Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #1

Newbie questions regarding first time RV use

We're going to be picking up a new Roadtrek RS on Friday, and plan to take it home, pack our stuff, and go off on a short trip.

I've asked the dealer to sanitize the water tank for us before pick up - in part because I thought I saw a sticker on the rv saying "Do not use water system until sanitized - risk of death, etc, etc", but the dealer is saying there is no need to sanitize a new system before first use.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also, do most people travel with full freshwater tanks, or just anticipate being able to fill with water close to their destination?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Hi

I sanitize my fresh water tank, every year. And when new I also have done it, do you Need to??
Who knows but why not. A cup of beach in the tank, let it sit awhile and drain it, then fill again without any bleach and drain it again. Then your good to go, I always travel with a least half a tank
Of water, you never know what your going to need it for and if you find a nice place to stop for the night you have water, taking showers uses a lot of water, that's my 2 cents worth

Dale M

Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. It can't hurt to sanitize it but it can possibly hurt if you don't. Personally , we drink only bottled water. As far as filling tank before travel. We travel with 1/2 tank. The fuel mileage ,hardly if at all will be affected.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

As DaleM said it is very easy to sanitize your water tank. Just follow his instructions. It only takes about 15 minutes. Although I usually hook up to city water, I still sanitize my water tank for the occassional boondocking trip where I need to bring water in. I also purchased a water purifier at Walmart since water at different areas of the country have more or less minerals in it. Finally I bring some bottled water to take with me on my walks, sightseeing trips, etc. Have fun with your new camper!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

If I remember correctly my Tiffin user manual said to sanitize the tank before first use. My dealer did it for us. I would politely request that the dealer do it any way, if nothing else but for good customer relations...
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

I would sanitize and in my former MH I traveled with about 1/4 tank because it was a 100 gallon tank. With my newer one I usually travel with it almost full because it's a 30 gallon tank and about 165 lbs isn't going to change anything. I also find it handles better with weight in back. I would fill tank with water and bleach before leaving and when you get to your site sanitize the lines and dump the tank, refill and dump. You'll be good to go.

Enjoy
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

In this case, the purpose of sanitizing is to get rid of all the volatile plastic compounds from the tank and plumbing. Otherwise, your water will taste like plastic. After you have used it awhile, the purpose of sanitizing will be to get rid of possible bacteria or pathogens.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #8

I sanitize once a year, and maybe quickly before a big trip. Only takes a few minutes. I normally travel with at least a 1/2 tank from RV park to RV park, if going to a state park, then I might fill up. On the last leg before I get to my driveway, I might dump my water tank and leave the valve open so the remaining water gets out of the tank. My RV sits for a month to a month and a half while I am away at work and I like the tank as empty as I can get it.

When filling, I made a dual filter so that only clean water goes into my tanks or supplies coach water.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #9

I use the formula .12 X Gallons = how many ounces of Bleach for your tank. I leave it in the system at least overnight and then drain and rinse everything out.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden762 View Post
We're going to be picking up a new Roadtrek RS on Friday, and plan to take it home, pack our stuff, and go off on a short trip.

I've asked the dealer to sanitize the water tank for us before pick up - in part because I thought I saw a sticker on the rv saying "Do not use water system until sanitized - risk of death, etc, etc", but the dealer is saying there is no need to sanitize a new system before first use.

Can anyone comment on this?
We bought 2 new TTs and sanitized or flushed both before we used them. In the used RVs we've owned, we flushed and sanitized with bleach twice.

Quote:
Also, do most people travel with full freshwater tanks, or just anticipate being able to fill with water close to their destination?
No as all CGs and Resorts have water at the sites. Why use more gas to haul water which is very heavy? When on a trip we put about 10 to 15 gallons in the tank for hand washing, flushing the toilet etc. We also carry several gallons in washed out milk jugs for making coffee. When heading home from FL we spend 3 days and 2 nights on the road. We skip CGs in favor of truck stops and Walmarts.

Tags