Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newbie Stopping Overnight Question

When stopping for the night at a park with pull through sites, can you put jacks down and slides out with toad attached? It is amazing how little we know. The RV dealer did a good job on the walk through. We were so ignorant we didn't know what we didn't know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wego2gthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
We never unhook if we are just stopping. Make sure your coach and toad are in the parking area and not sticking out. Just make sure that the lot is not extremely unlevel, which if you a in a RV park it wouldn't be.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done that several times.

Although my policy now is to disconnect the toad and drive it a couple miles so the transmission gets lubricated.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shouldn't be a problem. We've done it for many years with no troubles although I do disconnect the wiring to the toad since it has a hot charge line to the towed. But that might not be true now with the Magna as the dealer wired the line in from the front electrical compartment. They might have gone through a solenoid so that line is hot only when the ignition is on. I guess I need to check that too.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
We never unhook for just an overnight stop. Slides & jacks are okay!

There is so much to learn at first that it's a wonder that heads don't explode more than they do! iRV2 has your back so if there is anything you're uncertain about, ask.
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. This site has been. A great resource and all the folks have been very helpful. It is much appreciated!
Wego2gthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Slides, jacks, hot tub, trapeze; it's all good.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #8

Just remember if you have to drive up on blocks to level, then you may have to drive backwards to get back off of the blocks. Back-up with toad is a no no, so if you are just going to use the levelers, no blocks, then go for it, if blocks, then consider un-hooking prior to driving onto blocks to level. Just my $1.89 worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation)
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome and we all had to learn. There is a wealth of great information on this site so visit it regularly for some great information.

I use to stop at RV parks only, but with limited time with vacation and leaving early and late, I found it easier to pull into a Wal Mart or equivalent RV friendly site along the highway, usually no jacks or slides which allowed early departure without waking everyone up. I usually could get 3-4 hours of windshield time before the others woke up.

I also know from reading on here that people in RV parks do NOT like you pulling in late or leaving early (which I understand) so it serves the purpose of not disturbing your neighbors. Good luck and be safe! Remember to take things slow, when you make a mistake doing things slow, they tend to not be a serious of mistakes!

Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote