Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Newbie question - plugging into home elec

we just picked up our TT today. Can we plug into home power to run A/C and fridge? We have a 30 amp trailer and a 50 amp converter cord. Obviously, I know nothing about electricity (&#128515 but I suspect our home is more amps. We don't have our generator yet and have house guests coming for a wedding. Thanks from a rookie!
WVWilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Not an electrical expert but I do think you will need to install 30 amp service at your house or at least connect to a 20 amp outlet and be very careful what you use at one time. A/C will use almost all available 20 amp power especially at start up. Fridge and water heater should be run on propane. If you have a 30 amp trailer and you want to connect to your house power (20 amp or 15 amp) you will need a dog bone that you plug your 30 amp cord into and then the dog bone plugs into the outlet.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a good chance your house outlet is 15 amps and the TT ac will take most of that. You might be able to run the ac on house power and then run fridge on propane if you have a gas electric fridge.

If you run the ac keep other electrical in the TT to a minimum.
Know where the breaker is, you may need it.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
30a service to run all to include one air conditioning unit. 15a or 20a dedicated can run most everything except air conditioning, although there could be an issue if running water heater along with microwave or hair dryer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

I use a heavy gauge (12 ) extension cord at 3 different family members house's, when driveway camping. My 30amp cord goes into a 30 to 15 amp adaptor.

At one house, I need to run the cord in a window, to use a dinning room outlet, because it's the only 20 amp circuit.

At the other two, it's an outside 20 amp outlet.

I run the AC and converter to keep the batteries up along with TV and a coffee maker occasionally. To run the MicroWave, we turn off the AC.

The fridge and hot water stay on gas, unless we don't need AC.

If you need an adaptor, use one that is about a foot long or so, with a separate plug and receptacle.

The cheap rubber, short, adaptor that Wal-Mart sells, gets hot with the AC is running.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

Twenty amps will do fine running the AC. I have done it and also had a power cord that was almost sixty feet (yes 60') long and the AC did fine for a week like that. I did keep the water heater and fridge on propane too.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tony & Lori,

We plug our 30 AMP cord with an adapter into our garage outlet. If you look at your gauge for electrical use it will tell you what one AC unit uses. Turn one on and check, then turn it off. Then turn the other unit on and see what is uses and then off.

If there is enough amperage to run both, do. We can run both and a few lights.

We DO NOT run the microwave because it pulls more than both AC units together. We have ran the water heater but not at the same time we ran the AC units because we did not need all 3.

Run things and check your usage and then instruct your guests as to what to use. If it gets particularly hot during the day just close up the MH and have them come inside.

Showers inside could be an answer but they could still sleep in there, make coffee, and flush the toilet. Should do fine.

Good luck!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you're plugging in at home - you'll want to make sure your not trying to use a GFI outlet. You'll pop the GFI circuit as soon as you plug into it. I'm not sure that I can explain the specifics as to why that happens - just know that it will. Find yourself a receptacle without a GFI outlet and use that!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Also, verify that your 30A plug is wired correctly.

The question that needs to be asked is "What bad things can happen??"

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/elect...er-293899.html
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
If you're plugging in at home - you'll want to make sure your not trying to use a GFI outlet. You'll pop the GFI circuit as soon as you plug into it. I'm not sure that I can explain the specifics as to why that happens - just know that it will. Find yourself a receptacle without a GFI outlet and use that!
The outlet I use is a GFI and my RV does not pop it. I know it works because other things will cause me to reset the outlet. I don't know why yours pops with your MH...

This is something to keep in mind if your GFI outlet pops though...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
The outlet I use is a GFI and my RV does not pop it. I know it works because other things will cause me to reset the outlet. I don't know why yours pops with your MH...

Same here, one of the outside outlets is GCFI protected. Never popped.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post

I suspect it may have something to do with the size of the coach electrical system. When I plug in at home - I'm connecting a large DP with a 50 amp electrical system (with a Energy Management System that disables RV appliances based on what power is available to preemptively avoid problems). I suspect that an RV with a less complex electrical system may fare better. As stated - when plugged into a single 15 amp outlet without a GFI receptacle - all is fine with zero warnings on either the Energy Management System's display and/or the Progressive Surge protector.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #13

Call a Electrician and get a proper 30 outlet put in. You will not regret it and it is a quick install. Just need to get an Electrician to arrive.
tomkaren13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkaren13 View Post
Call a Electrician and get a proper 30 outlet put in. You will not regret it and it is a quick install. Just need to get an Electrician to arrive.
X2 No regrets here. I had an electrician put in a 50 amp plug for the MH. I had a plumber put in a dump site while doing a remodel on the house. Outside water faucet was already available. Full Hookups...oh yeah!

Tags