Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #1

Newbie question on full hookups

When at an RV park with full hookups the holding tank's drain line is hooked up too but do you leave the HT valves open or when the tanks get full do you open the valve then close it after the tank empties?
I know this is a very basic question but we have yet to try an RV park with full hookups and just wanted to know ahead of time how this is handled.
Thanks,
Bruce
Ham_Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Bruce, leave the valves closed until the tanks are around 3/4 full, then dump the black water first then flush the lines out with the grey water. After you dump you should close the valves. Failure to do it this way will cause a buildup in your black water tank.
jmbusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A large number of people leave the grey water open and close the black water tank, dumping it when full. That's what I do. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #4

Heartland RV Club
I leave the grey tank open and black closed ,close the grey tank valve the night before leaving to get plenty of water for flushing out the hose after dumping the black tank.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

Leaving the valves open can lead to a lot problems that are never fun to clean up or fix.If the valves are left open your tanks will be mostly dry.You will not get a complete flush from the tank and certainly not through the hose.If the solids dry out in the tank or hose you will have a problem getting them clean again.I have found it best to keep the valves closed all the time.Let the chemicals liquefy the solids and control the order.Dump the gray tank whenever you need to BUT always have the gray tank mostly full when you need to dump the black tank.When your ready to dump, open the black tank valve only, let it drain, flush a few loads of clean water down and close the black tank valve.Now open the gray tank valve.All that nice soapy water will clean out the hose and you will be good to go for another cycle.This requires monitoring the tanks a lot but it beats trying to clean dry hard crap out of your tank and hose.
bobrw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
**Dried crap! Yuck!**
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
The crap mountain is not fun to deal with after it dries out and it has no snow on it
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
I leave the grey tank open and black closed ,close the grey tank valve the night before leaving to get plenty of water for flushing out the hose after dumping the black tank.

Wayne
JMHO, when you leave the grey valve open, all the RV park sewer gas vents through your grey tank , across your roof and into your site.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
A large number of people leave the grey water open and close the black water tank, dumping it when full. That's what I do. Rook
This is what we do also. Before we had a tank flusher, I closed the gray the day before then dumped it after the black to help flush out the hoses.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #10

When we first started full-timing, I always left the grey tank valve open. But I discovered that over time the valve would become almost impossible to operate. The slot that the blade slides in would become clogged with coffee grounds, food particles and other gunk. After I had to disassemble and clean the valve a couple of times, I decided it was easier to keep the valve closed and dump when needed. Besides, as others have noted, it is nice to have the (reasonably) clean water to flush the hose after dumping the black tank.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO, when you leave the grey valve open, all the RV park sewer gas vents through your grey tank , across your roof and into your site.
Not if you let your hose dip down like a P trap between the tank and the septic connection. Then just raise it up when you dump the black tank.

joe
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
**Dried crap! Yuck!**
Not to mention dry, hard TP. Been there, done that...... ONCE.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957 (before RV's had toilets in them). I leave both tank valves closed till they need dumping. Then I dump the black tank, then the grey tank. In all those years of RV'ing I've never had a tank backup or plugged valve or hose, so I must be doing something right.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a built in black tank flush. I keep the grey open and the black closed. I then fill the black tank till nearly full, drain, refill to about 3/4 tank and drain again.

If I am in an area where water conservation is in place, I then keep the grey tank closed to minimize use of city water and use the grey water to flush my my hose after dumping the black tank. I still follow up with a few gallons of city water to clean the hose a bit better.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags