Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Newbie Shore Power Issue

Hi everyone. I am a total newbie to the RV world after buying a 2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. The vehicle (16,000 miles) is currently parked in my driveway. I have been trying to plug the unit into my 110 ac plug in the garage, but keep tripping the breaker on the wall outlet in the garage. I have the proper 50 to 30 and 30 to 15 amp plugs, but am having no success in trying to get power flowing to the vehicle. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Chuck
chucksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Are all your loads off? Fridge? AC unit(s)? Water heater? What other loads are on that circuit? Turn everything off before plugging in and see if it still trips.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Chuck

I'm guessing that your wall outlet is putting out less amperage than your rig is trying to draw.
You might check the outlet amperage, and try it again with everything in the motorhome turned off.
Turn things back on one at a time...
I'd recommend fridge last- it's often a BIG user...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksin
Hi everyone. I am a total newbie to the RV world after buying a 2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. The vehicle (16,000 miles) is currently parked in my driveway. I have been trying to plug the unit into my 110 ac plug in the garage, but keep tripping the breaker on the wall outlet in the garage. I have the proper 50 to 30 and 30 to 15 amp plugs, but am having no success in trying to get power flowing to the vehicle. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Chuck
Chances are your garage receptacle is on a 20 amp. Circuit. The coach is at least 30. if you turn off everything in the coach, you will have the converter pulling current. They call the battery charger a converter on coaches, because it operates everything like lights that are 12 volts.
You can start turning things on one at a time, til it blows the breaker again and you will know your limit.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #5

Try a non GFI outlet, this may solve your problem.
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #6

Thanks everyone - for your very prompt answers to my issue. Since I'm not exactly sure what might be on or off, I'll try to figure that out first thing in the morning when it is light out. I am very heartened by your quick responses to my issues as I am more than a little unsure of myself since I got very little (actually no) direction from the person I bought the unit from. And I am planning to take it on a 1000 mile trip in two weeks to a college football game in Nebraska. So I may have more questions. Actually, I am sure I'll have more questions. Chuck
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You came to the right place. There is more technical RV know how on this forum than anywhere I have found on the web.

That said, the most valuable resource you might have right now is the previous owner, if that is possible. He will know the idiosyncracies of this particular unit, and could possibly shed light through that first-hand experience that we would just be guessing about.

Let us know what you find out.

Jim
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghauler View Post
Try a non GFI outlet, this may solve your problem.
This is probably your problem.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
This is probably your problem.
I don't think so. He says the breaker is popping. GFI problems don't typically pop breakers if a GFI outlet is in the circuit.

Jim
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #10

Jim, You are right, I'm sure. Unfortunately he ran off with another woman, and I purchased the unit from his ex-fiance who really didn't have a lot of working expertise with the vehicle. Could be a good country western song, but not too good for learning the ins and outs of an RV.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

Welcome and good luck with your new purchase and first trip. Just a note that if you plan on plugging in often at home you will be well served to get a 30 amp circuit run to you garage. You won't have to worry about what is on or trip breakers.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #12

If you have a gen, crank it and then you can turn everything off. Then you can try the garage plug.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksin View Post
Jim, You are right, I'm sure. Unfortunately he ran off with another woman, and I purchased the unit from his ex-fiance who really didn't have a lot of working expertise with the vehicle. Could be a good country western song, but not too good for learning the ins and outs of an RV.
Welcome to the forum. Good advice above.

I hope he ran off with my ex-wife. That would give him a real learning experience.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I can run the fridge and battery charger and one light over work bench in garage off my 20 amp outlet in the garage but nothing else. This is a GFCI outlet. I run the workbench light to tell me the circuit is on so I know the fridge is running.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, power