. You can't pull a trailer with any truck that will move it down the road. Now watch and learn..." The truck hit its brakes and the trailer pushed it thru the traffic light, I mean all the way thru. The fiver was well over 30 ft... probably closer to 40 ft.. I could have parked 3 of my Jeep Grand Cherokees (with room between each) in the space behind the Fiver left between the end of the fiver and the far edge of the intersection where it finally stopped. It was a good thing that there was no one crossing the intersection because the timing was right... that truck would have taken out any vehicle right at the passenger compartment. When I passed them again... the folks inside looked awfully freaked.

I believe that instead of putting so much emphasis on "pulling power", they need to concentrate a bit more on "stopping capabilities" when discussing what a truck can tow.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I've seen more stupid mistakes by people towing boat trailers, evidently in too much of a hurry to get to the lake. The best was on the 215 radial in Las Vegas a couple years ago. I came across a new Dodge pickup that had been towing his new speed boat. He evidently didn't attach the tie downs to the transom and when he hit a rise in the highway the boat took off and landed on top of the concrete median barrier where it sat perched for our bemusement. Luckely for him it didn't get over the barrier into oncoming trafic.
The Navel Safety Center had this one on there site.
http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Pages/photo/photo379.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo379.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	4618  
RayandPamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many thanks for the great replies. Some good stories too. However, I did not see the jest of the new law in VA. Was it merely addressing safety chains and weight capacity of the hitch. Or was there something more I missed?

Dave
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #11

I read the article here today about towing fatalities. It has to start with the dealers-their salesmen MUST become educated about towing. They are ones that tell people they don't need tow chains, break away cables, no sway bars-you just need a ball, no electric brakes-etc. Or the best are the ones that tell the guy with that little SUV-sure you can tow the 10,000lbs easy. It's scary out there because Joe Q Public who are just starting out, will believe them. Forget the buck-I'd be more afraid that a lawyer who was wise would go after them if it could be proved a saleman misled the customer.

I also think the states need to have the same rules involving towing-one says if your a contractor and it weighs 3000lbs, you need safety chains. If your a private citizen with the same trailer-you don't. Too many needless accidents occur so because people don't learn about what they are getting into with towing. They know nothing about their vehicle's capacities, nothing about hitches, brakes, etc. We do need better education as a whole before we tow anything behind our vehicles.

If I'd not asked as many questions from everyone here back in 2000, I'd have been one of those who got duped by a salesmen. He tried to convince me that my 1/2 ton conversion van with a 5.7 liter could pull a 34ft camper and just with a ball hitch. I learned a LOT from the experiences people here at the time-and am forever grateful that I didn't end up a statistic because the salesman said "I could".

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #12

Nell,

An honest salesman once told me that I was not allowed to talk to the customers because I delt in facts and would end up telling the truth so leave it to him to deal with the customers as he being the sales manager was in charge of the lies. So salesman and honesty many times will seem like an oxymoron.

It is because of the extreme greed so prevalent today that so many salesmen dupe people into unsafe practices just so they can quickly close the deal and make a quick buck.

The minimum DOT standards have existed for years and most states already have laws covering towing however sad to say that those existing regs are greatly ignored by so many people. Without a more consistant and comprehensive system of enforcement the new towing laws may end up having little effect even though they may sound like a giant leap in protecting us from these types of accidents.

Here in Florida the Govonor signed a law that requires all employers to make health insurance available to a employees dependent children to age 35. This sounded great until you discover it was only applied if your employer had a fully insured health plan by an In-State provider. It turns out that only around 10% or fewer of the company health plans in Florida are fully insured health plans by In-State providers.

The new towing laws may only impact those who are honest and would not even give a second thought to taking risks of this nature or those who have been in an accident involving an unsafe hitch setup and don't want a second or third offense on their record or don't want to face being sued again.

Time will tell in the meantime let's all to the best of our ability play it safe.

Regards,
Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #13

NeilV, regrettably you are right. Those with little regard for the law will continue to ignore it.
Add to the list requiring safety chains, gooseneck adapters, and gooseneck trailers-in Indiana anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
yeah, Ray&Pam, now that brought back some "fear", 25 years ago in NJ on I-80, some one sure didn't secure the boat to the trailer and what a back up on a hot/ humid day that was,