Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #15

I'm not sure if you are saying that the next 5 years you plan to only use the unit for 1 month per year, is that correct? Are you living in the USA or are you traveling from Europe to the US for your one month vacation?

If that is correct and you will use it for only 1 month a year..I'd say wait until you decide to move and retire... the depreciation you will see over 5 years will be over 50% the cost of the unit. The cost to store the unit (unless it's inside it will show terrible wear and the chance of tires rotting). Vehicles sitting for 11 of the 12 months a year can be a huge issue with seals, gas/diesel and about everything else.

In 5 years there will be many upgrades and changes to RV's and even with price increases you will never catch up with the depreciation.

I'd strongly suggest you rethink it if all it will do is sit around for 11 months of the year!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #16

TinCanTee, we could not have been more in line with each others thought and both posted the info at the exact time.... LOL

Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #17

Hi all,
thanks very much for your input.
All in all reading your comments I think it is better to wait buying a RV for 5 more years till we are retired.

A diesel is nice driving a lot of miles, which we are not going to do.
A gas is much cheaper and also very luxurious.

A gas V10 engine is the best they have?
Is it powerfull enough for a heavy 40 footer.
Does a gas exsist with the engine in the back? For less noise.

@TinCanTee
Have you visited NL.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #18

I don't know of any rear engine gas motor homes nor do I think there is anyone else in the game than Ford with the V10. This engine has been around awhile a Ford pretty much has engineered it now to as good of a gas engine as there is. However, there is word that it won't be around much longer. Rumor is Ford will be dropping the V10 for a smaller though more powerful Ecoboost Engine, aka turbocharged. They have had problems at this time with their currant crop of Eco's because of the computer system running it. Some have complained they just suddenly "die" when challenging a step grade or heavy load. Again, computer and electronics issues.
Also, when comparing diesel to gas, I would recommend that you totally disregard comments made by diesel fans that they last "750,000 to 1Million Miles!" There isn't an RV out there that the rest of the coach will last that long. These rigs are not over the road truckers that look to get that kind of mileage! Reminds me of the old Harley Davidson motorcycle stories that Harley engines would last 100K miles. Yeah, but you were rebuilding them every couple thousand, if not before. If a gas engine will last as posted earlier 100-150K, believe me that will more than cover the usable life you'll get from your motor home.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started thinking about this 4 years ago and I am in the process of buying my motorhome, gently used, gas, for full-time by myself no pets.

What I would advise is to join as many RV sites as you can and pour over the forums learning as much as you can about all that you can without specifics about a particular type, manufacture or model. When you get about a year out then start to narrow down to type, then manufactures, and the models that fit your purpose etc.

I found I was falling in love with almost everything I looked at in the beginning--you can get caught up not seeing the forest because of the trees when you are working on your dream. Then I kept going between motorhome or 5er--I no sooner thought I wanted one and then I'd hear something good or bad and change my mind. It can drive you nuts. Add to that diesel or gas, you'll give yourself and ulcer.

Learn all the things you can about things that are generic. They all have electrical systems, septic systems, fridge, stoves, microwaves, lighting, entertainments etc. By reading all the things in forums about these you gain knowledge and it may help you decide on the big three mentioned above. You learn about the manufactures--still in business, take care of their customers, quirks etc.

When you get to a year out, you should have a pretty good idea what you are leaning towards. A lot can happen in the industry between now and 5 years...cost of gas or diesel, financing laws and availability, companies in business etc, and current inventory out there to choose from. 5 years can mean a lot in technology advances as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #20

Thanks for all your input and keep doing this. It is very helpful.

I will wait FOR MORE YEARS to buy a RV.
In the meantime I will search the internet what floorplan will have our preference and all the other things that matter. What do I have to think about?

Size matters.
Gas engine are based on a truck chassis - length max.37 ft
Diesel enigine are based on a bus chassis - length from 36 till 45 ft
Is this correct?

