Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
M2D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 184
Newbie Question About Campground Boulders

We made our first trip in our new to us fifth wheel this last week.
We are very happy with our 2010 NuWa 32.5 FKSBG.


Our question is about the very large rocks/boulder lining the roadways of the campground. My DH is a great driver and very good at backing up. Still we ended up arriving after dark and mistakenly went down a road we had to back out of to make the turn to our assigned site. We had to walk around with a flashlight to find the numbers marking the sites. The owners left an envelope for us with a map. site number and entry gate card.

We understand that campground owners do not want people driving all over their grass. Still, the roads are pretty narrow and it was quite a trick to back ourselves out of the dead end road. I know that I am to stand on the driver's side of the fiver so that I can see DH and he can see me. The huge boulder was on the other side of the fiver/truck combo so I had to sort of dash back and forth to help him to miss it as he turned the truck/trailer. I know that I am not supposed to pass behind the trailer to where he cannot see me. He had to pass very close to the boulder with his truck on the passenger side as he turned the fiver.

Is it usual in campgrounds to have so many boulders lining the roadways?
In a way we have already had our first worst moment so I guess that it will only get better from here. We brought head lamp flashlights that helped with the hooking up of the utilities. I understand that large lights are not welcome so as not to disturb other campers.

It was not our plan to arrive after dark and we will strive to never do so in the future. Even with a map it was difficult to navigate the park roads in the pitch black. There were mostly seasonal empty trailers there and only maybe two occupied MHs all closed up for the evening so I could not really enlist the aid of other experienced campers. We were also being careful not to back into the pine trees lining the roadway.
Otherwise all went very well with our stay due to all the great advice we have been given here on this site.

M2D
__________________

__________________
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
we ended up arriving after dark and mistakenly went down a road we had to back out of to make the turn to our assigned site. We had to walk around with a flashlight to find the numbers marking the sites. The owners left an envelope for us with a map. site number and entry gate card.
M2D
M2D
Sorry to sound unsympathetic, but IMO anyone who first arrives in a campground "after dark" is asking for trouble.
If I can't "make it before dark" we dry camp, (at a Walmart or in a rest area), until morning.
Mel
'96 Safari, 134k miles
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
M2D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 184
Oh, I agree. It is just that it is dark in the northeast now at 5:00. We arrived at about 5:45.

Let us say that it was not MY plan to arrive after dark.

M2D
__________________
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Farmer Steve's Avatar
 
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 337
Your fine. We have arrived after dark several times and we have always had a golf cart employee show us our spot. I would ask next time if there will be a person available to help or should I find another campground. Competion is a good thing.
__________________
14 Newmar Ventana LE 3845, eze-tow, bunch-a-tractors
Farmer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
dlovitt's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,782
One of my pet peeves. CG owner would rather have you tear up your rig than repair an occasional rut in grass. If I find, never will go back to that CG.
__________________
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369, Spartan K2 Chassis,
Cummins ISL 450HP, Allison 3000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Your fine. We have arrived after dark several times and we have always had a golf cart employee show us our spot. I would ask next time if there will be a person available to help or should I find another campground. Competition is a good thing.
Farmer Steve
It is apparent that you stay in "higher class" campgrounds than we do!
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
M2D,

Sometimes even in daylight we will walk to the site just to check it out. It has helped us more than once. Park maps or directions can be more than a little confusing. Have also found another rig in "our" site, not good!
__________________
2005 Mandalay 40B, Cat 350 C7, Freightliner Chassis. 2014 GMC Terrain, toad w/ Blue Ox Base Plate and Aventa tow bar. Full-Timers
sleggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,278
"M2D".....Private parks usually don't have too many rocks to dodge, but National Parks love to use them. It keeps the knuckleheads from driving where they shouldn't.

No one can really control when you arrive at a park. Yes, some retirees like to be off the road by 2:00pm or 3:00pm, but that's not always doable, especially if you're still working or have no alternative campgrounds between home and your destination.

I think you learned from this experience and I doubt you'll commit the same error again.
__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
vanbuskirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 469
We like to get out as often as possible on weekends and being that we both work we typically do not leave the house prior to 5 pm thus many times we are setting up on the dark. I guess that we are just lucky because majority of the time someone will lead us to our spot and in some cases assist in the positioning of the MH. However if you arrive after office hours you will have to fend for yourself... Of which I agree is sometimes a challenge.
__________________
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Smile

MD2

It`s part of the learning curb, this is not the last mistake you will make. Please don`t take to heart, the negative comments. Some folks don`t understand the word empathy or they have forgotten that they were rookies once also.
Safe and happy travels in the future.

