Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Thank you all so much. As for the cover, I didn't expect to actually park the coach under it unless the weather's bad. But it will come in handy when it rains and for leaving our old PT Cruiser up there full time.

Anyway, I'm really honing in on a diesel Dynaquest or a Jayco or Lexington Class C without the bunk over the cab. They sure cost a pretty penny, but then again you get what you pay for right. Anyone have any strong opinions for or against?

Rule62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome, and enjoy the planning and searching. It's a fun part of the journey. I would only caution you to consider carefully the size you want. Buy more than you think you'll need, unless you have some compelling limitations. 2 or 3 days camping is one thing, but once you start staying a week or more, or a month or so, you will realize the value of space. "Too big" will only last a few weeks, but "too small" will last forever.

Good Luck!

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #17
Of the three you mentioned, I'd vote Dyna. However, you also mentioned Krystal earlier. Being a former Krystal owner, I can say Krystal is one of the best made units that you'll find. The fact that they closed up shop makes no matter (non of the components that make up their units are proprietary). Thus, if something were to fail, you can get a replacement. The downside is if you absolutely have to have a diesel. The only F550 diesel based rigs were of the ill-fated 6.4 ilk. Ours had the V-10 gas (three-valve) and it never missed a beat. You could, of course, get a Cummins conversion in the Ford, but plan on spending around $20k to have that done (more or less). We sold our Krystal because it was, simply, too nice for our use (we like to travel Baja and Moab (off the beaten path) and was just too worried about battle scars to ever take it there). The other reason is we have two nuggets and I prefer to have them belted in in real motor vehicle seats and restraints, not traveling while sitting on a circular couch. Since it's just the two of you, then that shouldn't be a concern. But talk about comfort and amenities. They are damn nice. I'm a huge fan of their air sealed slides and the fact that they are made with 1" square tubing and honey comb core monolithic fiberglass panels. In other word, they are very strong. Although they aren't cheap for used, the bang for your buck is outstanding. Regardless, good luck with your search.
Big Okanagan on a big 4x4 Ram 5500.
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #18
Thanks for sharing your experience Deminimis! I do like the few Krystal's Diesel's I've seen. One's an '08 on an F550 platform. I'm assuming that it's the 6.4 you mentioned in your post. The other's a M-29 Duramax Diesel.

But for the same money, there's a larger inventory of pre-owned Dynamax products. And from what I've read it would seem that they enjoy a reputation for quality equal to that of Krystal.

Finally, I'm assuming you meant "human nuggets" in your post. We have a pug that will be traveling with us and when our 20 year old cat decided to punch out, we'll likely adopt another pug. I haven't given a tremendous amount of thought as to how to secure them in the coach.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #19
We nearly went with a Dynaquest back when we were looking (the Freightliner chassis was the reason). The Krystal, on the other hand, was a tad nicer (air sealed slides, air actuated stepwell cover, Optima leather walls/ceiling, that incredible shower, fixtures, were some of the selling points). The F-550 listed in your post above is way off the mark. However, the '09 with the Kodiak chassis is really nice. I mean, really nice. Our last truck had the Dmax/Allison combo and it was fantastic. Seneca used the Kodiak quite a bit, but the complaint I read several times was broken rear springs (too much weight on the factory set up). Since Krystal uses Ultra Ride rear air suspension, there are no springs to break. I was extremely impressed with the Ultra Ride set up. So much so I keep considering it for my new Ram 5500 truck. Either route you go, you'll be in good shape.
Big Okanagan on a big 4x4 Ram 5500.
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
Well, now that we've purchase a home with an RV pad ready to go, my search for the perfect coach is heating up. But just as many questions as answers have surfaced and I'd love some input from you who are so generous with your experience.

1) As focused as I was on a larger Class C, I've noticed that your money seems to get you more (space and features) in the Class A Diesel Pusher category. Why is that? Is it simple supply vs. demand or is there something more to it?

2) My instinctive rational for gravitation toward the Class C is to be behind the front axle for dynamics and safety. Is there a significant learning curve to driving a Class A rig? Should we invest in some training? It seems to me that there should be some advanced instruction before getting behind the wheel of a 35+ foot Class A rig.

3) In the Class C variety, my short list is Dynamax, Jayco, Gulfstream and Krystal (if I can find one big enough). Anyone have any favorites in the Class A Diesel Pusher category? So far I'm leaning toward the Newmar.

4) Finally, why is it so hard to find a King size bed. So many seem to be Queens.

Thanks in advance for humoring all my "Newbieness".

introduction, newbie