Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Newbie - Looking for SAGE Advice

First, thanks for reading. I am looking for some consultative comments/ideas on how to head down the road with my family in mind, including the financial impacts and ramifications.

First, let me tell you about us:

I am Chuck, 37 Male...Better half is 38
18 yr old daughter- leaving for college in two weeks
In Texas
House paid for
Full Rv hook ups at home with ability to store unit
tired of hotel bills
Ability for lots of Thursday night get out of town trips coming up!

Looking at Class A Diesel. I'm a big guy, 6'4"....need big bath room. I found them in the new stuff at 300K! Do not want to afford a $2k a month payment, plus insurance. I am a zero debt guy. Pay for it and use it....but you only live once and I like these new coaches, a lot! Love the new upgrades...but the price tag will kill you!

Or, go used.. 2002 Monaco Diplomat. 38ft Diesel. Buy it, redo bathroom, roof, AC'sd, switch to electric, etc...Plus all the extras.

I wonder what the elder statesman say, as we want to go while we have our health and can. I do not know any RV'ers and wished I could go grab a cup of coffee with a fella that has a few years and miles under his belt!

Thanks in advance-
Chuck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We went the used route.
Just remember, there is no right answer.
There are bunches of used rv's sold everyday.
There are also bunches of new rv's sold everyday.
And everyone of those made sense to that person.
It is what ends up making the most sense to you.
We bought a 2001 Windsor that we love. The main reason we bought used was we just didn't really know if we would use and enjoy a 40' dp. And IF we didn't I didn't want to take a big hit on depreciation.
I can now also see a new dp in our future, knowing we would use it, what features we like and most importantly, what we dont want. (We like windows and kitchen on drivers side).

It seems easier to have a used one, then go new, then to go new, then back to used.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

I have no interest in a new unit unless I plan to use the heck out of it and it's warranty. Otherwise, it's just bragging rights for the first few months you own it/then it's a used unit just like the rest of us have.

My Mom drives a new Venza, and disses my wife for having an expensive Lexus SUV. while not knowing that the Lexus is 4 years old and cost us about half of what Mom's new unit cost.

To the OP.... you are either a new car buyer for status, or a used car buyer for value. Same with motor homes/ even more so.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Or someone can buy something new because that's what they want. New.
Not for status, not to brag about, (who would you brag too anyway?), but because they want it built, just the way they want it.
It is possible.
Where do you people come from, who think they have everyone else figured out?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

You might consider a bath and a half DP. Lots of room in the back full bath. They start at about 40 feet without a Tag axial and go up. There are some really clean units out their so I wouldn't be concerned with used. We fill in love with the layout of the Fleetwood Revolution but there are some awesome units that will fit your needs and budget. Go for it.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck.... Welcome, and good luck!!

I think you'll find the DP better built, stronger, and more stable. I suppose I may be something like you, in that we decided on the type and model of MH that we would buy, knew what we would afford and pay cash for, and then adjusted our target age to match those factors. Frankly, I don't think I would have bought new even in different circumstances. The bottom line is that if you start out by targeting high quality, then age becomes far less important. Quality lasts.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If this is your first experience with an RV, used would make the most sense. If you decide it's not for you, the financial penalty is much less.
If you buy a used unit in good shape with all maintenance up to date, you can just go out and start using it. If you buy a new you are risking several trips back to dealership to get everything squared away.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

I also recommend buying a used MH-BUT, buy a top-of-the-line from mfgrs like Tiffin, Monaco, Winnebago, etc. I really like Foretravel but a used 2003 will run $300k and up. You get highest quality at a lower price if you do the homework/research correctly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My next will be a used Foretravel. Foretravel of Texas is the place to buy.
http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Fore...U320-110341562
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

FWIW I would not plan on redoing the bathroom in a motor home. Making more space there means you have to take space from somewhere else. Often there is no else to take it from reasonably. You also do not have good access to the plumbing if you want to move anything. There are layouts with more room and less room. I would work at getting one with more room to begin with.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #11

Just my own two cents Chuck......stay with a manufacture that is still in business. Even though many components are the same in most all motorhomes there is plenty that is manufacturer specific. Good Luck. The fun is in the hunt !!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #12

If you can give us an idea of what your price range is, total including any improvements, there are a lot of people here who can chip in and give you an idea of what is out there. Anything else you can would be helpful. Some items might be:

Want to camp year round, in snow, or only in summer.
Want to be able to host another couple with your on your trips, or your daughter.
Do you like outside cooking?
Dry camping, or only wet camping (full hookups)
You want to be able to tow a massive tow vehicle, or a smart car

You get the idea, any more info you can give you, the better we can suggest possible options. Lots of good info and great people here on the forum, Enjoy!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #13

Also helpful, if you have a local campground, go there on a nice day, walk around, and if you see a coach that interests you and the owners are available, go and talk to them. Be polite, and don't bother them, but I think you'll find that most people are more than willing to talk about their coaches, sometimes too much! Find out what they like, what they don't like, etc.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired in 1999 at 51, DW couldn't retire yet so I went back to work doing IT contract work. That died out so I went looking for work while I collected unemployment. Found a min. wage job (which I still have).
Then in Aug. 2008 the DW put in her retirement papers, that same week her daughter died, leaving two grandkids to raise. She was able to pull her retirement papers back and kept working.
Then her health went bad and she went on Family Leave, that ran out so she went on short term disability, then that ran out and she went on long term disability and started drawing her SSI benefits.
In the meantime the oldest grandson left.
After two years of no re-occurrence of the blood vomiting we thought she was getting better (13 times in the ER and 2 more for simple surgery over two years). So we traded in the '02 Dutch Star and bought the Magna in Feb. Then the engine blew up and cost us $22,000 more only 2,600 miles later.
A few days before April 30th we got a letter saying they were terminating her and we lost all medical insurance so we grabbed COBRA at $1432 a month. On May 1 she went in and they found liver cancer. Just had her first chemo treatment last Friday.
So, the gist of all that is GET OUT AND DO IT WHILE YOU CAN!! You never know what is going to happen to you or your loved ones!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie