Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #1

Newbies from Florida!

Hi everyone! Great site and so much info to absorb! We are new to RVing, and plan on going full time by mid 2015. We have narrowed our search to the 2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador DBT( our first choice) or the Thor 36.1. We have been doing research for months, and will hit 2 upcoming RV shows soon, hoping to find the right fit.
In doing this ahead planning, for all you full timers out there, what do you have on your drivers license as your address- especially if you have sold your home? We are getting a mail service, but then we realized we needed an address for our drivers license! I don't think you can put a PO box there, can you? We will not have a home here in Florida after July 1, but will maintain Florida residency. We will set up at an RV park when we come back home in the winter months. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Ken and Mary ( and Bogey)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ken and Mary

I'm not a full timer but there plenty of members that are and give you lots of great advice. Good luck with your plans in retirement....

Safe and Happy Travels.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

We used St. Brendan's Isle mail forwarding service in Green Cove Springs as our physical address to obtain our driver's licenses in Florida. When we bought a lot for our coach we then changed the mailing address to the new lot.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard and Happy Trails......

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Welcome to the irv2 gang, Ken & Mary...and of course, the boss, Bogey! Sounds like you have already done some serious planning and are well on your way to full time fun! Glad you decided to join this community.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Caution Will Robinson.

If you're talking about a Palazzo, I would rethink that.

As to Holiday Rambler / Monaco - just purchased by Fleetwood - fleetwood is a GREAT company, but I don't know that I would buy a product built in the midst of such major change. There was some discussion that they weren't even going to make a 15 year model, but I see that the HR website has now changed. Fleetwood will mold it into a great brand I'm sure. I'll be interested to see how they develop over the coming years.

Welcome to making the tough decisions And welcome to the gang!!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Ken and Mary, Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your decision on the right rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ken & Mary! Welcome to IRV2! We're glad you joined the bunch!

Check out the "Fulltiming" area of the forum here Full-Timers - iRV2 Forums

You'll find all the info you need on establishing a domicile.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

Hi Ken and Mary

Glad to have you here with us in the forum.
I have to agree with Plasma800 he makes some very good points.
Good luck with your decision and Happy Trails!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #10

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! @Plasma800 and @ToniDi, why the "rethink" the Palazzo? Would love your input! As for the HR- we know about the merger of Monaco, HR, Fleetwood overseen by ASV. HR fell on bad times during the Navistar era, and ASV is hoping to bring the good name back. This model got very good reviews in several publications we have read. We are still looking and doing research. Any help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmar14 View Post
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! @Plasma800 and @ToniDi, why the "rethink" the Palazzo? Would love your input! As for the HR- we know about the merger of Monaco, HR, Fleetwood overseen by ASV. HR fell on bad times during the Navistar era, and ASV is hoping to bring the good name back. This model got very good reviews in several publications we have read. We are still looking and doing research. Any help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!!
Just a lot of people are having bad issues with the Pallazo's, and I just wouldn't take the chance... this is hard earned money and good times we are talking about. A demon lemon RV can put a halt to great plans, so I shy from potentiality.

This forum and google will highlight some research on the past issues, as well as the behavior of the dealers / manufacturers after sale support (which is less than favorable). I tend to like more sure bets.

I have a hard time trusting "publications" basically because I understand both the relationship the "publication" has with manufacturer (I have yet to read a publication that said anything was a stinker, but I see advertising dollars flowing....) .... and .... I understand that time in the field with real owners counts - something the publications just don't have on a new model.

Promising? YES!!! Sure Thing? Who knows... You won't find out until you buy one and give it a go... if it's a dud, you face the loss when you trade it in.. if it's a winner, you're golden!

So would I walk up to a roulette wheel in vegas and lay 250k down on black or red.... probably not.. well realistically, if it's a dud and you decide to trade it, you will probably only lose 40% of the purchase price (and hopefully you didn't overpay from being in an exuberant, excited mind-set), so just over 100k to find out (actually, I have no idea what the MSRP is, cause I really never considered it til they get things flowing smoothly)

I really like it though, and I understand why you do too - and I think it's more than a 60% chance of being a winner.... but I would still give it two years to see how it and the associated support shakes out. HR of old was a goliath, then the change to monaco, now the change to fleetwood?? Lots of details...

With changes there are changes everywhere... from telephone support team all the way down to dealer techs who knew the old HR, who sorta had a chance to know the new hr..... who might not know the newest HR... I dunno... I guess it's just a way of leaning for me.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with an answer.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #13

Thankyou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Just a lot of people are having bad issues with the Pallazo's, and I just wouldn't take the chance... this is hard earned money and good times we are talking about. A demon lemon RV can put a halt to great plans, so I shy from potentiality.

This forum and google will highlight some research on the past issues, as well as the behavior of the dealers / manufacturers after sale support (which is less than favorable). I tend to like more sure bets.

I have a hard time trusting "publications" basically because I understand both the relationship the "publication" has with manufacturer (I have yet to read a publication that said anything was a stinker, but I see advertising dollars flowing....) .... and .... I understand that time in the field with real owners counts - something the publications just don't have on a new model

Promising? YES!!! Sure Thing? Who knows... You won't find out until you buy one and give it a go... if it's a dud, you face the loss when you trade it in.. if it's a winner, you're golden!

So would I walk up to a roulette wheel in vegas and lay 250k down on black or red.... probably not.. well realistically, if it's a dud and you decide to trade it, you will probably only lose 40% of the purchase price (and hopefully you didn't overpay from being in an exuberant, excited mind-set), so just over 100k to find out (actually, I have no idea what the MSRP is, cause I really never considered it til they get things flowing smoothly)

I really like it though, and I understand why you do too - and I think it's more than a 60% chance of being a winner.... but I would still give it two years to see how it and the associated support shakes out. HR of old was a goliath, then the change to monaco, now the change to fleetwood?? Lots of details...

With changes there are changes everywhere... from telephone support team all the way down to dealer techs who knew the old HR, who sorta had a chance to know the new hr..... who might not know the newest HR... I dunno... I guess it's just a way of leaning for me.

THANKYOU ! You have given us a great deal of " food for thought!" We so appreciate all the seasoned info! Will keep you posted!!
Ken and Mary

Tags
florida, newbie, newbies