Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Newbie water hose question

I all. We are new to the whole RV world. Just bought a new Winnebago view and have to start equipping it. Probably an obvious answer to this but we are confused on what length / diameter water hose to buy for filling our system. It's a small RV so storage is limited. Do most campsites have a water source within 10 feet so a 12 footer would work? Or should we get a 25 footer? Or 2 12s? We'd prefer shorter if that would work simply because it's less to coil and store. And is diameter something to think about? Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Many people have solved the problem of hose storage with the curled up hoses that look like air hoses.I use three different lenghth of hose in white.10ft.,25 ft,50ft,I have had occasion to borrow hose from other campers even with all mine put together in order to fill my tank because the water was so far away.If you do not plan on drinking the water then you can use any color of hose in the little curly variety.I only use the water in the park to shower and carry jugs for my coffee and bottled in fridge for drinking.The reason for white hoses is to not create the hose taste in your drinking water.Besides the length of hose make sure you get a presure regulator to put on before or on the line into your rv.The parks have sometimes too much presure for your rv system and it will cause leaks if no regulator.$9.95 at most walmarts.I created leaks in my first rv not having this info.Good luck and ask more questions others can help also..jeffp,dodge trk with fiver.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtbriten View Post
Just bought a new Winnebago view and have to start equipping it. Probably an obvious answer to this but we are confused on what length / diameter water hose to buy for filling our system. Any thoughts?
I have owned 3 Sprinter based Rv's and my last one was a View 'H' model. Had it for 5 years. I would say 2x12 hoses. That way you use only what you need but have the other just in case. White is for water you would bath or drink. A grey colored hose is used to do things that would otherwise contaminate your potable water. Like washing out sewer hoses prior to storing. I still have a few of my Sprinter things at home. BUT if you ever have a question give me a shout!
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would opt for the 25' hose if possible. Some places will have a close hook-up but then there are others that won't but I believe the 25' hose will take care of most any needs. Good Luck!
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I also highly recommend this wesite:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/View-Navion

Absolutely outstanding people. BUT STAY ON THIS ONE TOO!
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

After a few problems we finally settled on a primary 25' 1/2 inch (despite what some might say, 1/2 inch is more than enough to supply all your needs at adequate pressure) with a 15' back up jammed away in the hinter world. Color is not necessarily an indicator of an appropriate hose, but it should have an NSF approval. And as others already indicated, buy the inexpensive pressure regulator. Most standard hoses have a rather poor pressure rating.

Have fun!!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Would suggest that you drain the hose after you disconnect (of course), and then connect the two ends after you roll it up. Keeps the creepy-crawlers out of your hose.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

To enlarge on the hose thing,yes you drain it and when you hook it up at campground next time run some water through it. This gets any rust or stale water out of the faucet and fills the hose with water which you will find saves running pressurized air through your water system. Try flushing the toilet right after hook up and you will see it helps. I usually run the faucets before I flush after a new hookup. All fun anyway you do it. Jeffp.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Would suggest that you drain the hose after you disconnect (of course), and then connect the two ends after you roll it up. Keeps the creepy-crawlers out of your hose.
My hose stays connected to the coach. I put a cap on the end after disconnecting. I also keep a spray bottle of diluted clorox in the wet bay. I use it on the facuet and hose end before connecting. I use hose from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV. I keep a 15' hooked up and a 25' in the bay for longer stretches. They're not the cheapest that you can find, but should last a lifetime. I also use, and recommend, a good adjustable water pressure regulator (such as the Watts H560 for example).
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

I carry a 50, and two 25fters
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc

My hose stays connected to the coach. I put a cap on the end after disconnecting. I also keep a spray bottle of diluted clorox in the wet bay. I use it on the facuet and hose end before connecting. I use hose from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV. I keep a 15' hooked up and a 25' in the bay for longer stretches. They're not the cheapest that you can find, but should last a lifetime. I also use, and recommend, a good adjustable water pressure regulator (such as the Watts H560 for example).
What a great idea.. Never would have thought of that. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It helped!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
If storage is tight here's another option. I met someone at a campground that had one and he was pretty pleased with it. I think he said he got it from camping world, though they're easy to find on ebay also. I'd opt for in person purchased, vs online. He said his developed pin hole leaks after the first use, so exchange was easy. Sometimes ebay purchased items and exchange can be a little bit of a challenge and definitely not as convenient as a brick and mortor store front.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote