Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #15

Gentleman, to the many replies...I thank you. For those who private messaged me...thank you.

Some of you have made my day, some made me cry. I think there are a few of you, who fully understand my emotions of, "why not now?"

I do want to clarify, and tell you what I have been doing. I have been looking at several RV dealers in the DFW area. I have looked at Tiffin, Winnie, Monaco, Entegra, Foretravel, Thor, Etc.

I have been really impressed with the Entegra coach. I don't like the Jayco thing, but I do not know how well that name is represented in the industry. We loved the bathroom with the big shower.

We have not driven any, nor even slept in one. We will be renting one to try out sometime soon.

I am not much of a woods(y) guy anymore. I gave up camping when I needed a CPAP to sleep great. I thought why have I been doing this tent thing, with mosquitos, no showers, etc?

I became a girl, more or less. Our thoughts are, it is a way for us to get out of the house and go. Go to the hill country, see family in Oklahoma, see the daughter at Texas A&M. We just got back from Austin on a 3 day trip where the hotel bill from the Omni was $1,350.00. Thus my reasoning, with no house payment....we might be able to afford this if we like the life style.

To those asking here are a few more highlights:
-90% of the time it will be Wet Camping
-80% done non mountains in Texas and surrounding states
-I do love Colorado and especially Jackson Hole, Wy. We will be going there once a year.
-We will have a toad, most likely a jeep grand Cherokee.
- We will have other family, nieces and nephews with us on the bus. So seating is important as is a half bath.

I found a 2015 Entegra Cornerstone, which I just love. It MSRP at $479,000 and they had it on sale at $309K at the local dealer. I might be able to afford that, but I will not do it. Used is the route we are going based on your advice.

I just have a very hard time with understanding used pricing. I look on line at 2013 Cornerstones and they are $485K here, $450k there. I am like, wait a minute....I am in outside sales of capital equipment....but this is BS.

I went and looked at a used Entegra yesterday, and the guy told me...the new coach sold for $300k, but this one was $239K and no room to haggle. I laughed.

How do you price these things, as what I am finding is laughable.

Again, sorry for the long read. I truly appreciate your time and efforts for me and my family.

Blessed and Safe travels...

-Chuck
Coj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coj79 View Post
I wonder what the elder statesman say, as we want to go while we have our health and can. I do not know any RV'ers and wished I could go grab a cup of coffee with a fella that has a few years and miles under his belt!
Hi and welcome Chuck!

In my very humble opinion....

I think your used decision is good as very few people are likely to be entirely happy with their first RV. One generally learns a tremendous amount about what they like and don't like, want and don't want - from experience. Given that experience, some learn that they hate the lifestyle and sell the RV. Others trade it for one that is closer to their ideal. So.... my suggestion is to buy something used, affordable, with good resale value and give it a whirl for a while. I would spend very little time/money on this rig (like remodeling) - I would just learn from it.

Now, if money is no object, buying a new, high-end coach is a pretty swell thing. If, after a couple months, you decide you don't like it, I would like to call dibs on buying it from you for 25 cents on the dollar to get it out of your way!

Afraid I can't help on used pricing, it is a crazy thing. I generally use the NADA value as the only "useful" information. Of course, even that is difficult as there are so many variables (equipment/condition). Remember to consider the location (state) and taxes prior to purchase - a mistake there can be quite expensive.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newbie - Looking for SAGE Advice

You found a new cornerstone for 309000.00? You better run, not walk and snap that thing up. They list for almost 700k. Sounds super cheap. Even though the 16s are out I can't see them discounting them that much. I figured I could buy one around 525k. At 309k I'm on a plane in the morning.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Coj79

It sounds like we could be twin brothers. I do not believe in debt. I have been fortunate and was able to retire at 55, mostly in part because my wife and I have lived well below our means and seldom do anything extravagant.

That is why we bought a used DP. We bought our current coach at the downturn in the economy. In 2008 we bought a 2002 Monaco Windsor and paid $67K for it, probably less then 1/2 what it was worth. It was a repo but in excellent shape with relatively low miles. It had been taken care of.

My SAGE advice is to continue to look for a coach you really like. Since this is your first coach I would suggest looking at a wide variety of manufacturers, models etc. Keep a list, when you look at one do some research on it, mostly looking for problems. As you learn more about the Pro's and Con's of each brand/model of coach you can narrow down your search.

At this point in time you can buy a very nice 2004-2006 Monaco Dynasty for ~$100k give or take. Spend a little more and you can get a Signature. In those years these coaches were top of the line. If I could find another deal as I did with our current coach I'd snap it up BUT since I am a realist and frugal I will get by with what I have and be happy about it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Get out there! Do it now!

But, the list of modifications you list may take years - it's quite a list and may actually substantially reduce the value of the coach while costing $1000's.

Our bus was used when we bought it. We found one that met our needs and had depreciated just about as much as it was going to. Maintenance may be a bit more on a used coach espcially any maintenance that was "deferred" by a PO.

I would do it all over again. I almost bought a 5ver. It may have been a better choice if we ever plan to go somewhere and park for a few weeks. But we don't stay in any one place too long, so the ease of moving was our deciding factor.

And after all is said and done, the build quality of the then "top of line" Newmar is quite good. Some of the systems were obsolete. We replaced some and live without the others. Some items simply wear out. However, I truly believe the Cummins ISM, the Allison HD 4060 and the Spartan K2 will last a million miles. And I paid far less than the numbers you have quoted for other coaches.

The big old busses, like mine, have big bathrooms and a wonderful shower. It is designed for slepping two. It has a snazzy futon like couch on which I simply don't fit, but that is about to be replaced with two recliners. It's all about what you want.

I'd guess there are thousands of used RV's available right now. Cash is a fantastic bargaining tool. If the seller wants too much, there is probably another one in next state over that may accept your offer.

I really enjoy the lifestyle and hope you will too.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie