Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #1

hello there!! i am a new motorhome owner and have a couple of questions. i have read a few books and talked with a few people and have gotten a lot of different answers, so i figured this would be a great place to hear more from experts like yourselves!

my first question is about cleaning products. i have read that you have to use rv safe cleaning products. from what i can tell the only thing that really matters is what you put down your toilet. i have also been told that anything is fine. what do you all use to clean your toilets? what do you use to clean your sinks? what about to scour the shower clean? i would prefer to use comet in the kitchen sink and soft scrub in the bathroom sink and to scour the shower. is that ok? or am i breaking a rv rule by doing so? i don't want to hurt anything. i mistakenly used regular toilet bowl cleaner the first time i cleaned the rv. i am hoping i didn't do any damage.

another question is about candles. i haven't seen anything in the books about them. at home i burn a lot of candles and would like to do so on the road (only when parked mind you ). but i fear that it isn't safe. would really not like to blow my rig up just to smell pretty. if its not safe to burn candles do any of you use things like glade plug-ins or bath and body works wall flowers? i don't see a problem with using these types of things, but i am a newbie so my vote doesn't count.

my last question is about antibacterial soaps. are they ok on the system? do you have to buy the kind they sell in the rv shops specifically for rv's? i am currently using my own kind and hoping i am not doing anything wrong.

i thank you in advance for any help you can offer. i look forward to hearing from you. hope you have a nice weekend!

thanks again-
kerrie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #2

hello there!! i am a new motorhome owner and have a couple of questions. i have read a few books and talked with a few people and have gotten a lot of different answers, so i figured this would be a great place to hear more from experts like yourselves!

my first question is about cleaning products. i have read that you have to use rv safe cleaning products. from what i can tell the only thing that really matters is what you put down your toilet. i have also been told that anything is fine. what do you all use to clean your toilets? what do you use to clean your sinks? what about to scour the shower clean? i would prefer to use comet in the kitchen sink and soft scrub in the bathroom sink and to scour the shower. is that ok? or am i breaking a rv rule by doing so? i don't want to hurt anything. i mistakenly used regular toilet bowl cleaner the first time i cleaned the rv. i am hoping i didn't do any damage.

another question is about candles. i haven't seen anything in the books about them. at home i burn a lot of candles and would like to do so on the road (only when parked mind you ). but i fear that it isn't safe. would really not like to blow my rig up just to smell pretty. if its not safe to burn candles do any of you use things like glade plug-ins or bath and body works wall flowers? i don't see a problem with using these types of things, but i am a newbie so my vote doesn't count.

my last question is about antibacterial soaps. are they ok on the system? do you have to buy the kind they sell in the rv shops specifically for rv's? i am currently using my own kind and hoping i am not doing anything wrong.

i thank you in advance for any help you can offer. i look forward to hearing from you. hope you have a nice weekend!

thanks again-
kerrie

Old 04-30-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and glad you found us.

As for cleaning products inside the RV, we pretty much ue what we use at home, but we do not use uch in the way of "harsh chemicals". Read the lables on the toilet cleaner and see if it is compatible with the bowl material. Same gores for the kitchen.

As for burning candles. do what yor heart desires, but just remember that you are living in a much smaller and confined spaced. A litle sent goes a ong way and can easily be over powering in a small space. Just like home, make sure the candle is in/on a safe surace and is out unless you are in the room with it.

We personally do not use candles or spras due to allergies and we do travel with a parrot. with the bird, we have to be very careful of the air in the RV...thus the limited heavy duty cleaners.

