Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Newbie asks, what type of RV do you recommend

First, let me introduce myself. Married to my high school sweetheart, three kids, almost empty nesters, collect classic cars, and recently retired. I was forced to retire because of Parkinson's last year at the age of 47. Luckily, I worked hard and I earned the ability to retire. I am truly blessed to have married my best friend 27 years ago, now we want to move to Florida, set up home base, and travel the good old US. Ok, now to the question....and it's a loaded one because I'm asking your opinion.

If you had a disease that controlled your movements and you had 2-3 continuous hours of self-control (thanks to modern medicine) for 2-3 times a day, what type RV would you recommend, 5th wheel or motorhome (gas or diesel)? Assume your wife (or husband) is willing and able to drive or pull it. Sorry pull trailer fans, we've owned a 1964 Scotty pull trailer and a 31' pull trailer, but these are not right for us.

Admittedly, we are leaning toward diesel MH, just looks to be easier, should my co-captain need to take over.

Thanks in advance for your valued input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

I would recommend a class A motorhome, much easier to get around in and put in camp spots. I think a gas coach would be better considering they are a bit more friendly when it comes to maintenance but that is up to you. Not sure how big you want but the diesel coaches are usually bigger, up around 38 to 45 feet.The most important thing is the floor plan and what gives you the most comfort and room to move around in. Gas or diesel, they are all the same inside once you are sitting still. Good luck with your adventure.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have MS, diagnosed in 1983 but not handicapped to the OP's degree (yet). Got our first MH in 1988 and had gone from a Type B to a C to an A and haven't even considered going back too seriously. But the DW died last year and the seven cats and I don't need 45' of space.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #4

I think that I'd lean towards a motorhome.
You wouldn't have the issue of hooking up a 5th wheel every time you wanted to move.
Hooking up a towed car is simpler than hooking up a 5th wheel.
Driving is driving so I don't think that there would be much difference between the choices there.
If you have a pull through site with a motorhome when you park it you can be pretty much done, you're home.
The advantage with a 5th wheel is fueling, you don't need to take the house with you to the gas station.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I too would lean to a MH for you. Also consider a small towing a small car behind as you will find it a real pain to take and park the MH every time you want to explore, visit, shop an such.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Scott & Tricia! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would recommend a motorhome since it would be easier for Tricia to handle. Much easier to back into a campsite than a 5th wheel or travel trailer. Depending on the size you want, and of course the budget figure you set, you might want to consider a class C. You can get the chassis serviced most anywhere and it still has the power to pull the most popular toads. I would get a toad that can be towed 4-down. The tow dolly would probably be too difficult for her to handle.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Motor home and 4 down towed. Simplest setup, best access. If you start having a problem just pull off the road and get sorted out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #8

Another vote for a motorhome. I would pay special attention to ease of setup and pre-trip prep. Such things that may minimize the need to bend and stoop, reach deep into access compartments, kneel, etc. For instance: powered hose and electrical cable reels, easy opening compartments, easily accessible pre-trip items (dipsticks, reservoirs, etc.), auto leveling, storage pull-out slides, good fuel capacity to reduce refuel stops.

If you sometimes experience night time discomfort or difficulty sleeping, you may want to consider a rig with two equally comfortable and well equipped sleeping areas. I mention this because I have some joint and muscular issues that will cost me a great deal of sleep from time to time. It is very nice to have another comfy sleeping area, so my dear wife can get a good night's sleep while I stay up and contend with my pain.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorhome with flat towed toad. My father traveled many years with health issues. If he was having health difficulty, with the self contained motorhome he could stop, push a few buttons, and not even have to go outside.

As for gas vs diesel, depends on usage model mostly to me. We had large gasser when in vacation mode (weekends and week long vacation couple times a year, with relatively short drives). Now in retirement mode with a larger DP for longer distance driving and trips of months duration. On the economic side, gasser is definitely cheaper to maintain.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #10

Thanks!

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is certainly looking like a MH is the way to go. I think I'll look for a driving class for my DW.
Honk when you see us! And when you pull in for the evening, just follow the aroma, that's our dinner in the Dutch oven.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. It is certainly looking like a MH is the way to go. I think I'll look for a driving class for my DW.
Honk when you see us! And when you pull in for the evening, just follow the aroma, that's our dinner in the Dutch oven.
A driving class is the best thing you can do. I would suggest that you both take the class. Then what one forgot the other will remember.Hopefully.
If you are going to travel to medium to large cities I might suggest that you don't pull a tow vehicle. A rental car will make things easier for both of you.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think most things would be easier to do in a class A MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
It is certainly looking like a MH is the way to go. I think I'll look for a driving class for my DW.
Why only a driving class for the DW? If you are both new to a RV/motorhome it would be helpful for you, also. In addition, they might be showing your wife how to do something and it would not be the way you would do it so there could be a conflict and trying to correct her in the way she learned.

Check out the RV Driving School when you're ready.

RV School
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #14

I don't think there is any one single right answer, and a lot depends on how exactly you plan to explore the country. Our situation is somewhat similar to yours, but likely not as pronounced, my wife was diagnosed with MS 7 or 8 years ago, and due to her need to take breaks, rest, avoid overexertion, or possibly be bedridden with little warning, we decided to invest in a motorhome last year. A big bathroom with a big shower was important to her for motor control issues when she is having an MS attack, we also wanted to something maneuverable to actively travel in, not just go to one place and park for a couple of weeks. So we ended up buying a 2002 Safari Trek 2830 which has a HUGE bathroom for its size thanks to the queen bed that lowers from the ceiling in the livingroom avoiding the need for a separate bedroom, we may consider buying a small car to pull behind it at a later date. We have only made small trips in it together so far, so details are yet to be determined, however we have a big trip to Wyoming planned for the summer. At 29.5 ft overall the Trek can squeeze in lots of places a larger motorhome could not go, particularly one pulling a TOAD, but there are still lots of places I dare not try to fit, so it is still a compromise
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags