Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I'd be finding me a new lake on a paved road...

Ken & Anita
2011 Newmar Essex, 45'- 4522, Cummins 500 ISM, 2013 CRV, RVI2 Brake with TPMS
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
For me, Class A all the way. The rider is smoother on any road that both should be on (Dirt road is not my cup of tea at all). The space is also much better, even if both are of equal size. Look at the storage on the Class A versus the Class C, or rather laugh at the lack thereof on the Class C.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
class C/classA

We now have a TT but our former Class A we installed a hitch on the front bumper to launch our boat. You could do the same with a Class C or any unit and it allows you to pull your boat then put her into the water when you want and you can see what is going on.
Dennis and Lorraine, old at camping only:
Denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had gas class A and C's. In general the class A will have fewer drivability issues, especially when compared to the larger class C's. Large C's (unless you go with a super C) are near the chassis weight limits before you add any camping gear, food and clothes. The A's will generally drive better, have more storage and getting use to driving is not really an issue.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Another thing to watch out for in either class A or C on that narrow dirt road that may not have been an issue with your pickup: headroom. Tree branches will sweep your AC units off you roof, and your awnings off the sides.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
As a former RV tech of about 20 years, I can tell you the feedback I got in that time, is that women are almost universally afraid of driving the A's! AND, the ONLY thing that cures/lessens that is familiarity?

My point is don't buy an A and expect her to navigate a road like you're describing first time out. The C will likely still be scary, but is the lesser of the 2 evils by a pretty fair amount.

The plan to pull the boat with the RV is probably a good one - assuming 2 things. The ramp you're going to be using is a reasonably good one, that's not too steep and has plenty of maneuvering room, and your hitch can handle the boat? Putting a small hitch on the front of the A works REALLY well when going that route (for use launching and retrieving). Better plan yet is to use the RV to pull the boat to the campsite, then use the truck (that she's driven to the campsite as well) to launch the boat?
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Originally Posted by P-n-P AZ RV View Post
Newbie and I tried searching this topic, but had no luck. So I apologize in advance if this has been discussed.

My wife and I are interested in possibly getting an RV. Looking at just doing some short trips around the Southwest to get familiar with RV'ing for now. We will also be going the our favorite lake on a regular basis. The road to the lake is not the best, it's a lane and a half wide for 10 miles of dirt with a lot of that distance on the edge of the mountain. I have all I can do to pull a 26' boat down this road with my pickup truck and the wife would be driving the RV.

My question is (due to the above mentioned road), how does the handling of a Class A compare to a Class C of equal length? What pro's and con's do any of your past experiences bring to mind?

Thank you for your time,
Consider a class B; particularly if the dirt road is as difficult as you state.
Don (RVM19) & Mary,
Furry friends Sophia & Zander
2006 Coachmen Freedom 289QB | 2004 Jeep

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We started with a TT and pickup, then a super C and now an A. We are off road all the time due to racing motocross and pulling into these tracks is sketchy to put it lightly. We have been towed in and out by bulldozer on many an occasion with all of them. My wife does most of the driving and was very comfortable with the C. She was very intimidated by the A class but after some practice it doesn't bother her at all. The A has such a better ride going down the road and so much room that we would never go back to a C. Not to mention the Cs rattle and squeak like crazy where or A is super quiet inside. Skip the c and you will be much happier.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
If the dirt road to the lake is a lane and a half wide, and your A or C is 96" or 99" (or more) wide, what happens when you meet another vehicle, particularly when you are hauling a boat ? Your current pickup is probably around 78-80" wide, unless it's a dually.

As has been mentioned, you may want to find a different lake on a paved road if you are going to commit to any MH except a Class B.

Best Wishes--Carl
Atlanta, GA

BTW--There is a beautiful lake at Cloudland Canyon State Park here in GA that we fished in for years when we tent camped and now go to with our pickup after unhitching the TT. It's accessable via a one-way loop road barely over 9' wide in some spots. We are considering a Class C and know we will not be able to fish there any more unless we have a toad or an accompanying vehicle. -cgc-
MrWhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #24
I've had everything except a DP

I've pulled popups, 24' travel trailer, 27' 5'r, 32' class A, 31' class C, and now a 36' class A. I love driving the class A's the best. With the class C, you sit down from the living area and if you need to see traffic approaching from your right, I always had to turn the mh to the right just to be able to see. With the class A, you are sitting at the same level as the living area and you have access to all the windows to view approaching traffic.

Jwhines is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, class c, newbie