Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose? Newell or Prevost?
Newell 26 36.62%
Prevost 24 33.80%
Other 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel or Bluebird.

K
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #16

Don't confuse the fact that a Prevost is called a bus conversion with the fact the Prevost builds a chassis specifically for motorhome use. There are 3 versions. Bus, Entertainer and MH. Converters buy the MH chassis and install the necessary running gear to make it a great place to live. Newell does the same thing except that they build the chassis (or it's built to their specs) and install the necessary running gear.
These are both top notch motor homes and the leaders in this segment of the industry (no apologies to the other sellers mentioned previously). While others will certainly fill in the voids beginning at #3, Prevost and Newell quality is unsurpassed.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #17

Prevost. After all, if it's good enough for the President....

But seriously, I love the Volvo engine in the Prevost.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #18

Morning people ... I'm a simple kind of guy .. Who lives a simple kind of life ... I would take a PowerHouse Coach loaded of course ... Just because I'm a simple kind of guy..!
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnret05 View Post
Morning people ... I'm a simple kind of guy .. Who lives a simple kind of life ... I would take a PowerHouse Coach loaded of course ... Just because I'm a simple kind of guy..!
What's a Power House Coach?

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
FORETRTAVEL hands down. a solid coach, not a showboat.lol

Outlaw
Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #21

Here is the question.

"So here is the poll... Which would you buy today if you had the opportunity? Money is not an issue. We are not talking about value, cost or prestige. Just raw machine."

With these parameters, why in the world world anyone get a Foretravel or Blue Bird instead of a Prevost?

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #22

I would buy a Newmar Allstar and then buy a ranch with the difference.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
The last year the Wanderlodge was in production was 2009.
dfunde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #24

For me, a no brainer, Newell (if i had the money) outstanding quality coach.

We took a tour of the Newell facility in Miami, OK and from what we observed all their employees appeared to be very dedicated and took pride in their work at all stages of the coach build.

Best regards

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #25

Friend of ours was on his 3rd Prevost and he had nothing but trouble with the last one. Price wasn't important to him. Had Newmar custom build a 2005 Essex then traded for a 2007 Essex and just traded the 2007 on a custom built King Aire. Said he would never go back. He's the one that sold me on my old used '06 Essex.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #26

A big 52' coach built anyway you like. It's a TC rated as a Class A coach powerhouse coach .com...
Marc
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
hmmmm.... personally I'd prefer a Bluebird Wanderlodge, with the new foretravel at #2
I would switch the order they are by far the coolest motorhomes out there. Too bad Bluebird went belly up, they just make an old turd like me get nostalgic and misty eyed
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #28

So having the privilege of working on both mentioned; many different model years, and most of the converters in the case of Prevost’s, it’s a no brainer in my opinion, Prevost.

Now that I’ve given my “opinion” I’ll give my reasons. First let me say I think they are both a superior coach over just about everyone else’s, in construction, durability, craftsmanship & function. Newell was built from the ground up with a motor coach mentality, good or bad that’s the way it is. Conversions are just that, whether or not it’s a Prevost, MCI, Eagle, Neoplan, Freightliner truck or MANN, it’s normally a commercially built vehicle that has passed all the DOT specs for a commercial passenger vehicle. I haven’t heard of any motorhome manufacture that has done this, I maybe wrong, and if I am I’d like to know. Busses & Trucks have accidents quite often and serious injuries happen, these commercial manufactures are put thru the ringers having to meet the changing requirements of the governing bodies of different countries. So take Prevost (also part of Volvo) built in Canada, one of the most used busses in that country not too far behind in USA & Mexico, still building more busses then probably all the coaches being built today (yes, not that hard I know). As we all know and have seen, any business can just close up and disappear. More likely that a coach manufacture or converter will be gone before most of the commercial vehicle manufactures.

“Most” of the converters don’t touch the factory chassis, they just add to it. Some will change outthe dash electronics and that can be problematic but can always be changed/updated.But as far as the rest, it’susuallynot touched. What does that mean, well if you own one you can get the disk and have your entire schematic’sof the chassis, wiring, pneumatics, structure, etc.. and so can every authorized shop from coast to coast. Most area’s will have a factory rep close by that is normally trained in most areas and ifdoesn’t know, knows who does. Working on a Prevost is like working on a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc… might not be fun or easy but at least you can get answers…

An old saying at the campfire “Once you own a Newell you’ll you won’t own anything else - - cuz you can’t sell it”

Now all that being said…. I own a Monaco Dynasty, but it was said that money wasn’t an issue….
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote