Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Three TT's and now the third MH I've used the moly plugs and the correct size screw on every unit we've owned. Very simple they do work and work well. No you can't hang a lot of weight from them but they are pulling at a right angle to the wood which is about 3/16" thick and they will work for the usual items you would hang from a towel rack etc.

Something I have always done when using the plastic molly plug in a MH or in the house (dry wall). Before inserting it into the hole drilled in the wall Simply coat it with some 5-minute epoxy. Don't use a big gob of it but a small coating will keep everything in place much better than just the wood screw.

One more point. When drilling the hole for the molly make it just large enough so when you insert it into the hole it will go in about 1/2 way up the molly or maybe a little more. I usually have to lightly hammer the molly the final distance. If it is to tight and going into wood you'll have a difficult time hammering it into the hole. When you thread the screw in it will expand the molly which is what holds it into place.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Three TT's and now the third MH I've used the moly plugs and the correct size screw on every unit we've owned. Very simple they do work and work well. No you can't hang a lot of weight from them but they are pulling at a right angle to the wood which is about 3/16" thick and they will work for the usual items you would hang from a towel rack etc.

Something I have always done when using the plastic molly plug in a MH or in the house (dry wall). Before inserting it into the hole drilled in the wall Simply coat it with some 5-minute epoxy. Don't use a big gob of it but a small coating will keep everything in place much better than just the wood screw.

One more point. When drilling the hole for the molly make it just large enough so when you insert it into the hole it will go in about 1/2 way up the molly or maybe a little more. I usually have to lightly hammer the molly the final distance. If it is to tight and going into wood you'll have a difficult time hammering it into the hole. When you thread the screw in it will expand the molly which is what holds it into place.

TeJay
Thanks
azkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Hanging things on an R.V. Wall.

If I were you I would check with Camping World if anyone knows anything about hanging things on an R.V. wall they would be the ones to ask.
Give them a call and they will send you a cataloged the number is 1-800-626-5944.
or visit any R.V. Store.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

In our newest toy hauler I wanted all the ladders hung in the wall in the rear and tried using just screws to hold the brackets but after the first trip they all stripped from the wall. So I took some solid maple and planed it down to the thickness I wanted and cut them a little bigger then needed and used construction adhesive to hold them to the wall and used a screw long enough to go through the bracket maple and paneling. They have been up for a year now with no problems.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

TeJay
I'm afraid that you are confusing people. There are many types of plastic inserts, so I don't know which one you are referring to. However, whichever they are, they are not Mollys.

The Molly is a (formerly) trade marked fastener, made from steel, with 4 "arms that mushroom and grab the wall. They are used with a removable machine screw. See Molly (fastener) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and Molly Bolts | How to Choose the Right Hanging Hardware | This Old House.

There are also some generic fasteners that look just like mollys, and are frequently referred to as mollys.
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:03 AM   #20

Another name for them is butterfly bolts.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:11 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry for any confusion on my part. I didn't want to use the term my Dad always used to describe the little round tapered plastic screw with a small head on it, which when a sheet metal type screw is screw into it will spread out the tapered part of the fastener. Dad called them, "Molly screws" and is usual comment then was, Oh, She does?" So I just called them Molly's. The world has changed since I was a young kid and the name has been used to name another type of wall fastener.

But I did say they were PLASTIC fasteners.

TeJay
Old 04-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.wilsons View Post
Another name for them is butterfly bolts.
NO! Those are TOGGLE BOLTS. Like mollys, they are steel, and they also use a machine screw. Unlike with mollys, the screw is not removable and replaceable. Take the screw out, and the toggle falls into the wall, lost forever.

Also, the toggle bolt needs a much bigger hole, that does not get completely filled. as a concequwnce, toggle bolts are not precisely located, while mollys are.

It is difficult to discuss anything when we use one name to stand for several different devices.

Joel
Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #23

Visit a true mom and pop hardware store and not the big box stores.

The mom and pop places are usually staffed by the owner or retired friend of owner and usually have a greater skill set than the folks at the large chains.

They can show you the wide variety of fastening systems available as well as providing advise for proper use.

Lots of great folks here with good help but without knowing exactly what you have you may get great advice that is perfectly wrong.

Molly screws are great for drywall but not so great on thin materials.

Toggle bolts on thin material will work through it due to their leverage.

Adding a cover plate spreads the load.

My suggestion would be to locate a style that has a wood backing that is full width of the item.

That allows spreading the load.

It also allows the possibility of aligning with structure behind.

There are electronic stud sensors that use sound waves to detect where wall studs are located and they work on almost anything and they are reasonabl in cost so think about trying one.

If you can take your vehicle to the store it would be best as they could see exactly what you are trying to do amd could give you their best suggestions.

Provide some photos...
Old 04-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Visit a true mom and pop hardware store and not the big box stores.

The mom and pop places are usually staffed by the owner or retired friend of owner and usually have a greater skill set than the folks at the large chains.

They can show you the wide variety of fastening systems available as well as providing advise for proper use.

Lots of great folks here with good help but without knowing exactly what you have you may get great advice that is perfectly wrong.

Molly screws are great for drywall but not so great on thin materials.

Toggle bolts on thin material will work through it due to their leverage.

Adding a cover plate spreads the load.

My suggestion would be to locate a style that has a wood backing that is full width of the item.

That allows spreading the load.

It also allows the possibility of aligning with structure behind.

There are electronic stud sensors that use sound waves to detect where wall studs are located and they work on almost anything and they are reasonabl in cost so think about trying one.

If you can take your vehicle to the store it would be best as they could see exactly what you are trying to do amd could give you their best suggestions.

Provide some photos...
You are correct in that the original mollys were best suited for drywall. However, there are noy short mollys that are the best thing going for thin walls such as those in RVs. They are also excellent for use on hollow doors. I have some rather heavy, full length mirrors that I mounted on doors with mollys about 20 years ago, that are still holding well.

Joel
Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #25

Girl here doing my own handyman type fixes: I bought industrial Velcro, cut to fit any project. Presto no screws needed. Plus most of the pictures and décor in my RV are factory hung with double sticky tape. Not sure I would use my method for a wet thick beach towel, I only use thin towels that dry easily.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
Girl here doing my own handyman type fixes: I bought industrial Velcro, cut to fit any project. Presto no screws needed. Plus most of the pictures and décor in my RV are factory hung with double sticky tape. Not sure I would use my method for a wet thick beach towel, I only use thin towels that dry easily.
I tried command velcro on my old TT but that didn't stand up to the AZ heat. Maybe industrial strength velcro that has a stickier backing than the command strips.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for the advice. You have given me a lot of new information that will help guide my research.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Two words: Pop rivets. They come in handy for LOTS of things on an RV. Look 'em up, you'll know exactly what I mean the instant you see them.

Have fun!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags