Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #15

I wouldn't do a thing to it.
I'd take it back to the dealer, have them fill everything, and do a walk through with me, showing me EXACTLY how every system works. Making sure the water heater works in all modes, refer, a/c's, etc. Then have them winterize it before I take it home.

My first motor home (1997 Jayco class C) had a sticker on the kitchen cabinet that read "this unit has been winterized". I asked the salesman if I needed to do anything to it. He told me, if the sticker says it's been winterized, don't worry about it. 3 months later, I was getting it ready for a trip, a month down the road. Guess what? Water heater was split. I called the salesman, he said "bring it in, that's on us". 2 days later I went & picked it up. THAT'S SERVICE.

This was at Lee's RV, in Midwest City, OK. Lee passed away a few years ago.

Sorry for the thread jack, but, I feel like all we hear, is about bad service.
So.....delete it if you like.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #16

I agree, take it back to the dealer asap. I hope you got a really good deal.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Document and get everything in writing.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #18

You're all right. I just sent the dealer a message asking when I could drop it off. I would rather have the entire thing checked over before camping season hits so I know everything is in working order. I was going to bring it into work tonight to look under it but something came up. I will do that tomorrow night and thoroughly check over the entire unit, so I can give them a "to do" list. Thank you again everyone for your advice
Old 02-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #19

I really hope my experience mirrors yours! I'm not happy at the fact that this dealer is and hour and a half away from me, and according to Gulf Stream, they are the closest. But at the same time, I'm glad I didn't buy one out of state! We will see how everything goes. I'm really hoping that they treat me right. This is my first brand new unit. My dad told me to expect issues with any new unit, but I wasn't expecting something like this. I'm new to rv's and even I know how important it is to winterize!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Pressurizing the system with air and spraying soapy water on the line joints and other suspect areas will find the leaks. I had a foot long crack in the HWH tank in my RV when I bought it. Unfortunately, the idiot that had owned it first tried to fix it with JB Weld slathered on with a putty knife and then later with rubber silicon cement. Even though I tried to get all the JB Weld and rubber out of the crack before I had it welded shut, there was enough residual to burn and cause bubbles in the weld. After having it re-welded twice and still having a virtually invisible tiny pin-hole leak I hooked my compressor up to it, filled it to with compressed air to about 75psi and then sprayed it with soapy water and found the one tiny leak. This time I drilled out the leak, taped it and then installed a small stainless steel bolt slathered with JB Weld and that finally fixed it. At least it’s going on three years with no leaks (knock on wood).

BTW, why not just replace the HWH? Because I’m frugal! Aside from the crack the HWH was in excellent condition and fixing it only cost me about $30 and some time, which I have lots of.

Steve
Steve
What is a HWH tank??
Do you mean WH, (water heater), tank?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #21

I think he's meaning "hot water heater"
Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmolleck View Post
Why does hot water need to be heated?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HWH is a brand of leveling jacks. Obviously he is referring to the hydraulic tank for it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Mmolleck
Thanks
I should have guessed that, (and I would have)... however my water heater only heats COLD water... (and makes it HOT).
Mel
'96 Safari, (Suberban SW10W WH)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Don't forget your P-traps!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #26

Hahaha this just goes to show how much of a rookie I am! I have just the standard crank down scissor jacks, nothing fancy. This is an entry model toyhauler so there isn't a lot of perks to it. I did pull it into work last night. Didn't really find much else wrong with it. I checked over everything and just found small odds and ends...a decal bubbling, a latch not working..nothing too important but I wrote it all down so they had a to-do list. All of the electrical outlets work, awning works, fans, stereo etc. I told them I'm going to take it back to them Friday after work and put the keys in the drop box. From looking at it last night, I think I have a good trailer, it was just dealership stupidity that caused the problems
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #27

Well here's the update....got a call earlier this afternoon, that the trailer is fixed and ready to be picked up. This was the service manager that spoke with me over the phone. I went over the list with him over the phone and he told me one by one that everything was fixed. He said they replaced the water pump, and pressure tested the entire system twice and found nothing else wrong. He said usually the water pump is the weakest link and said he's confident that all is good. I asked him if it was winterized and he said "yes sir" So I went down there after work (hour and a half each way). Turned on the water pump and fuse blew instantly. I'm just going to fix this thing myself. Hard telling why the fuse blew and it's really too cold out to mess with it. So next week, it's suppose to be in the 40's...ill access the pump then replace the fuse and see what happens. My dad is a very avid rv'er...he's advised me to just work through the factory no have them send me whatever parts needed. I'm very mechanically inclined so fixing whatever needs fixed shouldn't be a problem. Should I have to fix it? Absolutely not. But like the saying goes...if you want something done right, do it yourself. All I know is, I will never do business with this place ever again
Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #28

Quote:
They are sending me a new water pump so I can at least winterize it. I'll be making an appointment to take it back down and have them go through everything
Winterizing it offers you a chance to pressure test the water lines. You use the water heater bypass valves to run RV antifreeze through the water lines without having to fill the water heater, which is wasted RV antifreeze. The drain traps are filled with RV antifreeze when you run it out of each faucet to insure you have the lines filled and all water pushed out. If a drain trap is cracked, it's easy to replace.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer, winter