Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

New TT first time out electric prob

This is a new 2015 Winnebago 2351DKS.. Through last evening until
I made the first pot of coffee this morning all seemed good. After the first pot all electric outlet except the GFI are dead. I'm guessing maybe a bad GFI outlet? I did check all breakers and appear to be OK which I would expect since there is power to the GFI. Any thing else to check or try before scheduling a trip to the dealer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I know it sounds dumb but did you try resetting the GFI ?

LEN

Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

You state all but gfi dead?

That is backwards from usual.

How many breakers?

On generator, inverter or shore?

If generator verify both breakers good.

AC work?

Could be ac to gfi then on to others from that point as junction box.

If you have voltmeter lift out gfi with shore unplugged and then inspect and measure.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmohio View Post
I made the first pot of coffee this morning all seemed good. After the first pot all electric outlet except the GFI are dead. I'm guessing maybe a bad GFI outlet? I did check all breakers and appear to be OK which I would expect since there is power to the GFI. Any thing else to check or try before scheduling a trip to the dealer.
A gfi can run more than 1 outlet and you probably have more than one. There maybe even one outside in a bay or entertainment center reset all to them.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmohio View Post
Many if not most GFI's have a split bus with a line (incoming) and load (outgoing) side. It is fairly common to connect a string of outlets to the load side so all are protected by the one GFI. I'd reset the GFI. If that did not work I would pull it and check the connections. If they are tight use a meter to make sure power is getting through the GFI. A good one will pass the power for a coffee pot but a bad one could fail under the load. Especially if there are other things plugged in. The most failures occur early in the life of a device and late in the life. Sounds like you might have an early life failure due to a manufacturing defect. It happens.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments. Following are some responses to the comments.

- I did a test and reset to the GFI.

- We were on campground power, no generator, AC, TV, water heater, etc. all worked. All breakers were in on position. Did not have a voltmeter with me.

- All outlets appear to run off the same GFI.

I will add to my original post that this probably started Saturday evening and we started to get some rain. I was moving a cooler than will run on 12volt and it became unplugged. When I plugged it back in the GFI tripped. I went inside and rest the GFI but did not re-plugin the cooler. Everything seemed to be working at that point. Made coffee yesterday morning and on the second pot no power to any wall plugs.

After we returned home yesterday I started to check this out and found that all wall plugs now had power. I pulled the GFI and did not find any loose wires. I appears that power comes to the GFI from the breaker and then power is routed from the GFI to the wall plugs.

I guessing I need to replace the GFI.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For testing outlets you need a 3 light outlet tester and a trouble lamp (Drop cord whatever you want to call it) I like a 100 watt model.

3LT tells you if it is properly wired.

100 watt lamp tells you it is well connected (As opposed to poorly connected).

You made coffee, most likely in the kitchen (Where I make mine) that is down-line of the GFCI.. You say all outlets are so connected... IF you have power at the GFCI (you said it was working) and not at other outlets then either

1: You have a 2nd GFCI
2: YOu have a bad connection.. POSSIBLY at the back of the GFCI Possibly at the 1st down-line outlet.

THe Quick Box outlets they use in RV's are.. In my opinion.. .JUNK.