Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Newbie Introduction...

Hello RV'ers!

My wife and I are just entering the "serious" stage of looking for an RV. We live in SoCal but are planning to retire someday to the Oregon Coast. We purchased some property up there and rather than build on it now, we've decided to install a covered RV Pad and hookups and "drive" our house up there.

It's just the two of us and a couple of pugs so we don't need anything enormous. Having said that, we're not kids and have acclimated to some comforts we're not looking to sacrifice. In my preliminary research, I've determined that we'd probably looking for a clean 29-32ft. B+ (C-class) Diesel (Ford 550 or Duramax). Something that I can flat-tow my Diesel Grand Cherokee (5500lbs) behind for longer stays up North. I'd love to find one with a king size bed but they seem few and far between. So far I've honed in on the Dynamax ISATA F and the Forrest River Lexington line. Also Krystal Koach makes some nice units in that size, but I understand they went out of business.

Any one have any opinions or ideas, I'm all ears. I can't wait to start diving into these forums. Thanks in advance and maybe we'll see you on the road!

Rule62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club

To the IRV2 family.

Do you plan to leave any motorize RV in OR. rather than CA?

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and RVing!

We are from so cal also and have been retired for a year and RVing for 2. It's a blast, and my quest to photograph wildlife is being fulfilled.

Sorry I can't help on a rig that size. We just jumped from a 25ft diesel itasca navion to a 34 ft. Diesel pusher and enjoying the extra space and king bed.
Someone else will pop along soon and be able to make suggestions. This forum has been so helpful, saving us from mistakes and giving base knowledge.
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

To the IRV2 family.

Do you plan to leave any motorize RV in OR. rather than CA?
We plan to keep the RV in SoCal so we can use it for trips to the mountains for skiing and weekends at the beach. But our primary purpose is to have a place to stay on our property until we build.
Rule62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 and congratulations on your property......We love Oregon...its a great place to RV. Good luck in your search for a rig. Ask lots of questions before settling on "the right one".

Safe and Happy Travels.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.
Rich & Patricia
00 F350 7.3L___89 Terry Resort 25.5
___03 Klamath 30hp

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with some solutions.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
We live in TN. When we went to Alaska in 2009 we decided to take a detour on our way back and dropped down and drove the West Coast from Washington, Oregon, and California. We thoroughly enjoyed the drive along the Oregon coast, simply speaking it was breath taking.

We started out in a 31 ft Class C, no slide. This was a compromise since my wife wanted a 24 ft Class C because she was intimidated by the size. Our first coach served us well but after ~11 years and ~70K miles we decided we wanted to move up. We had been looking at various rigs from larger Class C's, Toy haulers, Class A's etc. Went to many shows, RV lots, and lots of research.

in 2008 I found a 2002 Class A Monaco Windsor on line in Florida, and by chance since I had to drive my parents down for the winter we stopped to look at it. Closed the deal the next week and never looked back. This coach serves us well with the additional size, amenities, and power. BTW, my wife drives the rig solo pulling our Jeep GC. I was working out of country for ~3 years and she went on many solo trips.

When you are looking at rigs think about what you want and will be satisfied with. Imagine yourself cooped up in the coach along the Oregon coast during a long rainy week and what size do you think you could survive in. Are there separate living areas where you and your wife can retreat to for "me" time.

In our Class C we were in confined space, almost claustrophobic. In our Class A we have 2 completely separate living areas LR & BR. This works well for us.

Good luck on your search and happy trails.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

We too just got started enjoying our new life style ..... FT in our new to us coach. The process for us took over a year finalize a purchase.
From reading tons of posts here (and a couple other forums) we began looking at floor plan first .... what details that were most important, etc. After looking a quite a few units (2 or 3 months worth) we set those requirements into coach size and power requirements ....
As stated earlier ... you've got to put yourself in unit while keeping in mind the duration you'll be in it .....
Please understand, we planned for Full Time Living .. so our requirements may be a bit different .... but take your time ... and enjoy the adventure ....

We look forward to cruising through OR .... probably in September ....

Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
We are glad you joined Us
David & Carol
2008 Damon Challenger
RVing is a life style you love so slow down and enjoy
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you found us!

Sorry I can't help with your question. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Evergreen Owners Club
Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
We plan to keep the RV in SoCal so we can use it for trips to the mountains for skiing and weekends at the beach. But our primary purpose is to have a place to stay on our property until we build.
I'll throw this out just for thought. In your original post, you mentioned a rv cover and hook ups. A cover does a good job in keeping the direct sun off of the rv. But, it also does a good job in keeping the sunlight out of the rv, making it dark during the day. Sounds like you would be spending a few weeks on the property and then returning to California.
You may want to rethink when the rv cover is built. Like I said, just a thought.
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Get the biggest RV that is practical. It is like building a shed. You can not build it too big. We used to take a 40' MH to the mountains to ski. Always appreciated the extra space. There was room to throw our ski togs on chairs to dry, room for the boots and room for us to have lunch and lounge.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote

introduction, newbie