Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New water pump pulsating

Just installed a new Shur-Flo water-pump to gain increased volume. That part works as it should however, when the pump is running it seems like it is pulsating and the interior lights flicker. I hooked it up to the same wires as the older Shur-Flo was hooked to. I'm currently in a campground and plugged into 50 amp service which has been checked out and works ok.

Am I drawing to much current for the somewhat larger pump? Went from 2.8 gpm to 4.4 gpm.

thanks,
Jim
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

My first gut feeling is it may be an adjustment on the pump itself. I don't see how it can be a 12 volt supply problem. Is your pump as hard to get to as my coach is? I can't even see it unless I use a mirror to look behind the metal panel.

I think a call to the Surflo people is in order.
Good luck and keep us informed as this pump is on my "to do" list.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Pete, My pump is located in the compartment next to the one with all the pipes and dump valves. Still have to stand on my head to work on it but at least it is not behind the metal panel.
Think I'll call Shure-Flo on Monday to see if they have an answer.
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That pump does indeed draw more amps and the wiring may be a bit on the skimpy side. Also the pump relay (controller as well). A skinny wire under a high load will cause a reaction like that.

What model Shur-flo? Is a variable speed type? My Aquajet variable speed pump can draw up to 10 amps.

The pulsing is a result of the higher pump capacity. It can deliver a lot more water than the old 2.8, so it reaches the cut-off pressure (40-45 psi) more quickly and cycles off, then quickly comes back on as the water continues to flow out of the faucet. The old 2.8 gpm pump just ran flat out all the time trying to keep up with demand.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #5

Hook up an accumulator to the system. The larger the better.
Sometimes called an extrol tank.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That pump does indeed draw more amps and the wiring may be a bit on the skimpy side. Also the pump relay (controller as well). A skinny wire under a high load will cause a reaction like that.

What model Shur-flo? Is a variable speed type? My Aquajet variable speed pump can draw up to 10 amps.

The pulsing is a result of the higher pump capacity. It can deliver a lot more water than the old 2.8, so it reaches the cut-off pressure (40-45 psi) more quickly and cycles off, then quickly comes back on as the water continues to flow out of the faucet. The old 2.8 gpm pump just ran flat out all the time trying to keep up with demand.
That was my initial thought too. The pump volume is too much for the plumbing size.
A work-around might be to install a 2G expansion tank just after the pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

Some pumps have/had adjustment screws at the bottom not sure what they adjusted [smile]. As mentioned, wiring can be an issue--epecially if your coach has two or more switches [three-ways] and no pump controller is used [long wiring run + small wire = drop voltage]--adding a relay and wiring a clean/direct 12v supply line may help this issue. Large capacity pumps can/will out run single faucets, causing the pump to cycle--adding an expansion tank will help.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You have faucets that can release water at a rate of maybe 1-2 gpm, and usually much less if not turned full on. Your pump is pushing out 4+ gpm, so of course it shuts off, then turns on again after a few seconds. Yu can experiment with this simply by opening the faucet more or less and observing the pulse change. Open a second faucet and the pulse may go away altogether. The only value of a higher capacity pump is to allow more than one faucet to get full flow simultaneously. Otherwise its just wasted capacity. It's nice though, to be able to turn on a faucet without causing the person in the shower to yelp!

An accumulator changes the duration of the pulse, i.e. you can run a bit of water before the pump starts cycling. Once you have depleted the accumulator reserve, the pump cycles again to refill the accumulator, so you get wider spaced pulses. And you can run water briefly with no pump cycle at all.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump