Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #15

Is your refrigerator gas only or is it a gas/electric model. If it's a gas/electric model it can be set automatically use the 120 volt electrical side when plugged into shore power or generator power.

If it's a gas only model consult our local gas company. They often rejet furnaces, stoves and water heaters to run at higher altitudes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
YC1

Welcome to the forum. After 30 years with RV's and camping at 5000 foot elevations I never encountered any issues. The generators had adjustments for high altitudes.

Doing some research it seems you are spot on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dome...60288853434322

I full time and carry one of these. It works absolutely fantastic. It can freeze stuff easily or keep precise temperatures anywhere you want. It runs on 12 volts, 24 volts, or 110. It uses very little energy.

It is not cheap and you probably don't want to spring for more toys right now but this thing is fantastic. It cools quickly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #17

We camp in the Sierras all the time, and most places are over 7000 feet elevation. Our Norcold fridge has worked just fine on both propane and electric.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #18

I used our newer Norcold fridge up to 10,000 feet and had no problems. Was only a year old. This was a replacement I installed in our 1988 Itasca but I did rebuild the fridge enclosure to the specifications in the installation manual.
Did have problems when we picked it up in Indiana (old one failed in Michigan) as it did not want to light on propane. Found the igniter had a heavy coating of black paint on it as did the retaining screw. This caused a very poor ground and it would not spark most of the time. I did not want to remove the paint so installed a plated screw with a ground wire on it and ran it back to the fridge circuit board ground post.
This cured the ignition problems and the temperature control also was more consistent.
There was high voltage feedback into the circuit board that showed up on my DVOM so this is one way to find it. Almost as fast to install a new ground wire and see what happens.
Also check that the igniter tip is in the portion of the burner tube where the gas comes out. Mine was below this and it took some time for the gas to build up and light. after bending the tip it lite first spark.
If your burner tube has an adjustable sleeve for air on it this might also need adjustment when at altitude.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:41 AM   #19

Like everyone else said 5000k and above can have issues with burning LP.
My honda generator is coverted to propane and i have different jets for above 5k operation. Have not gone above 5k yet but will be in NM at 8k this summer and will have to see how the fridge goes on LP. It will be on full hook ups but will be traveling on LP. I also have a norcold. Its a model # N61X. What model is yours?

Also check out this thread post #21 looks like they found a solution.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/propa...-252958-2.html
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:51 AM   #20

I lived with this "feature" of non-altitude-compensated propane refrigerators for many years in my VW campers. One simple solution is to adjust the propane pressure regulator at the camping altitude. If you can access the regulator, it takes less than 5 minutes to adjust.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
A question not asked about the trailer is NOT the dealers fault!
Unfortunately even when a question is asked...MOST dealers will lie to your face.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #22

I see this is the OP's first and so far only post. Maybe from some of the replies he has been intimidated. To his defense he did state that he told the dealer he "camps in the mountains".
If he had been around the forums before he purchased his RV he'd know better than to believe a salesman.

Personally I believe he has a legitimate gripe. He presumably believed the salesman would guide him to the proper RV or tell him the shortcomings of camping at high altitudes.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #23

I still think the problem is with newer vintage refers. Folks with older units stating they work fine do nothing to help the OP address his issue with a newer refer. I believe the manufacturers, due to all the refer fire problems and law suits, have begun erring on the side of caution and adjusting burner functions to minimize fire issues. Hence, the burners are more prone to going out unexpectedly and this is accentuated when used at higher altitudes.

I hope the OP hasn't been run off by some of the comments critical of his failure to ask a specific question that nobody would ever think to ask in the first place. I've bought many RV's and have never asked a dealer if the refer would work above x feet and doubt very many folks on this forum have either.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #24

While it's true a salesman will sometimes say anything to make a sale, i'm not sure this was the case here. Would think it's more of the salesman not actually knowing, but thinking to himself, why wouldn't a refrigerator work up in the mountains. I doubt very many salesmen/dealers think about it or realize there is a difference.

I would think that, just like gasoline engines, fuel delivery, pressure in this case, needs to be lowered to work in the thinner atmosphere.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken08 View Post
Dealer screwed me? New trailer's fridge won't work at altitude!

Bought a new 2018 KZ 180tht. Told the dealer we dry camp in the mountains. Got the off-road package as well.
Just did our first trip, around 9000 feet, and the fridge kept failing on propane. Now I read the owners manual and it says the propane fridge won't work well or at all above 5500 feet!! I live at 7200 feet!!
It's a norcold fridge and my search has told me there is no solution.
What do I do? Our fridge doesn't work where I camp.
I bought this two weeks ago.

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Hope you can get your problem solved! Maybe you can just keep it on AC power when at home.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I too am shocked at the piling on here!
IRV2 has been great for me, even with the 'rookie-st' of questions...
and I can certainly relate with the OP frustration with new rv issues...
my last 5'er was a disaster from day 1 (well day 31, because the dealer had to keep it for the first 31 days it was so bad !)

Re the OP's issues:
We weren't there, we don't know what was said, and we may be all more experienced to know that salesmen will say anything...

so let's lighten up on the new member and offer help if we can.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I fail to see where the dealer screwed you.
jt

How on earth can someone be expected to know a refer isn't going to work over 5500 specifically? They didn't mention it when I picked it up and got my trailer education.

Well, I clearly explained my needs would be boondocking at altitude, sometimes in the winter. The salesman said this will work. It doesn't. So.... FWIW, the dealership is at 5300 feet. So the fact that it doesn't technically work above 5500 feet, is kind of a big deal, especially in a state where ~3/4 of camping is done above 5500. A 300 foot margin of error in altitude is pretty poor without a solution or even a mention. And if the salesman didn't know, then that's almost as bad as just not telling me. He is supposed to be the expert, not me.

I'm going in for an adjustment. And yes I called Norcold. They don't support any adjustments but state they know some have adjusted the gas pressure with good results. They do not make or offer any kits or official tips.

So far they are offering to look at it, but if they don't find a solution, I will have to make one. Will update.
Broken08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken08 View Post
How on earth can someone be expected to know a refer isn't going to work over 5500 specifically? They didn't mention it when I picked it up and got my trailer education.

Well, I clearly explained my needs would be boondocking at altitude, sometimes in the winter. The salesman said this will work. It doesn't. So.... FWIW, the dealership is at 5300 feet. So the fact that it doesn't technically work above 5500 feet, is kind of a big deal, especially in a state where ~3/4 of camping is done above 5500. A 300 foot margin of error in altitude is pretty poor without a solution or even a mention. And if the salesman didn't know, then that's almost as bad as just not telling me. He is supposed to be the expert, not me.

I'm going in for an adjustment. And yes I called Norcold. They don't support any adjustments but state they know some have adjusted the gas pressure with good results. They do not make or offer any kits or official tips.

So far they are offering to look at it, but if they don't find a solution, I will have to make one. Will update.
I'm sorry this happened to you, and I agree that you can not possibly know everything. You felt like you did you due diligence by mentioning your need for camping at elevation. I agree with you that the dealer, especially in your area, should most likely be aware of technical issues at altitude, but you are making a big assumption about a salesman being an expect. I wish they were. Most of the time we know way more than the salesmen do.

FWIW, we camp at altitude in the Sierra's and our old Norcold did work, so I would hazard a guess that an adjustment will get it working for you. I would inspect it regularly though after they do this.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, trailer