Art
__________________
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mccsix's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 667
Walk to the site first. Just like questionable gas station exits walk it first.
__________________
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
We made our first trip in our new to us fifth wheel this last week.
We are very happy with our 2010 NuWa 32.5 FKSBG.


Our question is about the very large rocks/boulder lining the roadways of the campground. My DH is a great driver and very good at backing up. Still we ended up arriving after dark and mistakenly went down a road we had to back out of to make the turn to our assigned site. We had to walk around with a flashlight to find the numbers marking the sites. The owners left an envelope for us with a map. site number and entry gate card.

We understand that campground owners do not want people driving all over their grass. Still, the roads are pretty narrow and it was quite a trick to back ourselves out of the dead end road. I know that I am to stand on the driver's side of the fiver so that I can see DH and he can see me. The huge boulder was on the other side of the fiver/truck combo so I had to sort of dash back and forth to help him to miss it as he turned the truck/trailer. I know that I am not supposed to pass behind the trailer to where he cannot see me. He had to pass very close to the boulder with his truck on the passenger side as he turned the fiver.

Is it usual in campgrounds to have so many boulders lining the roadways?
In a way we have already had our first worst moment so I guess that it will only get better from here. We brought head lamp flashlights that helped with the hooking up of the utilities. I understand that large lights are not welcome so as not to disturb other campers.

It was not our plan to arrive after dark and we will strive to never do so in the future. Even with a map it was difficult to navigate the park roads in the pitch black. There were mostly seasonal empty trailers there and only maybe two occupied MHs all closed up for the evening so I could not really enlist the aid of other experienced campers. We were also being careful not to back into the pine trees lining the roadway.
Otherwise all went very well with our stay due to all the great advice we have been given here on this site.

M2D
M2






M2D.....Welcome to the great RVing lifestyle (and it really is a great lifestyle, despite your first bad experience). I hope you won't be discouraged by that or by the negative responses from some folks. As Art said, they tend to forget that they were once new at this. Nobody was born knowing the ins and outs of RVing.

There is a learning curve and you're bound to make more mistakes. We all do, no matter how long we've been doing this (since 1993 in our case, although we've always had towables before; this is our first MH, so it's a whole new game for us and probably lots of uh-ohs in our future). And BTW.....I think it's really dumb to put large boulders in a campground.

Hang in there, and best of luck to you.
__________________
Art, the Canadian and Bev, the Texan
Heidi, the spoiled 14-year-old tortie
BevRedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,123
M2D - all I would like to say is well done. It appears you encountered a less than ideal situation and through care were able to overcome the problem.

It will not happen often and when it does you will know that you can cope.

It is great to hear stories where there is a positive outcome. It seems the both of you addressed the problem and remained on task to get out without damage. As you use the unit more often you will become more accomplished.

One thing to watch for when backing up in the dark is to also look up to make sure you are not backing the unit into tree branches. It is all too easy to get focused on the rocks and forget the branches. Poking a hole in the roof is just as frustrating as scraping on a rock.

The spotter is the important element of the team.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sedona, AZ
Posts: 709
Two words - walkie talkies! They are very useful in many situations. Otherwise, you can use cell phone if you have reception.

Don't worry about arriving after dark. We do it all the time. Everyone's situation is different. Some have to work into the evening, others are vampires. Whatever your reason, don't worry about being judged by others.

BTW, there is something that makes us feel stupid every time we camp. EVERY TIME! Don't worry about it. Sounds like you did a great job.
__________________

__________________
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campground, newbie



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 ACE 29.2 Newbie with question JhnsnDavid Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 4 11-02-2014 08:18 AM
Ride height question from newbie MonCay Monaco Owner's Forum 27 07-24-2014 10:07 AM
The silliest newbie question matterhorn RV Systems & Appliances 7 07-12-2014 11:30 AM
Newbie Fresh Water Question on "New" RV Bob55 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 10 06-09-2014 09:35 PM
Newbie with another question Miamicamper Class C Motorhome Discussions 8 05-22-2014 01:03 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.