Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

New trailer, have a few questions on small fixes

I just purchased a '17 Nash 25c and am really enjoying it (Northwood | Nash 25C).

Have a couple questions about how to best fix a couple really small items the right way. Imgur Pics for reference: Imgur:

The first one is a little bit of wallpaper (I think) at a seam, right above the sink. Not sure the best approach to get some adhesive under it and get it pressed back down.

The second one is what appears to be a pretty common issue where the roof gutter rails have a slight gap which in turn is dripping water down the side of the rv. Sounds like I'll need some kind of silicone adhesive to seal the gap, any recommendations what to use?

The third question is regarding the batteries....the trailer has two 12v Interstate Green Top SRM-24 batteries. I'll be boon docking for the first time in a couple weeks and want to understand when I should fire up the generator to fill these up. As I understand you don't want to completely drain them (ideally don't let drop under 50%??) to avoid damaging or shortening the life of the batteries. I have Zamp Solar Controller that gives me a voltage output. Is the following correct regarding reading the capacity:

100% 12.7 (or higher if charging)
75% 12.4
50% 12.2

So essentially the lowest I'd want to let it get is 12.2 but ideally somewhere between 12.4 and .2 start thinking about running the generator to top them back off?

Appreciate any input!
blowjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Those are resting voltages. 12.2 is safe, especially if under load, because if you remove the load on the battery its voltage will rebound some, maybe quite a bit if the load was significant.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Those are resting voltages. 12.2 is safe, especially if under load, because if you remove the load on the battery its voltage will rebound some, maybe quite a bit if the load was significant.
Hmm...well how do I know when I need to start getting it charged?
Old 04-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
A fully charged battery will read 12.6...but when charging your meter might read 13.6 volts as it's charging when plugged into shore power. I kind of use 12.0 volts as a good low end where I need to think about charging it back up. My trip to Alaska last summer I used just a 100 watt portable solar panel to keep the one battery charged up when off grid. 3 days in one spot was as long as I was off grid at one time.

Just a note: When charging your battery with solar, you will notice as your battery gets closer to a full charge, your solar panels charge controller will raise the volts (as high as 21 volts) at the same time the watts will go down. It's harder to get the batteries last 10% of it's full charge. So it has to "push" more volts into the charge process to get that last 10%.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

Great thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
A fully charged battery will read 12.6...but when charging your meter might read 13.6 volts as it's charging when plugged into shore power. I kind of use 12.0 volts as a good low end where I need to think about charging it back up. My trip to Alaska last summer I used just a 100 watt portable solar panel to keep the one battery charged up when off grid. 3 days in one spot was as long as I was off grid at one time.

Just a note: When charging your battery with solar, you will notice as your battery gets closer to a full charge, your solar panels charge controller will raise the volts (as high as 21 volts) at the same time the watts will go down. It's harder to get the batteries last 10% of it's full charge. So it has to "push" more volts into the charge process to get that last 10%.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

On the wallpaper, a syringe works nice.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
So far so good...thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

Joe, if you have a 4 stage converter/charger, you will need to let the batteries drop to 12.3-12.4 vdc before charging with the generator. The converter charger goes into 'bulk' charge mode at these voltages and will charge the batteries much faster than when the pre-charge voltage is 12.5 or higher. Tech from Progressive Dynamics schooled me on this one.

Mighty Mini Compact AC/DC Power Distribution Panel
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #10

Elmer's white glue will fix the wallpaper.. Water clean up before dry.... 100% Clear Silicone to close the gap on the drip....
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

I wouldn't worry about damaging the batteries by running them down. They are deep cycle and made for it. What you don't want to do is leave them discharged for extended periods of time. That is where the damage to the cells occurs.

I tournament bass fish and will run my trolling batteries near dead all the time. I just make sure to charge them as soon as I get home. I can get 3-4 years out of a set this way. That's with heavy, multi-day uses, every weekend for 9-10 months every year.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
12.10 to 12.06 is considered 50% charge according to published charts. Anything lower shortens the life.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS1MO View Post
Elmer's white glue will fix the wallpaper.. Water clean up before dry.... 100% Clear Silicone to close the gap on the drip....
Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Tags
trailer