Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Newbie, researching new rig

Having recently retired, I now have the time to start traveling. My wife and I decided that we want to join the RV lifestyle. our plans are to RV at least once a month locally, and one or two longer trips a year.

We have decided on a new diesel and have narrowed it down to either Tiffin or Newmar.

We been told that to get into the national park system, and for ease of maneuvering we should stick to around 35 to 37 feet. Because of this we have limited our search to this size. We have found the general floor plan that we like, but seem to be giving up something with everyone we look at. This weekend we looked at a 40 foot and it seemed perfect (remember thats coming from someone who has never done this before). But I am still concerned that it will limit us in terms of parks and I will have difficulty driving the larger coach.

Are these legitimate concerns or are they nothing to worry about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Pat & Deb! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs! We love our 40' Windsor!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patanddeb View Post
Having recently retired, I now have the time to start traveling. My wife and I decided that we want to join the RV lifestyle. our plans are to RV at least once a month locally, and one or two longer trips a year.

We have decided on a new diesel and have narrowed it down to either Tiffin or Newmar.

We been told that to get into the national park system, and for ease of maneuvering we should stick to around 35 to 37 feet. Because of this we have limited our search to this size. We have found the general floor plan that we like, but seem to be giving up something with everyone we look at. This weekend we looked at a 40 foot and it seemed perfect (remember thats coming from someone who has never done this before). But I am still concerned that it will limit us in terms of parks and I will have difficulty driving the larger coach.

Are these legitimate concerns or are they nothing to worry about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you are looking at the new diesels you will find that increased wheel cuts of up to 60 degrees will out turn the older shorter coaches. If you are looking at 40' you will find that a longer coach with the air dump or passive steering tag axle will turn very similarly to a 40'.

Our tour with the 60 degrees is able to get into most parking lots. Regardless of wheel cut is similar for all tall coaches and that is overhanging trees. Most coaches sit around 12+/- tall so older parks without tree maintenance may be a problem. National parks for the most part may/will have some sites that will be long enough to get into with a bit of maneuvering. You just have to take care.

Passive steer axles are interesting and IMO do not add a lot of functionality over a simple tag dump. If you look at the promotional material the decreased percentages they quote are compared to a non dumping axle.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The salesman for the Newmar said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 37 and 40, and that the 40 actually has a tighter turning radius. Hard to believe.

When I was researching campsites it didn't seem to matter whether you had a 37 or 40. It was 35 and below that could get in. I think my friends info might be out dated as many sites today seem to be catering to the bigger coaches.

Thanks again for the info. One step closer. would like to order by mid September
Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #5

If you bought a larger rig, you would not be the only ones that are interested in visiting the National Parks. All that we have been to have newer, more modern and big rig accessible sited very near the parks. Park your rig there, then take your tow-car through the park.

SECONDLY: In choosing a rig, compare slightly used 2-3 year old rigs comparable to what you are looking for and see how much you are LOOSING your first year or two. PLUS these have already gone through the frustrating process of the rigs having to go through the "warranty problem".

When we bought ours, the first owners had already, in just a couple of years, had to have both the refrigerator and one of the A/C units replaced. Whew!
Old 08-24-2016, 04:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Much is made of the "break in" that seems to be required of new rigs. I can state that our rig while it needed a couple things attended to was not onerous. From reading the different threads on this forum it appears that we would have had about the same amount of issues had we purchased used.

Depreciation is also mentioned as a rationale for buying used. Depreciation only applies when you sell. If you get the right floorplan, options and colors why would you sell? Most people change because units they are unhappy with the floorplan than change because of the repairs.

You have to hope they changed because of the floor plan otherwise the used unit they just sold contains mechanical problems.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

With our 40' Newmar Dutch Star (which we loved) we stayed IN many national parks often - Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Big Bend and countless national forest campgrounds, state parks, Corp of Engineer parks, county and city parks. The majority were without reservations. So, yes, you can get into the parks with a 40'.

Now...I will say you need to always do previous research and there won't be as many sites you'll be able to fit. The majority of our travels were west of the Mississippi but we've also done plenty in the Midwest and southeastern states - not in the NE. So...depending on where you're travels will be, don't hesitate to get the motorhome that you want. We also spent the summer traveling to Alaska and found awesome boondocking spots in beautiful areas and also used public parks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the response. Have you had any problems getting into campsites along the beaches of California?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #9

We were there in March/April, so it was "off-season" Which was fine with us, as there were no crowds, and thus no crowded campgrounds. Sequoia was interesting, as the snow was at about 10' along the roadway. The Visitor Center had an 8' culvert that you walked through, that led to the doors.

Our standard poodle loved it! She had never SEEN that much snow before!

Tags