Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Newbie question - on valuation of an rv

Hello,

Only my third post, so I hope this is in the right place? Anyway, we are still looking for our first RV (Class A diesel).

I'm currently looking at an RV that had the engine replaced 70 or 80k ago, but the rig itself has a combined mileage of around 160k.

I am wondering how this works when trying to get a fair price? I have only used the NADA guide twice, and I don't recall a way to differentiate between coach miles and engine miles.

The RV is the lowest priced rig on RV trader for that year/make/model (nationwide search).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

There was a recent thread about an engine replacement and does it help / hinder / raise caution / add confidence to a used RV purchase. Search for that.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #3

NADA doesn't even ask for miles on a diesel RV when determining value so a difference in "coach" miles and "engine" miles wouldn't be factored. As far as practical value and desirability, I would consider the total miles figuring that all the other systems, suspension, brakes, house appliances, have that much wear. A newer engine is a plus but not a value enhancer. Since the engine has 70-80K it's well broken in and deemed reliable.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #4

Quick update

WOW...
That rig we were looking at was beautiful, but I think it had major issues! Glad we had an angel in Palmdale (diesel mechanic) she took a look under the hood and probably saved us from catastrophic loses.
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

Good thing you had it inspected! Hope you find your "perfect" rig soon!!
Old 02-01-2019, 03:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchris619 View Post
WOW...
That rig we were looking at was beautiful, but I think it had major issues! Glad we had an angel in Palmdale (diesel mechanic) she took a look under the hood and probably saved us from catastrophic loses.
Curious what was the issue your inspector angel found?
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

I tell customers all the time.

A replacement engine adds value only if it has a warranty.

Otherwise a replacement engine rig is values the same as a similar one with a proper functioning engine.

A replacement engine can be a huge deduct depending on who and how it was replaced.

If an owner tells you he, his brother and the neighbor down the street replaced it. Be very cautious.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

If they blew up a diesel engine at 80K miles, I would be very concerned about what if any maintenance the owner does.

Tags