Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

New travel trailer not winterized

This past weekend, I picked up a new 2015 Gulf Stream track & trail toyhauler. This was left over stock from last year and was still being sold as a new unit. I got it home and checked to make sure it was winterized. Not only was it not winterized, but I found the fresh water tank to be about 1/4 way full, and the hot water heater to also be full. Then to make matters worse, when I turned on the water pump, I heard running water. I checked all the faucets and they were off. I removed the access panel under the fridge to find a crack in the water pump. Dealer says they will fix any issues I have, but my question is...how do I go about checking the water lines, holding tanks etc for further damage without a functional water pump? Has any body ran into this issue before? I'm hoping the dealer will send me a water pump instead of having to drive an hour and a half to them. Manufacture date on this unit is 6/14 so it's had a couple of winters to go through. I'm worried now that it might be sitting at the dealer getting re-plumbed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd take it back to the dealer. If it sat with water in the system through this much of the Illinois winter, I'd be suspicious of other issues. Rather than you having to deal with them, let the dealer handle it. Unless you're planning to camp in February or March, get it repaired by them. Agree on a pick up date to give time for repairs. Before leaving the lot, I'd do a complete inspection. Freezing could have also effected the toilet flush valve, the water heater, and other areas of the RV. Have it checked out. You'll have to decide if you want it returned winterized or fully functional so you can test it out before leaving the lot.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

First time I've heard of a new owner not trying out all systems before taking delivery. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
First time I've heard of a new owner not trying out all systems before taking delivery. Good luck.

Thanks, this is my first new purchase. We all have to learn somehow
Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #5

They are sending me a new water pump so I can at least winterize it. I'll be making an appointment to take it back down and have them go through everything
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmolleck View Post
This past weekend, I picked up a new 2015 Gulf Stream track & trail toyhauler. This was left over stock from last year and was still being sold as a new unit. I got it home and checked to make sure it was winterized. Not only was it not winterized, but I found the fresh water tank to be about 1/4 way full, and the hot water heater to also be full. Then to make matters worse, when I turned on the water pump, I heard running water. I checked all the faucets and they were off. I removed the access panel under the fridge to find a crack in the water pump. Dealer says they will fix any issues I have, but my question is...how do I go about checking the water lines, holding tanks etc for further damage without a functional water pump? Has any body ran into this issue before? I'm hoping the dealer will send me a water pump instead of having to drive an hour and a half to them. Manufacture date on this unit is 6/14 so it's had a couple of winters to go through. I'm worried now that it might be sitting at the dealer getting re-plumbed
Mmolleck
Since there is water in the tank and water heater it is apparent you bought a USED 2015 Gulf Stream track & trail toyhauler.... (NOT a "NEW toyhauler left over from last year"".
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

I don't believe it's used. I opened the gray and black water tanks at lunch and very little water came out...not septic water, just water. They told when when I picked it up that they had it sold at one point and taught the guy how everything worked, but backed out at the last minute. So I'm thinking they put water in it to charge the system and demonstrate the operation, but failed to winterize it when it wasn't actually sold. So far the dealer has been cooperative. I'm pulling it into the shop tonight here at work so I can roll around under it to see if I see any damage to the tanks, water lines etc. I won't really know the extent of damage until I get the replacement pump. My dad also told me about an air pressure fitting for the water connection. So I'm going to turn down my regulator to around 20 psi and see if I can hear any air leaks. This is also how I'm going to winterize it since I can't pump through the system. Just going to try to get as much water out as possible, then pour a little RV antifreeze in the drains
Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a city water connection, you can pressurize it there with the air fitting that screws on the hose threads. You don't want to pressurize the water tank, the large surface will multiply the pressure to the point it could rupture. You could wait until the water pump is replaced, then pressurize the system to check for leaks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you have a city water connection, you can pressurize it there with the air fitting that screws on the hose threads. You don't want to pressurize the water tank, the large surface will multiply the pressure to the point it could rupture. You could wait until the water pump is replaced, then pressurize the system to check for leaks.
Okay thanks for the info. I bought a pressure fitting at Walmart today so planning on using that in the city connection. Just trying to blow water out of the lines to avoid further damage. Definitely not going to try to do anything with the waste tanks. Just going to look them over for any cracks. Dealer can mess with anything else, but when I pick it back up I'm going to run through the entire system....see I'm learning little by little 😀
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

Pressurizing the system with air and spraying soapy water on the line joints and other suspect areas will find the leaks. I had a foot long crack in the HWH tank in my RV when I bought it. Unfortunately, the idiot that had owned it first tried to fix it with JB Weld slathered on with a putty knife and then later with rubber silicon cement. Even though I tried to get all the JB Weld and rubber out of the crack before I had it welded shut, there was enough residual to burn and cause bubbles in the weld. After having it re-welded twice and still having a virtually invisible tiny pin-hole leak I hooked my compressor up to it, filled it to with compressed air to about 75psi and then sprayed it with soapy water and found the one tiny leak. This time I drilled out the leak, taped it and then installed a small stainless steel bolt slathered with JB Weld and that finally fixed it. At least its going on three years with no leaks (knock on wood).

BTW, why not just replace the HWH? Because Im frugal! Aside from the crack the HWH was in excellent condition and fixing it only cost me about $30 and some time, which I have lots of.

Steve
Old 02-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

i would take it back ASAP, let the deal with it, also there is a large checklist

somewhere on this forum, its what i used when i picked mine, thanks to the

forum member who posted it.

Jim
Old 02-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info guys. Tonight when I get home I'm going to serve this gory some more for the thread "spray man" is talking about. My biggest priority now is to just get the water out of the system before we get another freeze Wednesday. I took a picture of the water pump with water around it last night and took a screen shot of the weather channel app to prove the weather was warm and it wasn't my doing. Just trying to document as much as possible so the dealer can't spin the table and blame it on me
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
i would take it back ASAP, let the deal with it, also there is a large checklist

somewhere on this forum, its what i used when i picked mine, thanks to the

forum member who posted it.

Jim
I totally agree! If they indeed pressurized it and let it sit the entire winter last year and up to now this year, you can be rest assured there are broken pipes who knows what else. I would take it to them now and let them deal with it.
All the best!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I would take it back and let the dealer install the new pump, pressurize the system and make sure all is well. Especially as you are taking it back anyway.

Tags
travel, travel trailer, winter