Live and travel
To travel in a motorhome for several weeks and store is a total different use as live in a motorhome for several months and travel several weeks.
This has also to do with size. Tell me what I need to know.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans B View Post
Gas engine are based on a truck chassis - length max.37 ft
Diesel engine are based on a bus chassis - length from 36 till 45 ft
Is this correct?
That's fairly accurate. Has to do with engine placement more than anything else.

You'll go crazy looking over the various subtle variations in floor plan, but the big difference really boils down to which side of the coach the kitchen area is on - some are on the driver's side, some are on the passenger side.

Once nice thing I like about our old Bounder is that is has TWO doors. One behind in the passenger seat in the normal spot, and one back in the bedroom. I haven't seen many modern coaches with this. It makes packing a hell of a lot easier.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
That's fairly accurate. Has to do with engine placement more than anything else.

You'll go crazy looking over the various subtle variations in floor plan, but the big difference really boils down to which side of the coach the kitchen area is on - some are on the driver's side, some are on the passenger side.

Once nice thing I like about our old Bounder is that is has TWO doors. One behind in the passenger seat in the normal spot, and one back in the bedroom. I haven't seen many modern coaches with this. It makes packing a hell of a lot easier.
The door in the bedroom would give me some peace of mind if I ever needed to evacuate in a hurry. I've thought a lot about the need to evacuate in the wee hours of the morning. It's a little scary if I think about it too much. A rear door would be a plus, IMO. Unfortunately as stated, there aren't that many...that I've seen anyway.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RENT for the next 4 of the 5 years--new(er) motorhome each year, no expense the other 11 months and someone else's problem, try both gas and diesel as well as layouts. Lot's can change in 5 years--personal changes and world situation (economy etc). What is a good idea today may be a terrible idea in 5 years...
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #24

Hi all,
thanks for your input.
Although I am convinced NOT to buy a motorhome at this moment (I retire in 5 years). I keep searching.
My feeling says a 5-6 years old used class A diesel will be perfect but the prices are huge.
My budget is around 75-80
Now I found a gas pusher (Winnebago Destination 39G ??).

Give me the plusses and minusses .
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #25
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. My guess is there will be numerous rigs to look at in 4 years when you retire. The technology will continue to improve so you never know what will be available then. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
RENT for the next 4 of the 5 years--new(er) motorhome each year, no expense the other 11 months and someone else's problem, try both gas and diesel as well as layouts. Lot's can change in 5 years--personal changes and world situation (economy etc). What is a good idea today may be a terrible idea in 5 years...
The Chief speaks truth. One of the few universally acceptable, completely un-challengeable truisms regarding the RV industry is that there will ALWAYS be plenty of slightly used RVs for sale at any one time.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #27

I know, there are 100s for sale every day, but to come to a good decision I better be prepaired as much as I can. So that is why I start early.
We do not like all the floorplans
For living we think a 38-40 ft +slides will be more confortable as a 33-36 ft.
The max for gas is 37 and diesel over 37.
We are not convinced gas-diesel (help me out with the pro's and con's)
Is it better to choose for a 10 years old diesel as a 5 years old gas, if it has the same price?
Gas - diesel mpg differs a lot?

I hope to read your from your experienced rv'ers.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans B View Post
Is it better to choose for a 10 years old diesel as a 5 years old gas, if it has the same price?
Gas - diesel mpg differs a lot?
I hope to read your from your experienced rv'ers.
Every situation has its' own peculiarities, but GENERALLY, a diesel engine is going to last far longer than a similarly sized gas engine. 100K miles on a diesel is just out of the break-in period. 250,000 miles or more is not uncommon in medium and light duty trucks and such. A gasoline engine is nearing the end of it's useful life by 150,000 miles, if it even lasts that long. Since an RV is not a high-mileage unit, the rest of the coach will wear out before the diesel engine does.

That said, diesels are more expensive to service and keep running. It's the ability to spread those higher costs over half-a-million miles that makes a diesel engine cost-effective. If you don't put A LOT of miles on an engine, that $2000 or $3000 a year for maintenance can seem like a real hit.

Absolute diesel fuel mileage may be a little bit better, but in most of the US, diesel fuel is around 10% higher cost, so that's kind of a non-issue.

Tags