Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Newbie question

This is a newbie and a girl question, so forgive my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to handyman type work. If I want to hang something on the wall like a towel rack, can I screw into the RV walls? Do I need the drywall type thingies?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

That's a good question. These walls are a lot thinner that the walls in your home so no, yo can not use a drywall screw. If there is an existing towel rack, you can reuse what is there with your new towel rack. There is a metal type hanger system that you can place in the wall covers more area when tightened. Or find the framing in the walls (it will be hard). Be careful when making holes so you cause damage to wires or lines in the walls.

Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I was looking to install an additional towel rack and some hooks in my new MH. I have seen (on Pinterest) where people add towel racks and hooks and wondered how they installed them. I previously had a TT and tried to use command velcro strips and hooks but living in AZ, I think the heat affected them because none of them stayed on the walls.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:12 AM   #4

I ask my wife and she said she uses 3m hooks with double back tap. There the ones that are removable by pulling a little strip out of the bottom. She then uses museum wax on the corners to hold then straight and stop rattling. It works and she's hanging and moving stuff all the time.
Rod
Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The doors may be the safest place to hang a rack on that needs screws.
Good question! I need to hang a few pics and wondered also about the walls. I think I will go with the command tape for that. Good luck.
Linda
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 AM   #6

I have found that molly bolts are the best way to fasten things to the thin walls in RVs. See Molly Bolts | How to Choose the Right Hanging Hardware | This Old House . You can find them in any hardware store.

They come in different diameters to hold more or less weight, and in different lengths for thin to thick walls. For something like towel racks, you will want #6, short. If you need help. somebody in the store will explain how to install them.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

you can use just the usual old wood screws. They work fine
Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

Use removable hangers whenever possible, I walked away from a nice used motorhome because the walls looked like someone shot them with a shotgun. But when your putting up permanent fixtures you can use wood screws but be careful if you have pocket doors that slide into the wall a screw that's too long will scratch the door or stop it from sliding. 3m makes hangers of different sizes and weight limits that work for pictures etc.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #10

Yes you can use Molly Bolts and Screws. I had to hang the toilet paper dispenser in my RV; Keystone does not install them on my model. So I used the #6 screw Molly Bolt & Screw between 1/8 and 1/4 wall thickness. They work find but don't hang on the device that you fasten to the wall.

Now if you use a drill and driver place a piece of tape on the drill about a 1/4" up from the tip. Do not go past this piece of tape when you drill a hole for the Molly Bolts and Screw fasteners. This way you will insure you do not punch a hole thru the other side.

Jim W.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I never heard of a molly bolt but after clicking on the link, I think I have seen one once. Thanks for all of the ideas. I think I will try some over the door ones for now.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #12

Just make sure there is not a pocket door on the other side like i did. OOPS
Old 04-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #13

OR----You might consider cutting a board, say a 3/4" x 3/12" (used to, in the old days be a 1 x 4" ) trim it, sand it, paint it (except the back, then glue the board to the wall using construction adhesive, put some screws in the corners (not too long) then put your towel rack on the 3/4" x 3-1/2" aka 1 x 4" . You got to make SURE that it is where you want it!

Waa Laa
Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
OR----You might consider cutting a board, say a 3/4" x 3/12" (used to, in the old days be a 1 x 4" ) trim it, sand it, paint it (except the back, then glue the board to the wall using construction adhesive, put some screws in the corners (not too long) then put your towel rack on the 3/4" x 3-1/2" aka 1 x 4" . You got to make SURE that it is where you want it!

Waa Laa
Good idea!

Tags