Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Question Newbie: Handling Class A vs Class C

Newbie and I tried searching this topic, but had no luck. So I apologize in advance if this has been discussed.

My wife and I are interested in possibly getting an RV. Looking at just doing some short trips around the Southwest to get familiar with RV'ing for now. We will also be going the our favorite lake on a regular basis. The road to the lake is not the best, it's a lane and a half wide for 10 miles of dirt with a lot of that distance on the edge of the mountain. I have all I can do to pull a 26' boat down this road with my pickup truck and the wife would be driving the RV.

My question is (due to the above mentioned road), how does the handling of a Class A compare to a Class C of equal length? What pro's and con's do any of your past experiences bring to mind?

Thank you for your time,
Pat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A lot depends on the specific RV, some handle better than others. That being said, a class C will drive like a Van, the front tires are in front of the driver. A class A drives slightly different, the front wheels are under or behind the driver, so the turns are different, and the feeling of where the right front tire is, in respect to the edge of the road, is totally different. This doesen't mean one is harder to drive than the other, they are just different and one needs to get used to the feel and how to judge where the tires are with respect to the center of the lane.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-n-P AZ RV View Post
Newbie and I tried searching this topic, but had no luck. So I apologize in advance if this has been discussed.

My wife and I are interested in possibly getting an RV. Looking at just doing some short trips around the Southwest to get familiar with RV'ing for now. We will also be going the our favorite lake on a regular basis. The road to the lake is not the best, it's a lane and a half wide for 10 miles of dirt with a lot of that distance on the edge of the mountain. I have all I can do to pull a 26' boat down this road with my pickup truck and the wife would be driving the RV.

My question is (due to the above mentioned road), how does the handling of a Class A compare to a Class C of equal length? What pro's and con's do any of your past experiences bring to mind?

Thank you for your time,
Pat
An RV is not an off road vehicle. I'd say, any road you have real difficulty navigating with a pickup truck will not be suitable for an RV.

I presume that by saying "...and the wife would be driving the RV", that you mean that she would not be as confident a driver as you are.

So, if you have moderate difficulty navigating the road with a pickup truck, you will have REAL difficulty with a 40' RV, and your wife will almost surely meet with failure.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

Go with the C, it will be less stressful for the driver. Not that the driver couldn't handle an A, but a A does get some getting used to. Good luck and happy searching!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

Get the A, especially if it is a gasser. Not much difference, and so much more room. Take it slow and easy, it will be ok. Pull the boat with the A also, and you drive. You can always find somebody with a pickup to launch the boat if needed, or just do it with the MH.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Get the A, especially if it is a gasser. Not much difference, and so much more room. Take it slow and easy, it will be ok. Pull the boat with the A also, and you drive. You can always find somebody with a pickup to launch the boat if needed, or just do it with the MH.

That's the way I would do it, except have the wife follow you in the truck. Actually I wouldn't do it at all, I try to avoid dirt roads whenever possible. Current rig has never seen a dirt road.

Glenn
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had absolutely no trouble adjusting to a 35' Gas Class A. Seriously--after one or two trips, I could easily navigate that thing frontwards/backwards, and in all kinds of spots. When I upgraded to a 40' Diesel Pusher, that took (is still taking!) a lot more concentration for me. The distance between front and rear wheels of my 35' gasser was much shorter than my 40' DP, and that makes a big difference for me. Sitting in front of the front wheels with the DP, surprisingly, wasn't as much of a challenge for me. So I'd say get a Class A Gas that's 35' or less... but I've never driven a Class C personally.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #8

I really appreciate all if the input!! Those were very good ideas to consider. I think that I need to get the wife in each class and have her do a little driving. I think she needs to be in the seat to see which she's more comfortable with.

Thank you all again!!

Pat
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

Several years ago I owned a TC. Smaller TC then a larger TC. We camped every where. Wasn't many places where the TC wouldn't go. I traded that TC for a 34 MH. First big trip out I buried that MH while I was off road in the same placeI took my TC. Just keep in mind MHs are heavy. They really are not meant for off road use. If I turned back the clock 25 years I would be back in a TC and sell my MH where off road was not a problem. I do go off road with my MH but very limited.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
There is a LOT of difference between driving a class C and a class A!!! I have had both. I drove the class C over the old Hoover Dam bridge with no problem but driving down the highway next to construction cones scares me (maybe because I hit one). This is my second class A and I love all the room inside but it is NOT as easy to drive. The length is no problem and towing a car is no problem, but driving on narrow roads or next to 18-wheelers does scare me.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had both, prefer the drive ability of the Class C, especially for boondocking, and a Class a for road trips. Neither are really great off the pavement. As I normally suggest to anyone asking about getting into RVing, rent one style for a week end, then rent the other for the next trip.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #12

Wow, you guys are great. I absolutely appreciate the great points that you all have brought up!! The experiences that you have shared are very useful as well. At first we weren't really thinking about an A, but now it may be an option.
Great idea about renting each one and giving them an actual test run. This would gives us a real world opinion on both. Again, thank you all for the great feedback!!! It's been very helpful and has shed a lot of light on the issue.

Many thanks,
Pat
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Driven Type A, Type B and Type C motorhomes. Each is different, not necessarily better than the other. I prefer the A now that I have many miles in them. The last B I drove was in 1988, the last C was in 1998 and now have the 41' Type A.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drive an A dp and wouldn't drive it down a dirt road. It's just not meant for that. I've never driven a C so can't comment on that type. From observation, A's tend to be taller so more top heavy and sway more I would think. Someone might correct me on that who had driven both.

tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c, newbie