Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
M2D

Newbie Question About Campground Boulders

We made our first trip in our new to us fifth wheel this last week.
We are very happy with our 2010 NuWa 32.5 FKSBG.

Our question is about the very large rocks/boulder lining the roadways of the campground. My DH is a great driver and very good at backing up. Still we ended up arriving after dark and mistakenly went down a road we had to back out of to make the turn to our assigned site. We had to walk around with a flashlight to find the numbers marking the sites. The owners left an envelope for us with a map. site number and entry gate card.

We understand that campground owners do not want people driving all over their grass. Still, the roads are pretty narrow and it was quite a trick to back ourselves out of the dead end road. I know that I am to stand on the driver's side of the fiver so that I can see DH and he can see me. The huge boulder was on the other side of the fiver/truck combo so I had to sort of dash back and forth to help him to miss it as he turned the truck/trailer. I know that I am not supposed to pass behind the trailer to where he cannot see me. He had to pass very close to the boulder with his truck on the passenger side as he turned the fiver.

Is it usual in campgrounds to have so many boulders lining the roadways?
In a way we have already had our first worst moment so I guess that it will only get better from here. We brought head lamp flashlights that helped with the hooking up of the utilities. I understand that large lights are not welcome so as not to disturb other campers.

It was not our plan to arrive after dark and we will strive to never do so in the future. Even with a map it was difficult to navigate the park roads in the pitch black. There were mostly seasonal empty trailers there and only maybe two occupied MHs all closed up for the evening so I could not really enlist the aid of other experienced campers. We were also being careful not to back into the pine trees lining the roadway.
Otherwise all went very well with our stay due to all the great advice we have been given here on this site.

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
we ended up arriving after dark and mistakenly went down a road we had to back out of to make the turn to our assigned site. We had to walk around with a flashlight to find the numbers marking the sites. The owners left an envelope for us with a map. site number and entry gate card.
M2D
M2D
Sorry to sound unsympathetic, but IMO anyone who first arrives in a campground "after dark" is asking for trouble.
If I can't "make it before dark" we dry camp, (at a Walmart or in a rest area), until morning.
Mel
'96 Safari, 134k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
M2D

Oh, I agree. It is just that it is dark in the northeast now at 5:00. We arrived at about 5:45.

Let us say that it was not MY plan to arrive after dark.

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Your fine. We have arrived after dark several times and we have always had a golf cart employee show us our spot. I would ask next time if there will be a person available to help or should I find another campground. Competion is a good thing.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
One of my pet peeves. CG owner would rather have you tear up your rig than repair an occasional rut in grass. If I find, never will go back to that CG.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Your fine. We have arrived after dark several times and we have always had a golf cart employee show us our spot. I would ask next time if there will be a person available to help or should I find another campground. Competition is a good thing.
Farmer Steve
It is apparent that you stay in "higher class" campgrounds than we do!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

M2D,

Sometimes even in daylight we will walk to the site just to check it out. It has helped us more than once. Park maps or directions can be more than a little confusing. Have also found another rig in "our" site, not good!
Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"M2D".....Private parks usually don't have too many rocks to dodge, but National Parks love to use them. It keeps the knuckleheads from driving where they shouldn't.

No one can really control when you arrive at a park. Yes, some retirees like to be off the road by 2:00pm or 3:00pm, but that's not always doable, especially if you're still working or have no alternative campgrounds between home and your destination.

I think you learned from this experience and I doubt you'll commit the same error again.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

We like to get out as often as possible on weekends and being that we both work we typically do not leave the house prior to 5 pm thus many times we are setting up on the dark. I guess that we are just lucky because majority of the time someone will lead us to our spot and in some cases assist in the positioning of the MH. However if you arrive after office hours you will have to fend for yourself... Of which I agree is sometimes a challenge.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

Smile

MD2

It`s part of the learning curb, this is not the last mistake you will make. Please don`t take to heart, the negative comments. Some folks don`t understand the word empathy or they have forgotten that they were rookies once also.
Safe and happy travels in the future.

Art
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Walk to the site first. Just like questionable gas station exits walk it first.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
We made our first trip in our new to us fifth wheel this last week.
We are very happy with our 2010 NuWa 32.5 FKSBG.

Our question is about the very large rocks/boulder lining the roadways of the campground. My DH is a great driver and very good at backing up. Still we ended up arriving after dark and mistakenly went down a road we had to back out of to make the turn to our assigned site. We had to walk around with a flashlight to find the numbers marking the sites. The owners left an envelope for us with a map. site number and entry gate card.

We understand that campground owners do not want people driving all over their grass. Still, the roads are pretty narrow and it was quite a trick to back ourselves out of the dead end road. I know that I am to stand on the driver's side of the fiver so that I can see DH and he can see me. The huge boulder was on the other side of the fiver/truck combo so I had to sort of dash back and forth to help him to miss it as he turned the truck/trailer. I know that I am not supposed to pass behind the trailer to where he cannot see me. He had to pass very close to the boulder with his truck on the passenger side as he turned the fiver.

Is it usual in campgrounds to have so many boulders lining the roadways?
In a way we have already had our first worst moment so I guess that it will only get better from here. We brought head lamp flashlights that helped with the hooking up of the utilities. I understand that large lights are not welcome so as not to disturb other campers.

It was not our plan to arrive after dark and we will strive to never do so in the future. Even with a map it was difficult to navigate the park roads in the pitch black. There were mostly seasonal empty trailers there and only maybe two occupied MHs all closed up for the evening so I could not really enlist the aid of other experienced campers. We were also being careful not to back into the pine trees lining the roadway.
Otherwise all went very well with our stay due to all the great advice we have been given here on this site.

M2D
M2

M2D.....Welcome to the great RVing lifestyle (and it really is a great lifestyle, despite your first bad experience). I hope you won't be discouraged by that or by the negative responses from some folks. As Art said, they tend to forget that they were once new at this. Nobody was born knowing the ins and outs of RVing.

There is a learning curve and you're bound to make more mistakes. We all do, no matter how long we've been doing this (since 1993 in our case, although we've always had towables before; this is our first MH, so it's a whole new game for us and probably lots of uh-ohs in our future). And BTW.....I think it's really dumb to put large boulders in a campground.

Hang in there, and best of luck to you.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
M2D - all I would like to say is well done. It appears you encountered a less than ideal situation and through care were able to overcome the problem.

It will not happen often and when it does you will know that you can cope.

It is great to hear stories where there is a positive outcome. It seems the both of you addressed the problem and remained on task to get out without damage. As you use the unit more often you will become more accomplished.

One thing to watch for when backing up in the dark is to also look up to make sure you are not backing the unit into tree branches. It is all too easy to get focused on the rocks and forget the branches. Poking a hole in the roof is just as frustrating as scraping on a rock.

The spotter is the important element of the team.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #14

Two words - walkie talkies! They are very useful in many situations. Otherwise, you can use cell phone if you have reception.

Don't worry about arriving after dark. We do it all the time. Everyone's situation is different. Some have to work into the evening, others are vampires. Whatever your reason, don't worry about being judged by others.

BTW, there is something that makes us feel stupid every time we camp. EVERY TIME! Don't worry about it. Sounds like you did a great job.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, newbie