Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

I am so new that we don't even have an RV yet. This weekend we are going to the Newmar dealers in Florida. The question I have is for the wives. I see all the men posting details, but not from the wives. Just wondering if anyone would care to mention the pros and cons of RV living so I can decide if its right for me.
pattypom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I think once you start reading in depth here you'll be pleasantly surprised how many wife's and ladies participate .
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I think if you are not sure about camping . I would rent a camper before buying one. I would go for a few days or a few long week ends. Camping is not for every one and that would be a lot of money to put in a RV Camper.

T.L.T. (Cliff)
t.l.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #5

Can't answer your question being a male, but no doubt about it, DW ABSOLUTELY loves everything from start to finish pertaining to traveling, camping. It was her desired to trade up at our recent RV show. She also says I am much more relaxed and easier to get along with while camping Welcome to the forum.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

My DW likes RVing and does all the cooking in the RV except if we are going to grille something and that is where I come in.

Like previously stated I would recommend buying used and seeing if you like it, however I dont know what is not to like.

As far as your Newmar dealer in FL; I would go to the Newmar owners forum on this site, that is click on owners forum then click on Newmar. I will say being I like Winnebagos I would check them out too.

Welcome to Irv2 and you will learn a lot here.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

Patty.. There is "camping", and there is "RV'ing". RVing in style, with all the amenities of home is so different then camping in the rain/heat/cold/. We drive our "condo on wheels", to the "campsite", and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. You will get used to it FAST. And, you get to see this wonderful America and all it's beauty.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypom View Post
I am so new that we don't even have an RV yet. This weekend we are going to the Newmar dealers in Florida. The question I have is for the wives. I see all the men posting details, but not from the wives. Just wondering if anyone would care to mention the pros and cons of RV living so I can decide if its right for me.
Howdy and welcome! When you say, "RV living", do you mean full time living in an RV? My hubby and I are "vacationers" and not full-timers, but we love RVing. I would never give up my home and garden, however. There are MANY pros to RVing; here are a few...

- Having your own bed, kitchen and bathroom no matter where you go. (Con--you have to make up your own bed and clean the bathroom. Cooking is optional.)

- Travel at your own pace and schedule. If you don't like the view where you are, simply go someplace else. (Con--fuel prices are high so moving around is pricey )

- It's like having a summer home wherever you'd like. (Con--you still have upkeep and maintenance on that summer home.)

If you have never RV'd, I'd strongly suggest renting a motorhome and taking an extended trip. You'll know whether this is something you want to do. The investment is steep when purchasing an RV, so do lots of reading on the forum and ask plenty of questions. There are also lots of RVers' blogs on the internet that can give a real-life perspective on the lifestyle. Good luck to you.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glamping

Patty, you'll love "Glamping". Believe me when I say to my DW "let's put some food in the fridge and get out of here". She is the first out the door followed by our two furry friends. We always have the coach ready to go and we go! Glamping is fun, go for it!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like suggested, for a first RV experience, I'd rent one for a week and see how it goes. Next, I'd buy a gently used one for the first one and not have the heavy depreciation that all new RVs suffer from. Seldom does the first RV fulfill the needs of the RVer and is soon replaced with something more in line with the real needs.

DO not get stars in your eyes and fall in love with one and let the salesman know...they can read a customer like a book. Back off and do not buy the first one you see that is all shiny and pretty.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Howdy and welcome! When you say, "RV living", do you mean full time living in an RV? My hubby and I are "vacationers" and not full-timers, but we love RVing. I would never give up my home and garden, however. There are MANY pros to RVing; here are a few... - Having your own bed, kitchen and bathroom no matter where you go. (Con--you have to make up your own bed and clean the bathroom. Cooking is optional.) - Travel at your own pace and schedule. If you don't like the view where you are, simply go someplace else. (Con--fuel prices are high so moving around is pricey ) - It's like having a summer home wherever you'd like. (Con--you still have upkeep and maintenance on that summer home.) If you have never RV'd, I'd strongly suggest renting a motorhome and taking an extended trip. You'll know whether this is something you want to do. The investment is steep when purchasing an RV, so do lots of reading on the forum and ask plenty of questions. There are also lots of RVers' blogs on the internet that can give a real-life perspective on the lifestyle. Good luck to you.
X2 - Mrs Chilerick
Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

I am relatively new to RVing and we have only gone on short trips - we had an old RV several years ago when our kids were little. That was a different experience. Now, I find that my husband and I are much closer as every trip is a different experience and we are right there with each other making all our decisions together. We are so looking forward to this spring and summer for some long trips!
rblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard, my DW loves to travel in the Motor Home. I do most of the posting here and other places as she is just a little technologically challenged, lol....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags