Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Newbie! Sewer Hose set up..Need asap

We are going to a Rally this weekend to learn about RV life. Please do not say too many unkind things on this embarrassingly huge oversight of not checking on this the basic need!

Thought the dealer had included a basic sewer hose in the welcome kit. Nope! Then I was going to upgrade after learning about what is best.

Have been looking ast kit that also have the graduating stands. The reviews are all over the place. Camco, Titan Oh my!

Need to order ASAP. leaving Sat.
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Prest-o-fit Blueline.

https://www.prestofit.com/BluelineRVSanitation.html

I tried Rhinoflex but it wouldn't fit in the compartment for storing my hose. The connector was too big around.

Where will your hose be stored?

Also note you should get at least 20 feet. My kit came with two 10' hoses. Most of the time 10' will do but there are times when you have to have more.

I have just about every attachment for my hose as there are some oddball hookup situations that you will run into. Makes you wonder if the people who built the pedestal and sewer hookup ever camped a day in their life.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Operate the connection method, some are really hard to connect/undo. Slip connectors are easiest but tend to get stuck as the get older and the twist to lock/unlock are very hard to operate from my experience. Would be nice if they provided a wrench for these. A bit of sandpaper will ease the lock without causing problems. Some of the parks have small openings for the sewer so some adaptors are useful.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
WalMart sells several systems. Pick one for the weekend. You can always upgrade after you learn what you need.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alan said:

"the twist to lock/unlock are very hard to operate"

I agree and I put a bit of Vaseline in my twist connectors, helps a lot.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good idea.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. Get a simple hose. Use it and look around at what others are using. No need to upgrade right away.
Many only use a cheap hose and fittings without any supports.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

Thought the dealer had included a basic sewer hose

Not a silly thing to say at all. I've had some include one on new purcahses, and some not. I've had several.

I got this one from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-396...it-20/55635403

It felt a little tougher than the other ones in the store. I also liked it because it's in two sections. Sometimes you can be close enough to only use one section, like dumping. it also came with two sets of caps to close up each hose after use. Seems to be a cleaner way to store it. The elbows were nice. Mine was white but still kinda see thru so you can see when its stopped flowing.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I use Prest-o-fit Blueline.

https://www.prestofit.com/BluelineRVSanitation.html

I tried Rhinoflex but it wouldn't fit in the compartment for storing my hose. The connector was too big around.

Where will your hose be stored?

Also note you should get at least 20 feet. My kit came with two 10' hoses. Most of the time 10' will do but there are times when you have to have more.

I have just about every attachment for my hose as there are some oddball hookup situations that you will run into. Makes you wonder if the people who built the pedestal and sewer hookup ever camped a day in their life.
This is what I have been using since 2012. Get the storage caps for the ends of the hose. With them in, starting at one end, you can collapse and get the air out and takes less room to store. I have 4 10ft sections and have used all on several occasions.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Thank you looking up that link.

As of now for storing the hose, on our maiden voyage, was going to use a sealed rubbermaid container. Since the basement for this trip will be close to empty. Then figure it out!

Thanks
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

Getting the hose over the fittings seems to be the hardest part. Warming the hose end with a hair dryer will make it much easier.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #12

How long will you be using the MH before the rally? Most motorhomes can hold several days of use before they must me emptied.

If you have the luxury of a day or so you could wait until you are at the rally and I'm sure someone will be more than willing to assist you with selecting an appropriate hose that you could pick up locally.

You don't want to leave your drain valve open continuously. Let it accumulate several days, use plenty of water and then dump.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #13

All good advice posted, especially about getting a basic system and waiting to upgrade.

One other factor. Some states, such as Arizona, require that the sewer hose be off the ground. Don't know where you plan to camp or whether or not there is a camp ground requirement, but it may be nice to go ahead and purchase a flexible, telescoping support for the hose, just to have. Even if it's not a requirement, most all hoses laying on the ground will have a flat spot or even an uphill run to the sewer connection that can be overcome with the inclined support system.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

You didn't mention what RV you have. The square bumpers on a Class C will store many different hoses rather than putting them into a compartment. A frequent mod is adding 5X5 plastic fence post somewhere to store the stinks slinky.

Tags