Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Black and gray closed till at least 2/3rd full. Empty black first, close valve, empty grey, then rinse. On this site and others, I have seen that a lot are using a product called Pine Power (purchase from General Dollar Stores) to help in cleaning the tanks (especially the black). 2 to 3 cups of Pine Power plus 5 gal or so of water in empty tank, drive to next location, put in more water, empty tanks. Then, use as normal and add some Pine Power. The internal type tank sensors are so hard to keep clean and eventually they may read 1/3rd full when empty!
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #30

OK how many of you have failed to open the Grey tank and found after her washing cloths and other water surprises that the shower stall has filled up with backwash. No way do I leave the grey closed when I'm hooked to the sewer. One time is enough.
Fill it and flush when closing up.
Grey tanks usually don't stop up unless your crapping in the sink. I leave dishes in it to keep her from doing it HA washer will flush the bottom of the tank when it dumps.

And that old wives tale that you flush the grey into the black tank. Look at the rise it would have to go before backing into the black tank. Only thing it will flush is the Y connector on out.

Ramblin's got it right on putting a water seal trap in the drain. Of course if you don't have any leaks in the drain it should vent out the top.

Just don't run the overhead vent fan when flushing.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #31

Think about this. If you leave the Grey tank open when hooked up, how can the sensors possibly get clogged? The crud don't touch it going out.They will if you let it fill and sit in the crud. That's why when you dump it it sometimes reads 25% 0r 33% full.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Think about this. If you leave the Grey tank open when hooked up, how can the sensors possibly get clogged? The crud don't touch it going out.They will if you let it fill and sit in the crud. That's why when you dump it it sometimes reads 25% 0r 33% full.
Hey Perry,

Riddle me this? We're fulltime in our coach for over two years now. The grey tank has been open 99% of that time and the sensors read full. The black tank used normally and dumped when full, not 2/3's or 3/4, reads 1/3 after flushing.

Regards, Hamshog
Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #33

Sounds like you screwed the pooch. Are you moving or set up in only one place?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
OK how many of you have failed to open the Grey tank and found after her washing cloths and other water surprises that the shower stall has filled up with backwash. No way do I leave the grey closed when I'm hooked to the sewer. One time is enough.
XX2 Perry!

I once forgot to open the grey tank after two days of long showers and my neighbor on the next site over at the campsite came running over to let me know that water was running out of my coach (the drivers side, same side as the bathroom and grey tank) and into my basement!!!

(What happend is that the RV was not level, it was low in the front, and the grey tank drained through the bathroom sink vent and the water ran through the entire length of the coach and into the front basement compartments!)

And, this is really funny, I wasn't 3 hours later that the same guy that warned me of my water leak had HIS GREY TANK OVERFLOW too! His DW was doing the dishes when it happened!

So now I leave the grey valve open!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Hog View Post
When at an RV park with full hookups the holding tank's drain line is hooked up too but do you leave the HT valves open or when the tanks get full do you open the valve then close it after the tank empties?
I know this is a very basic question but we have yet to try an RV park with full hookups and just wanted to know ahead of time how this is handled.
Thanks,
Bruce
Hey Bruce,

Leave the black closed until full. Leave the grey open or closed, but close it one day before you dump the black tank, depending on water use. Wouldn't want to overfill the grey. Dump the black tank close the valve. Refill if possible with flush device or using hose or toilet valve and dump again. If you have a flush device you can do this several times to clean the tank and sensors. After closing the black tank valve for the last time, open the grey tank valve to flush the line. Then either close the grey tank or leave it open until the day before flushing the black tank again.....

Regards, Hamshog

PS- Nice forum name!!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Sounds like you screwed the pooch. Are you moving or set up in only one place?
Hey Perry,

If this is referring to me, what do you mean?? Usually set up for a while in our annual spot, but move a bit in the summer. Have tried to clean grey with water, softener, dawn, chemicals, still reads full... Again, how would I have "screwed the pooch"??

Regards, Hamshog
Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #37

The first time we used our RV I hooked up the city water fill hose, turned on the water, and went to the swimming pool with the kids. Came back 2 hours later and our RV was flooded. The grey water tank filled up and came into the RV thru the shower drain. Needless to say, I alway leave the grey water valve open now. We have a black water flush out on the other tank.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinFamily View Post
The first time we used our RV I hooked up the city water fill hose, turned on the water, and went to the swimming pool with the kids. Came back 2 hours later and our RV was flooded. The grey water tank filled up and came into the RV thru the shower drain. Needless to say, I alway leave the grey water valve open now. We have a black water flush out on the other tank.
Sounds like you left a faucet on inside😞
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I had been leaving the grey open, except the night before I knew I needed to drain the black. That way I had grey to flush the hose. Unfortunately it lets the tank dry above the water level and it made my sensors quit working. I must have put $50 of vaious soaps and chemicals down to clean the sides of the tank. Still kept showing 2/3 when it was empty. Finally when I got home, I poured half a bottle of Pure Power (I think), and let it's enzymes work for a couple days. Bingo, sensors work again. Now I keep both closed unless they need dumping or the wife is doing wash. Camping World carries the Pure Power blue colored stuff. I am now using it as THE regular additive. It stops odors, melts poop and paper and obviously cleans the sides of the tank.
I hope I don't go through the sensor thing again. Suggestions ranged from replacing the system to using yeast. Luckily, the last thing worked.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #40

When ever we leave the RV we turn off the city water.

Tags