Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #15

Yep, some CG owners just love to stick those Boulders, some the size of a VW Bug, right where they shouldn't be. Also the ones that love to plant those nice new Trees on either side of the site, making it almost impossible to pull out if someone is on the site across from you.
Just take it slow and easy and keep a lookout for those boulders that move and hit your RV or TV.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #16

You did all the right things. Good for you! Yes, the boulders and the sawed-off upright RR ties lining a site are a pain but having volunteered in national and state parks we know the reason for them. If folks park wherever they want the site becomes a dirt mess.

As a reminder, the driver should never move if he can't see the spotter.

Hang in there..

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #17

Exclamation Boulder? What Boulder

Yes! One must be very careful when in any campground with those ridiculous boulders required to keep the idiots from parking or driving where they don't belong.

This is what happens when you fight with a boulder. You LOSE
Only $12K charge for losing concentration!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140923_153501 (1024x576).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	78636   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140923_153653 (1024x576).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	78637  

STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #18

In ten seasons of RVing and 3 with our fifth wheel, we still manage to produce a learning situation now and then. This season I disconnected the fiver and pulled away with the umbilical cord still connected, and another time with the tail gate still up. Our last trip two weeks ago, I realized 1/4 mile from the house that I hadn't unplugged the extension cord to our garage, had to stop and put the 30 amp cord into the mouse hole and retrieved the adapter puck where it had stuck in the back bumper of the fiver. None of it cost me money, but each one made me feel stupid.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
In ten seasons of RVing and 3 with our fifth wheel, we still manage to produce a learning situation now and then. This season I disconnected the fiver and pulled away with the umbilical cord still connected, and another time with the tail gate still up. Our last trip two weeks ago, I realized 1/4 mile from the house that I hadn't unplugged the extension cord to our garage, had to stop and put the 30 amp cord into the mouse hole and retrieved the adapter puck where it had stuck in the back bumper of the fiver. None of it cost me money, but each one made me feel stupid.
SkiSmuggs
As Forrest's Mama always said, "RVing is like a box of Chocolates.....you
often you get somthin' nobody wants
".....(or something like that)??
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #20
M2D

So sorry, our sympathies, that boulder damage is jut awful!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority here. I have seen way too many people who have a very difficult time parking their RV, no matter the type. Take your RV to a large parking lot and learn how to park it!

These are large vehicles folks. You have to know how to drive and park them. Learn how the rear tires of the RV tracks differently than the front tires. They will track in a tighter turning radius than the front tires.

Leaving daylight savings time behind is not a new concept. Yes, during the fall and winter, it gets dark earlier. Plan accordingly.

The only time my coach or toad were hit, they were properly parked on my site and a new neighbor "forgot" that the rear tracks inside the front. He gouged his cabinet door on my towbar. Fortunately it did no damage to my towbar or toad.

Like I said, perhaps I'm in the minority, or just voicing something that many others are thinking. Learn and practice how to drive and park. Plan ahead. I rather enjoy a scenic park with trees and yes, boulders arranged in a pleasing manor. These trees and boulders have most likely been there a long time.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority here. I have seen way too many people who have a very difficult time parking their RV, no matter the type. Take your RV to a large parking lot and learn how to park it!

These are large vehicles folks. You have to know how to drive and park them. Learn how the rear tires of the RV tracks differently than the front tires. They will track in a tighter turning radius than the front tires.

Leaving daylight savings time behind is not a new concept. Yes, during the fall and winter, it gets dark earlier. Plan accordingly.

The only time my coach or toad were hit, they were properly parked on my site and a new neighbor "forgot" that the rear tracks inside the front. He gouged his cabinet door on my towbar. Fortunately it did no damage to my towbar or toad.

Like I said, perhaps I'm in the minority, or just voicing something that many others are thinking. Learn and practice how to drive and park. Plan ahead. I rather enjoy a scenic park with trees and yes, boulders arranged in a pleasing manor. These trees and boulders have most likely been there a long time.
Well said, 100% with you. I started watching dad as a kid every time we went to the lake (day outings) Hooking the boat up launching the boat and @ the end of the getting the boat back on the trailer then parking when we got home usually after dark. I learned a lot from dad.
I drove a 5 ton tackle with 5,000 Tanker (usually Jet fuel) in Germany for a couple years.
Then I drove a 18 wheeler for a couple years with a 45 ft trailer. Lots of experience.
I would do like the OP say's practice in a empty parking lot using plastic cones they don't do damage.(lol)
Don't let others comments get to you. Take your time. We have all been there.
I kind of like the boulders they look kind a cool.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #23

I'm not a fan of large rocks or other man-placed obstructions close to the edge of narrow roads.

