Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Newbee question on towing a car

We just bought a Class A Damon Daybreak. We bought it off a widow who's husband used to tow a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. We got the whole hook up, tow bar, mounting plates, and break unit.

I want to tow a 1994 Mustang GT Convertible, 5.0L, manual transmission with it. The local Ford dealer says that it can be towed all 4 flat (toad) But, my Roadmaster tow bar doesn't have the brackets for my Mustang. I looked around, and Blue Ox makes the brackets, but the total cost to tow the car is over $3K.

Now we're thinking of looking at a tow dolly instead. That way we could take any car we want. If I can tow the mustang flat, I should be able to tow it on a dolly right?

tmitch5188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think you can tow any Mustang flat without modification. Therefore you can't tow it on a dolly unless the rear tires are on the dolly, which I wouldn't recommend for any convertible. You may want to read the owner's manual for clarification.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I got a buddy who owes me favors, due to his one time over indulgence in alcohol and farm animals. I took him my old Blue Ox tow bar and my 2000 S10 Blazer, and he built the adapters, using 3/8 flat steel and some serious welding techniques. They bolt to the frame with aviation grade fine thread fasteners (nuts and lockbolts). It's held together for over 50k miles. He says the frame will fail before his stuff will fail. Cost 250 and his secret remains safe, till I need something else.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Another Mustang owner here

Check in your Owner's manual or with Ford. Towing with the rear tires on the ground spins the driveshaft. The manual transmission has no provision to lubricate the rear bearing or seal unless the engine is turning the main shaft in the transmission. it will damage them. You will have to disconnect the driveshaft at the rear axle to dolly tow...

I bought a trailer...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
On the Go - One of These Days...
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Friendly advice for a newbe, 1. never take for granted what a salesman tells you without proof. 2. find another vehicle to tow 4 down, save yourself the headaches of a dolly.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I looked, it appears the 5.0 manual trans Mustang is flat towable. You would need the baseplate ($395) installed, and your tail lights wired. You would also need the adapter from Blue Ox to Roadmaster. If you are a DIYer you could do the work yourself. If not you need to pay someone to install the items for you. Should not be that much for a day or less of labor.
SoIlBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
...and you need brakes for the toad. I got the brake buddy which requires some permanant wiring installation, and very little installation and removal effort each time you use it. It'll look really good at the crash scene.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes you can tow the stick shift Mustang GT V8.

You can get adapters to use the Blue Ox base plate with a Roadmaster tow bar - no need for all new stuff.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing