Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Newbie - Towing Questions

Hey All,

Haven't bought yet but are pretty close. We are on the Fence between a Jay Flight 33RBTS and a Sport Trek 327VIK (any pointers there?). But that isn't the point if my post. I don't have a tow vehicle, the dealer will deliver it to the seasonal site we are going to use this year. I will need one though at some point.

Does anyone have a good web site or a real good kindergarten explanation for me about payload, WDH, Airbags, UVW and GVWR? It seems the more I read the more confused I get and I think I might need a big rig to tow this thing now. I was thinking 250/2500 or F-150 3.5L EcoBoost w/ Max Tow.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Accaparant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

Can't get that deep into your quandary, but

Old 02-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Plain and simple, at 38 feet long and 11,000 pounds you will need at least a 2500 series. There are some F150s that could carry the tongue weight, (real world will be around 1400 pounds), but an F150 will not be enough for a 38 foot long wind catcher. If it were me I would buy a 3500 or F350 rather than a 2500 simply because it only costs a few hundred more and has lots more payload, (what carries the tongue weight).

Air bags are helpful if you bought too small of a truck but should not be needed since you are buying to fit the trailer.

Towing a 38 foot trailer as your first RV is extremely ambitious. I would recommend one 10 feet shorter as a first trailer. First trailer should be used also because in two years you will know what one you really need. Why take all that depreciation?

As for the other questions in your post there have been countless discussions. Use the search feature and you can find many hours of reading.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State.

Haven't towed a TT since 1988 so I can't be of much help.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #5

Get A Good Hitch

Don't pinch pennies here. Buy the best weight distribution hitch you can find. I had a Reese "Dual Cam" system that I moved through three Travel Trailers. Daughter and son in law bought a new Jay Flight last year. They got a newer version of the "Dual Cam" system. A little easier to deal with than the one I had.

Sudsy
Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 AM   #6

My two favorite videos to explain such things...

Matching Trucks to Trailers

https://youtu.be/qwFLOBrADBs
Old 02-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It all depends on how you plan to use it. If you are pulling less than an hour from home two or three times a year and using the truck as a daily driver buy on the small side. If you are towing long distances or many times a year buy on the large side. This trailer will require a 3/4 ton minimum to be towed safely. A 1/2 ton with one of those pretend high tow ratings will be overloaded on cargo capacity. Buy and tow based on what the GVWR of the camper is ( dry weight plus max cargo weight ) there is a sticker on the drivers side front corner of the trailer that has that information. there should be two together. One yellow one white. It gives all the weight specs. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE SALESMAN ABOUT WHAT WILL TOW IT THEY ALL LIE.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Thanks all for the replies...

The reason for this as a first? Our Child has a sleep disorder and requires a room of his own. So we need a bunkroom, from there it has come down to design and feel for both me and the DW. We have looked at used in our region and not had much success. We aren't new to towing I used to tow a boat on a 28 foot trailer, granted it's a lot different, and I know and fear that. It had surge brakes, it was only 5-6K pounds and I had a 5.4 V8 with tow package.

This will be for the most part a seasonal trailer, and moved 2-3 times a year. I will go to the Youtube links and this post was moved to the appropriate place on the forum so I can now see there is a sticky as well.

Thanks again for the advice, and replies.
Accaparant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accaparant View Post
Thanks all for the replies...

The reason for this as a first? Our Child has a sleep disorder and requires a room of his own. So we need a bunkroom, from there it has come down to design and feel for both me and the DW. We have looked at used in our region and not had much success. We aren't new to towing I used to tow a boat on a 28 foot trailer, granted it's a lot different, and I know and fear that. It had surge brakes, it was only 5-6K pounds and I had a 5.4 V8 with tow package.

This will be for the most part a seasonal trailer, and moved 2-3 times a year. I will go to the Youtube links and this post was moved to the appropriate place on the forum so I can now see there is a sticky as well.

Thanks again for the advice, and replies.
I found the 34 ft Travel Trailer easier to tow than the 26 ft boat had.Sudsy

Tags
newbie, tow, towing