We were at Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora, CO, a couple of weeks ago when an older gentleman drove his car over one of the boulders placed at the edge of a narrow road. He was driving out of the campground at sunset and the sun blinded him. He drifted just a few inches to right and before he could stop, his car was on top of a large rock and in danger of rolling on its side. The guy was going less than 10mph when the wreck happened.

It took a bit of work for the wrecker to lift the car due to placement of other large rocks/boulders. Two of us managed to roll the rock out of the way when the wrecker lifted his car. Fortunately, the car was still driveable, but I'd guess the damaged sheet-metal and plastic will cost a couple thousand to repair.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
IC2

Ahhhhhh Campgrounds and their layouts

This year we went from a 5er that while 5 feet shorter overall drove like a shorter one due to placement of the non extended hitch box. The new one has the hitch box in the same plane as the tip of the nose - and with that, 34 feet are now behind the truck instead of 26. I've found in CG's what used to be an easy path, now have obstacles due to where the wheels are now located and a LOT longer turning radius. Our favorite CG has a stump that I never used to notice - now it's 'exciting' to make the turn. Then our 'seasonal site' oh my, it's real tight now getting in and out (yes, we do pull out regularly and use this if we don't want to travel) and there is a tree that put a minor scuff on our new paint.

What I'm trying to say is be vigilant. There's a lot of length that doesn't turn in the same radius as your TV and it's not your TV's 7' tall, but 13+/-
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #25
M2D

I appreciate the brave poster who showed us the damage to their rig. It takes a big person to admit that a moment's loss of concentration lead to woe.

I mentioned in my initial post that DH is a good driver. he has driven boat trailers, utility trailers and can place a boat where ever he wants it in some pretty rough conditions. He has also been responsible for moving very large ships in the course of his career.

The former owner suggested that we read the CDL manual for advice that would serve us well in driving our 35 ft fiver with our one ton crew cab truck.
We also read advice online about towing our fiver. A professional trucker mention the GOAL principle. It stands for "Get Out and Look".

We did all that and we also have walkie talkies. It is a good idea as a previous poster suggested to not rush yourself. Get out and plan your approach if you have a concern about some object. We were successful in negotiating the tricky turn and managed to miss the boulder by a small distance.

Still, it can be human nature to be weirdly "drawn" towards an object that is worrying you.

In the future we will do as a previous poster suggested and walk to our site first to see if we have any concerns about the approach and location.

M2D
Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Great Story! You will have many more. The best stories end with being unscathed.

Congratulations on your adventurous spirit-there are lots of men(&women) that wish their spouses had your spunk.

Carry on with your adventure-have a ball!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #27

One advantage of motorhomes - FOUR powerful wide beam docking lights.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post

We understand that campground owners do not want people driving all over their grass. Still, the roads are pretty narrow and it was quite a trick to back ourselves out of the dead end road. I know that I am to stand on the driver's side of the fiver so that I can see DH and he can see me. The huge boulder was on the other side of the fiver/truck combo so I had to sort of dash back and forth to help him to miss it as he turned the truck/trailer. I know that I am not supposed to pass behind the trailer to where he cannot see me. He had to pass very close to the boulder with his truck on the passenger side as he turned the fiver.

Is it usual in campgrounds to have so many boulders lining the roadways?
In a way we have already had our first worst moment so I guess that it will only get better from here. We brought head lamp flashlights that helped with the hooking up of the utilities. I understand that large lights are not welcome so as not to disturb other campers.

M2D
I think you did just fine. In answering your question, I do not think it is unusual for campgrounds to place rocks or timber along the roadway for the reasons given many times, to keep dummies from driving where they are not supposed to. However, it is very difficult for people with large rigs to even get backed into a spot when there are obstacles 6 inches from the roadway. Personally I feel the people who place these obstacles need to stand back and take a look at what they are doing. I have watched my brother backing his 35 foot trailer into a spot and take out a wooden post because it was not possible to avoid doing so. And they have these wooden posts every 6 feet, whoever got that contract to place them probably priced it by units.

Tags
campground, newbie