Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Britexan
Newbie advice

Hi all, I am a complete novice, I know next to nothing about Ring, I don't yet own an RV, and I am after advise here. I am a keen motorcyclist but am no longer wanting to go on mega mile trips on the bike. Get n RV. My wife and I have looked at Toy haulers, Cyclone, Raptor etc, also the Thor Outlaw, Newmar 3921. I am wanting to know is it worth going for a Toy hauler over a diesel motorhome, and if I go for a diesel is a trailer better or a motorcycle lift? We intend buying in July and have roughly $150g available funds. I also only have a Ford F250 SD so am very limited in what I can tow. I will be gratefull for any advice or experiences you can give.
Britexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Saw you on another thread.

My wife and I tour many miles with motorcycle and popup. At the moment on hold because of a hip replacement. Once that is done we are back on as we enjoy the touring.

We currently have a 43' 5er we pull with an F450. Enough room for two touring motorcycles and plenty of room for us to snowbird in. The larger trailer gives us enough room to spread out and enjoy ourselves, especially if the weather is inclement. Also have two TV so we can pursue our favorite programs when we want to.

We are moving to a coach and stacker. The importance of toys cannot be overstressed. Our observation at the moment is there appears to be less storage in the coach than in the 5er, but more living space. How much less storage will become clearer once we start moving the stuff across.

We have a nice kitchen but prefer to do most of our cooking outside. Keeps the odors outside where they belong. Can carry the grill in the toybox. Grill is important because we can cook most everything on it.

Best advice I can give it to sit down and discuss with DW what you see the RV being used for. Try to think outside the box because as soon as you start getting out you will find there are no limits to what is available to do. What are the things that you will absolutely not do?

Will you high end RV Resort all the way to boondocking? All are available and we have done them all. We currently have a leased lot we return to each year but I can see that changing in the future.

Will you travel often and have short stays or will you travel infrequently and stay for long periods - or somewhere in between. Travelling often is better with a MH for set up, take down and travel while a 5er or TT may be better to set up and stay.

Regardless of what decision you make IMO you will enjoy the RV life like we do. We started out slowly but now spend over 6 months a year in the RV. It will go up in the next few years but if is very unlikely we will go full time.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went with the Class A Toy Hauler. The Outlaw is the original (since 2007) and best selling with 2 floor plans. The Canyon Star's are very nice too (made since 2009) - also with 2 floor plans.
2015 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class C Motorhomes by Thor Motor Coach
and
Canyon Star Floorplans | Newmar

And there are others in the used market, see: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

The reason we went with a Class A Toy Hauler was the versatility and options. The garage becomes a spare room when the toys are unloaded, your bike is safe and protected inside the motorhome, not bouncing down the road like on a trailer or exposed on a rear-end lift, and you can still tow a car and/or other trailer if you want.

The reason there are no newly produced Diesel Toy Haulers is because the engine must be forward of the rear axle to have the flat rear garage deck.

If you really want Diesel, there were some mid-engine Diesels made in the past, but they are rare. And, Front Engine Diesel's (FRED's) were offered in the Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter and the Damon | Thor Outlaw. These had the Cummins I-6 that comes in the Dodge Pick-up, but these chassis were discontinued and we are not talking 450HP monsters.

If you have motorcycles or have a need for a garage in your RV (dog breeder/show, workspace/office/shop from the road) there is nothing better. And there is really no financial reason not to get one now, with the used models like Outlaws selling for the low $50K's and used Canyon Star's coming into the market too.

Having said all that...if you must have the mega-HP Diesel Pusher then, sorry there is no Class A Toy Hauler made for you. And if you want an average to nice towable Toy Hauler, there's probably a new pick-up truck in your future.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A toyhaulers are nice.

The motor coaches such as the HaulMark are nice as well. They have larger towing capacities than most MH.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Super Class C Toy Haulers (AKA: MDT and HDT Conversions) like Haulmark and Renegade are in a very different price point than the Class A's.
Custom Luxury Motor Homes, Sportdecks, & Trailers | Renegade RV
and
Haulmark Motorcoach Motor Homes, Motor Garages, and Sport Decks

They are BEAUTIFUL but expensive - considering the budget provided above.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a listing for used.

List of Super C and C+ motorhomes for sale

Some seem to be well placed.

Tags
advice, newbie