Ken

Ken
Old 04-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #4

HiHo -
We generally use the same things we use at home, making sure there are no harsh chemicals that could hurt the surfaces. One of the best "all around" cleaners I've found is Windex! It cleans up most surfaces and works great on water spots. Windex and paper towels keep our RV lookin' spiffy between heavy duty cleanings. I try to do the deep cleaning just before we dump the holding tanks so the cleaning stuff doesn't sit in them very long. Everyone has a different method - keep reading and you'll come up with what works best for you. RVing is fun - enjoy!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #5

Welcome Kerrie, I use greased lightening on the shower surround. Spray it on and about 10 minutes later wash it off. It really gets the scum off. AS far as the sinks (bathroom & bedroom) I use a comet "scrub" But as the person before said I usually do this when we are ready to go, or use LOTS of water to wash it down. If you have a white kitchen sink, I have also used clorox and water to soak stains out (coffee) As far as the bathroom toilet, I use scrubbing bubbles and spray that. Good luck and have fun, wwelcome to iRV2 As far as candles, make sure they are not close to a day night shade.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #6

ken, sallysmom and sue-

thanks for you advice. i feel so much better now. i was hoping i wasn't going to have to buy the rv toilet bowl cleaner @$8.79 a bottle. glad to know i can use whatever!

also glad to know that i will not blow up my rig if i decide to light up a candle.

happy trails to all of you and thanks again!

kerrie
Old 05-03-2005, 03:46 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I think there are two concerns regarding cleaners. One is how it will react to any chemicals that you put in your waste water system. Will it negate the process for which you have added the chemicals? Will it react negatively with the chemicals?

The other concern has to do with the surfaces you are cleaning. If the sinks are plastic you can really get them very scratched with a harsh abrasive.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Hello!

Have you seen the candle warmers they have out now? Looks like the mug warmers, sort of like a little hot plate. It's electric. Made for the candles in a jar I think. Just set the jar on the warmer and turn it on. No flame to worry about.

andrea
Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #9

I agree with what the other RVers have said and can add one thing, DO NOT use bleach in the toilet, with ammonia from urine it becomes explosive and can also damage seals.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Hi Kerrie -

Welcome to this forum! This is definitely the spot to find answers to your questions!

We recently bought a new 5th wheel and although it's a rolling "home on wheels" - not all of them are alike or use the same products...ie..sinks and toilets. What worked on my old 5ver doesn't work on the new one.

You should have received a manual of some sort when you purchased your new rig. Spend some time going through all that.....stuff...it's boring and tedious work, but it will also tell you what you can and cannot use on various things in the RV such as the inside of the fridge, the underside of the awnings....etc etc etc

For the most part you can use the same things as you would at home, however Comet Cleanser or other types of abrasive cleaners will scratch and mar the surface. Go with something like Soft Scrub.

Good ideas here - lessons to be learned by all! I always clean my toidy when we arrive at a campsite- never thought about the effects of the cleaning chemicals interacting in the tank. I can just see the headlines now..........

<span class="ev_code_RED">Man blown up while sitting on the pot!</span> If could only happen to RustyJC!!!

Sandy
Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #11

thanks lynnvt, andrea, novi and sandy for you advice.

i will feel much better the next time i clean my rv. which will hopefully be some time in the near future!!!

andrea-thanks for the candle warmer tip!! i actually have one of them already and just never crossed my mind for the rv. i have cats that like to set themselves on fire so i keep one around the house. i will have to run and get a second for the rv.

sandy-avoiding an explosion was why i posted! hehehe. glad to see i am not the only one with visions for doing so.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
tgt

Sally's Mom & I clean the toilet the same way - just use the same stuff I would use at home just before dumping the tanks. Windex takes care of the rest.

We burn scented tea lights, in holders.

Best way to clean your shower? Get in there with a fabric softener dryer sheet! (Like Bounce or Snuggle brands.) No kidding - rub it on fiberglass or glass, with a little work the soap scum comes right off and it smells good, doesn't contain harsh chemicals - and your shower stays nice for a long, long time! Try it and you won't clean your shower with anything else again.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #13

Hi:
Just from watching the news, the plugins are very dangerous. Apparently they can easily overheat and start fires.

I used to use candles but stopped doing so when I left one burning. So I buy the Glade Spray and it does the trick.

As for cleaners, just the basics. After four years of RV traveling I haven't even noticed any soap scum in the shower.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #14

I just found this topic. Lots of great tips. One thing that I do is buy the wipy type cleaners. You know, the ones in the little pack that are premoistened with cleaner. I have a windex pack, a lysol pack, and a pledge pack. No need to carry the bottle and grab a paper towel too. I also don't like spraying anything in the small space.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote